OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've just started reading Stephen King's new book Billy Summers . I've had a love/hate relationship with his storytelling over the years but the man sure knows how to come up with an interesting premise. The ending/payoff is often where it gets complicated but the jury is still out on that ATM :laugh:

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Because I'm returning to the private sector in a higher management position, I need to refresh my 'managerial skills'. So back to reading some books on management! So I've started reading 'The Making of a Manager : What to do when everyone looks at you', by Julie Zhuo, an ex-vp at Facebook. Some parts I flush because redundant and doesn't apply to me (I'm not new to management). Some are interesting tid bits.

I'm far from a managerial role, but I've read the one minute manager before, it's a quick and interesting read.

I believe it was suggested in the Laurentian Bank CEO's departure letter when I was doing an internship there a handful of years ago.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
A. J. Liebling’s, Mollie and other War Pieces. Liebling, who was closely associated with the New Yorker magazine, was one of America’s best writers of the first half of the 20th century. If you want to improve your writing skills just read anything Liebling wrote.

Liebling is the greatest. His boxing book is maybe the best sports book I've ever read.
Had never heard of him but he sounds like a good one to check out - thanks!
Currently started reading Freakonomics, I know I'm late to the party but it should be a good one.
Those Freakonomics books are fun and if you're anything like me you will fly through it.

Reactions: QuebecPride

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Liebling is the greatest. His boxing book is maybe the best sports book I've ever read.
Liebling was a greater writer. He was also a fascinating character and social commenter. Oh, to have had the opportunity to have sat with Liebling in a small restaurant in Paris or New York in the late 40s and 50s and listen to him talk about sports, food, politics, culture and the human condition. It would have provided what we all need: illumination.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Finished reading 'Bear: The Life and Times of Augustus Owsley Stanley III'.

Owsley was THE acid king of the late 60s on the west coast. He was the sound man for the Grateful Dead on and off through the 60s/70s and designed their famous 'wall of sound' speaker set up.

Fun read. He was definitely a pretty interesting character.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I'm reading Critique of Pure Reason by Kant, it's the best book I've ever read!

good for you. that's a heavy hitter for sure. i remember trying that one a long time ago and I doubt I'd fair much better today though I know a bit more philosophy slang.

i did watch a few videos of some dude explaining it and even then I didn't get too far lol. what the guy laid out though was pretty great which i could barely gleam from reading it. Kant's influence is huge for just showing that we weren't blank slates.

the guy also said that he was setting out to kind of preserve religion from science or 'reason' in a way. I don't know if he was editorializing or that that was one of Kant's goals with the book.

Reactions: FF de Mars

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
I'm far from a managerial role, but I've read the one minute manager before, it's a quick and interesting read.

I believe it was suggested in the Laurentian Bank CEO's departure letter when I was doing an internship there a handful of years ago.
Will need to buy this one!

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
good for you. that's a heavy hitter for sure. i remember trying that one a long time ago and I doubt I'd fair much better today though I know a bit more philosophy slang.

i did watch a few videos of some dude explaining it and even then I didn't get too far lol. what the guy laid out though was pretty great which i could barely gleam from reading it. Kant's influence is huge for just showing that we weren't blank slates.

the guy also said that he was setting out to kind of preserve religion from science or 'reason' in a way. I don't know if he was editorializing or that that was one of Kant's goals with the book.

You should try it again. The trick is to read the same section many times and meditate upon it until you assimilated it; because he builds from one concept to another as stepping stones, he explains everything but if you miss one step you get lost. You're right when you say he showed we aren't blank slates, as suggested by previous philosophers (Hume, Wolfe). He noted the difference between empirical and a priori knowledge, he coined that whole a priori thing, it's facinating. I'm reading Kant as a prep for Schopenhauer, I started to read Schopenhauer but found out he basically used Kant's methodology, and didn't stop ranting about Kant saying we have to read him to fully understand the world as will and representation!

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Lots of background from his time in the Habs organization in the 1960's and 70's. He was head scout for awhile. Talks about all of the teams he coached. Goes into how he left the Habs in 1979 and how Irving Grundman ended up as Sam Pollock's replacement. Ken Dryden had Scotty name his 8 greatest teams of all time, go over their strengths and weaknesses and then matchup playoff style to determine his overall best team of all time.

Enjoy Ken Dryden's writing style, was clear he is a fan of his old coach. Alot of the book is Scotty's thoughts on hockey...players, teams. Great career. Good read.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Currently reading a modern adaptation of an oldie-but-goodie chinese work, loosely translated as "Behind Gilded Doors". I don't say "book" in this case because there are actually 10+ volumes to this work.

Put simply and very succinctly, it details and chronicles the lives of a variety of women living/serving in the harem of Emperor Wanli (1572-1620) of the late Ming Dynasty of China. The complicated story and many characters congregate in a loose but surprisingly coherent overall narrative despite the many diverging viewpoints and motivations.

What I like most about this work is its very high historical accuracy, stark realism of human interactions in the palace, and the genuinely relatable women populating the pages of the books.

Also, I am a history buff and I've read more than my fair share of monographs pertaining to China (culture, history, mythology, economy, imperial dynasties, and more) and I STILL learned quite a bit about etiquette and life as a concubine/servant in the late Ming Dynasty.

I heartily recommend this book series.

Last edited:

ROEN

Writes for Habsworld
Feb 18, 2008
www.habsworld.net
Getting through Andrew Robinson's book on Champoleon and ancient egypt ... Also reading another Andrew Robinson (another author) book, Stitch in time which is based off DS9s Garak ... my favorite Star Trek character

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Just read the Strugatsky bros sci fi masterpiece 'Roadside Picnic'. It was adapted by Tarkovsky into the film 'Stalker' which I found boring but I'm willing to give another shot as Tarkovsky is pretty amazing.

But for the book itself, it's a great read. Pretty intense near the end. It's one of those subtle ones that likely needs many reads to 'really' get. Still found it very engaging on the surface though.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Reading Ray Dalio’s Principles at the moment. Really enjoying it.

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017
1984....actually never read it before.

After that may re-read Helter Skelter....I'm on a Manson kick again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad