GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Royal Flushed(Caps-Sabres Game #1) 1.14.2021

Washed Up 29YearOld

Bro Do You Even Hockey?
Apr 29, 2018
Buffalo NY
Don't get me wrong, I have no faith in Hutton. I do like Ullmark but he isn't exactly a high end starter. But in terms of takeaways from last night the team defense was brutal. Turnovers, sloppy changes, bad coverage, lack of sustained possession. Hutton got hung out to dry.
Agreed on that altogether they sucked and unprepared in terms of coaching just saying going forward, goalie is my num. 1 position I want to improve if I want to make the playoffs. I really do think it is that bad with Hutton. Not all of them were unstoppable. I sincerely think he sucks that bad

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes he was.

That first goal against was an epic display of sucking. He’s not great defensively but that was just him completely forgetting how to play hockey.

Then the period-ending fumble and lack of pinch with 5 seconds left? High event hockey... for everyone.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
To further point out how quick many are to beat up Risto (and McCabe for that matter) without looking at how they did.

They were great in their minutes last night

CF% —-> 59%
SCF% —>88% (7 for/1 against)
HDCF% -> 100% (3 for/0 against)
GF% ——> 100% (2 for/0 against)
xGF% —-> 72%

Thats a pretty awesome game from that pairing.

But Risto gets stuck on the ice for that really crappy sequence from Montour you posted. So he gets piled on. Its kind of ridiculous.

I was frustrated and posted that video, but I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it doesn't matter. Sabres fans have forever had their whipping boys, and for whatever reason the fanbase completely focuses on a player's weakness over their strengths. The list isn't short - Stafford, Afinogenov, Ennis, Foligno, Vanek, Zhitnik, Krupp, the list goes on and on. It's really a time honored tradition in these parts...

Risto could play like this every night, and you'd still get this kind of analysis:

Enhance...

upload_2021-1-15_14-27-51.png

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I was frustrated and posted that video, but I came to the conclusion a long time ago that it doesn't matter. Sabres fans have forever had their whipping boys, and for whatever reason the fanbase completely focuses on a player's weakness over their strengths. The list isn't short - Stafford, Afinogenov, Ennis, Foligno, Vanek, Zhitnik, Krupp, the list goes on and on. It's really a time honored tradition in these parts...

Risto could play like this every night, and you'd still get this kind of analysis:

Enhance...

View attachment 384583

The reason Risto is still here is because when he was put on the market nobody was willing to give us anything of value in return. If another team thought he was any good they would've offered us something of decent value and he'd be theirs.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
How was Reider? I really liked him for us, would have rather brought him back than bring in Nordstrom

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I'm just gonna say that I love Jeff Skinner and hope he plays as much as possible during his contract here. Always finds ways to be dangerous regardless of his linemates.

(I also quite liked Eakin, hopefully it stays that way)

Yesterday Skinner tried to score even while lying down when he was pressed to the ice. :)

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
How was Reider? I really liked him for us, would have rather brought him back than bring in Nordstrom
I like him a lot so far. Standout player in our scrimmages then had a really nice debut last night. I'm sure he will have garbage games but the framework is there for being a solid bottom six player with his skating and effort.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Yes he was.

That first goal against was an epic display of sucking. He’s not great defensively but that was just him completely forgetting how to play hockey.
It hurt me just to watch that goal-against. I've seen ice crew shovelers who were less flat-footed stuck-in-mud. (sorry, I missed the GDT if that was already bitched about.)

Reactions: joshjull

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Ugly: How do you not have Doug Allen doing the anthem for the first game in 10 months? I just don't understand this organization.
I didn't think about this at all, but yeah, definitely a head scratcher

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
great game from reider. whenever I watched Calgary games last year I didn't pay too much attention to him, but he seems like a really nice bottom 6 player. great speed, smart, always seems involved in the d-zone or creating chaos around the net on offense

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
I don't even like Doug Allen and he was the right call. If he couldn't/wouldn't, then just fill the arena with sweet pipe organ anthems or drop the whole nonsense all together.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->