OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Finished reading I will Teach you to be rich by Ramit Sethi. It's a rather interesting personal finance book. It concentrates on the big ticket stuff you need to change in order to improve your money management. It's worth a read and great for beginners. It's based on the US system (401K, IRA, etc.), but you can always translate the recommandations into RRSP and TFSA, etc. Easy to read, in-your-face type of writing. Nice tips on negotiating salaries, big purchases and whatnot. I recommend

upload_2021-10-5_9-34-42.png

Also started reading Happy Money, which is a book on the research of spending in the pursuit of happiness. You should concentrate on experiences, turning you activities into treats, buying time, experiencing stuff with others, not by yourself, etc. It's a quick read and I'm about halfway through. But useful reading.

upload_2021-10-5_9-37-58.jpeg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Started reading a book that my friends wife finished,much easier read in English than the Greek books I was given years ago. Took a while and noticed that the author looked an awful lot like a friend of hers that I've met a few times,turns out it was,who knew:dunno::doh::dunce:

41gOcFFv7WL._SX378_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Reactions: snakeye and Fenris

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
I'm on a streak re-reading Kurt Vonnegut. Mother Night last week. Jailbird this week. Sirens of Titan is up next with Timequake also in the queue.

After that, I'll have had time to buy the rest of his books. Dec, Jan and Feb will make up the Vonnegut season..

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I'm on a streak re-reading Kurt Vonnegut. Mother Night last week. Jailbird this week. Sirens of Titan is up next with Earthquake also in the queue.

After that, I'll have had time to buy the rest of his books. Dec, Jan and Feb will make up the Vonnegut season..

Haven't read him in a couple of years. I always thought Cat's Cradle was a little bit overrated but adore Breakfast of Champions, which Vonnegut actually gave a low grade to when assessing his own novels.

Fergy22

Nov 9, 2003
Ft Wayne
The Last Boy : Mickey Mantle
by Jane Leavy.

Biography of the X rated life of the Yankee superstar. No stone left unturned.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm on a streak re-reading Kurt Vonnegut. Mother Night last week. Jailbird this week. Sirens of Titan is up next with Timequake also in the queue.

How’d you get into Vonnegut?

Some really fascinating stuff he put out: Kurt Vonnegut: How To Write With Style - Farnam Street

For the uninitiated, you can readily sense the appeal:

“After his death, he was hailed as one of the most important contemporary writers and a dark humor commentator on American society.”

Interesting link about his works: 12 Best Kurt Vonnegut Books, Ranked By Reading Order

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
How’d you get into Vonnegut?

Some really fascinating stuff he put out: Kurt Vonnegut: How To Write With Style - Farnam Street

For the uninitiated, you can readily sense the appeal:

“After his death, he was hailed as one of the most important contemporary writers and a dark humor commentator on American society.”

Interesting link about his works: 12 Best Kurt Vonnegut Books, Ranked By Reading Order
To be honest, Runner, I don't remember. I know The Sirens of Titan was the first novel I bought because the copy I have is from the 70s. The cover hints at a lurid, pulp sci-fi story. So that must have attracted my attention at the time. His sense of humour, satire, and comic absurdity is what got me to read his other books. I know at the time I was a big fan of Mark Twain and Mordecai Richler. Both those writers I found and find funny and satirical. I felt the same way about Vonnegut. Those three make up my Unholy Trinity.

Reactions: Runner77

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The holidays are generally a good time for me to read a bio, since you can pick them up and put them down pretty easy and I rarely get more than a few minutes of quiet time to myself :P I just started reading the 1965 Malcolm X autobiography, co-written by Alex Haley.
It's really great stuff, about a fascinating and complicated man in just as complicated a time and place in history. Not the lightest read in the world though, for obvious reasons . It's been on my list for years but for whatever reason I'm only getting to it now.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
There's a couple I am looking forward to read, but I don't think they've recently been out.

There's Burke's Law, By Bryan Burke

shopping

This one about the lawyer who worked for all four major sports players association in NA seems pretty good as well

51CRZ1VCVYL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I bought Burke book last year for Christmas. It is good book. One of top 5 sports book I ever read.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Dug out some old trades which I plan to read during my Xmas break; Chew, Spawn and The Goon. I also have a stack of books to read too. Some were birthday gifts from my girlfriend and she's probably annoyed I haven't started them yet! Billy Connolly and David Jason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad