Blue Jays Discussion: The Good News: ALCS. the Bad News: More Harold Reynolds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Please explain how Saunders is useless. He is a better defender than Revere and has a better bat. So that makes him useless, eh? Travis also wouldn't be complete shit with the bat. Plus, I'd advise you take a look at Travis' defensive stats...

woah what? revere is a career .300 hitter saunders in .230, on the jays revere is more useful as he brings speed and contact, saundes brings nothing. we already have pillar making super man plays on the field so why sacrifice the best contact hitter for a scrub who can only defend

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
After watching Travis, I cant see the D issues that some said he had coming into the season. His talent with the bat has shined which was projected, but his D has been good-great as well, not on Goins level but still very good defensive 2B

I agree. I remember that his defense was a concern entering spring training. But he turned out to be a pretty good defender. It's a shame that he got hurt, he was such a big piece for us.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I agree. I remember that his defense was a concern entering spring training. But he turned out to be a pretty good defender. It's a shame that he got hurt, he was such a big piece for us.

but it paved way for goins to play and turn out to be a defensive beast, something travis might not have been, even though he can hit way more than goins

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
woah what? revere is a career .300 hitter saunders in .230, on the jays revere is more useful as he brings speed and contact, saundes brings nothing. we already have pillar making super man plays on the field so why sacrifice the best contact hitter for a scrub who can only defend

I would usually reply with a lengthy in-depth post that shows Saunders is better than Revere using analytics. But I fear if you attempted to read it your head might explode. So for your own safety, I'll leave it be...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
It's also not Price's fault that Goins completely botched what should've been a routine out on a flyball. Both players are to blame for entirely different reasons.

ya true dat. goins fault for botching the ball and prices fault for ******* in the playoffs

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
but it paved way for goins to play and turn out to be a defensive beast, something travis might not have been, even though he can hit way more than goins

We already knew that Goins could defend. Yet again, I recommend you look at Travis' defensive stats.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I would usually reply with a lengthy in-depth post that shows Saunders is better than Revere using analytics. But I fear if you attempted to read it your head might explode. So for your own safety, I'll leave it be...

k so im right ur wrong there its settled and final

Trouba95*

We were fine when Goins was hitting like no ones business but now he's back to his old self. Travis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Goins

Trouba95*

I really want to see Pompey in LF instead of Revere rn, but it won't happen.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Who would you rather have playing?

Goins/Revere or Travis/Saunders

and don't forget about pompey... wish he was more useful than stealing base.

goins revere is the combination used to go in the playoffs, not disregarding price and tulo, but u wonder how many runs or hits that donaldson got with revere hustling on base with his speed over anyone else

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
k so im right ur wrong there its settled and final

f*** it...

Let's take a look at the last three seasons of both Revere and Saunders.

Saunders wRC+ from 2012-2014

2012: 108 wRC+ (8% better than a league average hitter)
2013: 101 wRC+ (1% better than a league average hitter)
2014: 126 wRC+ (26% better than a league average hitter)

Revere's wRC+ from 2013-2015

2013: 92 wRC+ (8% worse than a league average hitter)
2014: 91 wRC+ (9% worse than a league average hitter)
2015: 98 wRC+ (2% worse than a league average hitter)

I'll leave it at that...

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I really want to see Pompey in LF instead of Revere rn, but it won't happen.

i wouldnt. revere is the perfect guy we need, a contact speedy hitter. hes a rich mans ichiro. pompey is probably slower than revere and pompey can only steal bases

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
f*** it...

Let's take a look at the last three seasons of both Revere and Saunders.

Saunders wRC+ from 2012-2014

2012: 108 wRC+ (8% better than a league average hitter)
2013: 101 wRC+ (1% better than a league average hitter)
2014: 126 wRC+ (26% better than a league average hitter)

Revere's wRC+ from 2013-2015

2013: 92 wRC+ (8% worse than a league average hitter)
2014: 91 wRC+ (9% worse than a league average hitter)
2015: 98 wRC+ (2% worse than a league average hitter)

I'll leave it at that...

wtf is wRC? also wheres reveres 2012 wRC? probably better than saunders combined, that's y u didnt show it

mikebel111*

wtf is wRC? also wheres reveres 2012 wRC? probably better than saunders combined, that's y u didnt show it

I had a feeling you would ask that.

WrC is a stat that measures the overall value or who is the better hitter basically.
So despite Revere's high contact ability, he still is a below average hitter because he hits singles or nothing.
It would be better if Saunders played over Revere but sadly it's not an option.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
I had a feeling you would ask that.

WrC is a stat that measures the overall value or who is the better hitter basically.
So despite Revere's high contact ability, he still is a below average hitter because he hits singles or nothing.
It would be better if Saunders played over Revere but sadly it's not an option.

but u gotta wonder how many times revere beat out the call at 1st base that saunders wouldnt have. that lead the way for a few jd hits

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
but u gotta wonder how many times revere beat out the call at 1st base that saunders wouldnt have. that lead the way for a few jd hits

Here's the funny part... Saunders wouldn't have to beat out the grounder because he actually has some pop and wouldn't rely on beating out weak grounders. Plus, Saunders wouldn't be batting ahead of Donaldson.

Trouba95*

i wouldnt. revere is the perfect guy we need, a contact speedy hitter. hes a rich mans ichiro. pompey is probably slower than revere and pompey can only steal bases

When Revere doesn't hit his patented single, he's useless. Pompey is a better defender with a better arm. He has the ability to be a better offensive player, too.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank

That is completely irrelevant to the argument.

To jump onto the point that you quoted, part of the reason why Ben Revere is not a good lead-off is because when you watch his ABs, he either bats a single, or gets a routine groundout/flyout/etc. He's not a multifaceted enough hitter compared to the big bats, and even the bottom of the order. Without the single, he's completely useless. Sure he has the speed to steal bases, but if you need to rely solely on stealing bases, then there's something wrong with the diversity of your toolbox (or lack thereof). The Jays need a better bat at #1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad