GBU The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: Royal Flushed(Caps-Sabres Game #1) 1.14.2021

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

- Hall can make and finish plays.
- The powerplay ought to be dangerous.
- Some of the defensemen, including Dahlin, getting the greenlight to join and lead the rush without having to post up at the blueline.
- The PK almost scored... I guess that's a good?

The Bad:

- So rusty, so sluggish. It looked like they were skating in oatmeal.
- Some weak penalties to take.
- Defensive zone breakdowns and the d-men in general all took turns being assy in their own zone.
- Missing a few great chances - two posts, the Sheahan-Lazar tandem miss.
- Too many fly-bys in the offensive zone. Jack, get engaged man.

The Ugly:

- Staal going to the room. Dirty hit by Dowd - point of contact is the head, coming from the blindside. Bleh.
- Staal's pass.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Disagree Dowd's hit targeted the head. Looked lower than that.

Team seemed disinterested as per the norm for the last decade or so.

Hall looked good; enjoy him while his 1 year rental lasts.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Good
Dahlin playing 25+ minutes will get him into shape (or turn him into Lhd Ristolainen)
Olofsson is still Goalofsson

Ugly
All our bad players are still bad players

Reactions: Wood Man

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Good:
- Hall in general was good
- Cozens had a quietly solid debut, first NHL point
- Thompson is clearly improved, but I still don't like him on the 1st line
- Skinner had jump and did basically all you could ask of a guy playing with two 13th forwards

Bad:
- Eichel looks slow and just wasn't playing hard enough even though he still was involved in most of our offense
- Staal turnover was as bad as it gets
- Dahlin was bad defensively

Ugly:
- Everything about the defensive effort
- The current level of physical fitness

It's only one game and we haven't played in 10 months while Washington was up to speed only 5 months ago. That's probably a big advantage and with a few bounces this could have been a win. But still didn't like what I saw from the most important players.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
G:
Eichel 2 points
Hall 2 points

B:
Not finishing many of our chances

U
Hutton: He cannot beat a bad beer league team
Dahlin: Please, I'm sorry for ever wanting Wilson and Smehlik off the team. This may have been his worst ever game. Made the Myers mistake of gaining weight and slowing himself down. Exactly what I said would happen because I saw the same exact thing 10 years ago with Myers
Staal: When your best play is getting a concussion to give your team the PP, you know you had a shit game
Risto: Going to Risto as always
Every line but the top line: Without the Eichel line, this team goes 2-54 in a bad beer league

Beyond Ugly:
Thompson: Puck died on his stick so many times tonight. He NEVER should sniff the Eichel line again. He is a 3rd liner. Put Cozens up there

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Fun fact:

Of all the NHL games played so far we allowed the fewest expected 5v5 goals...

Reactions: valet

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
The Good:

- Hall can make and finish plays.
- The powerplay ought to be dangerous.
- Some of the defensemen, including Dahlin, getting the greenlight to join and lead the rush without having to post up at the blueline.
- The PK almost scored... I guess that's a good?

The Bad:

- So rusty, so sluggish. It looked like they were skating in oatmeal.
- Some weak penalties to take.
- Defensive zone breakdowns and the d-men in general all took turns being assy in their own zone.
- Missing a few great chances - two posts, the Sheahan-Lazar tandem miss.
- Too many fly-bys in the offensive zone. Jack, get engaged man.

The Ugly:

- Staal going to the room. Dirty hit by Dowd - point of contact is the head, coming from the blindside. Bleh.
- Staal's pass.

This pretty much covers it for me, although I’d add Hutton to bad. Not atrocious but unsettling play at several points in the game. Can’t really put a ton of blame on him given the tire fire in front of him.

I was indescribably amped up for this game and that energy quickly turned to disappointment and anger watching the game. I really make an effort to keep an even keel, so I’ll look forward to tomorrow. But it’s definitely hard when a lot of the usual suspects and the expected, unaddressed weak points discussed ad naseum are the culprits.

It’s a fine line between cautious optimism and naive masochism.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
G:
Eichel 2 points
Hall 2 points

B:
Not finishing many of our chances

U
Hutton: He cannot beat a bad beer league team
Dahlin: Please, I'm sorry for ever wanting Wilson and Smehlik off the team. This may have been his worst ever game. Made the Myers mistake of gaining weight and slowing himself down. Exactly what I said would happen because I saw the same exact thing 10 years ago with Myers
Staal: When your best play is getting a concussion to give your team the PP, you know you had a shit game
Risto: Going to Risto as always
Every line but the top line: Without the Eichel line, this team goes 2-54 in a bad beer league

Beyond Ugly:
Thompson: Puck died on his stick so many times tonight. He NEVER should sniff the Eichel line again. He is a 3rd liner. Put Cozens up there
The top line sucked. How can you say it was the only non-ugly line then crap on Thompson when the line was not the best line on the team and Eichel played terrible. None of that adds up.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I have to admit I’m a little bummed that Dahlin doesn’t look more confident. I was hoping he would mature a lot in this 10 month break and it would show up on the ice.

Reactions: Bferra13

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The top line sucked. How can you say it was the only non-ugly line the crap on Thompson when the line was not the best line on the team and Eichel played terrible. None of that adds up.

The top line was the best line. They had the scoring chances and produced. Didn't dominate like we'd like, but they still had the results. Eichel and Hall that is. Thompson does not have the talent to be playing with those two

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
U: Dowd

Seriously, f*** that no talent ass clown

Not intended to inflame anyone here but Staal made the mistake of skating through middle ice with his head down and then watching the puck after he sent it.

It was a brutal blind side and that piece of shit named Dowd should be suspended. However, we are all taught as early as peewees never to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->