OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004

Among that long list of books, is there anyone that you have read and find it very good ?

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002

Among that long list of books, is there anyone that you have read and find it very good ?

Although it has been a few years since the last time I read it, I've read "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Süskind about 40 times over the last 25 years.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
Although it has been a few years since the last time I read it, I've read "Perfume: The Story of a Murderer" by Patrick Süskind about 40 times over the last 25 years.
I didn't read this book, but I've watched the movie. And I really love the movie.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
CJ Box - Dark Sky. Always enjoyed this series. Just finished The Forsaken by Ace Atkins. Just discovered that series and looking forward to reading through it

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Because I'm returning to the private sector in a higher management position, I need to refresh my 'managerial skills'. So back to reading some books on management! So I've started reading 'The Making of a Manager : What to do when everyone looks at you', by Julie Zhuo, an ex-vp at Facebook. Some parts I flush because redundant and doesn't apply to me (I'm not new to management). Some are interesting tid bits.

Reactions: Runner77

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009

I have read both Shogun and pillars of the Earth and remember enjoying both. It was quite a while ago. May have read East of Eden back in college for a course. Don't really remember it but would not have enjoyed it on principle as it was required reading.

Always wanted to read Dune but never got around to it. The Iron Maiden song "to tame a land" is based off the novel. Song is good.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016

I've read Dune and am on the second book. Very, very well written and immersive story and if you aren't interested in continuing through the whole series the first book is excellent on its own and doesn't have a cliffhanger type ending but ties up its plot points well.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal

I've read Dune - it's really fun to read. I think it takes a little while to get into but worth it. I'm currently reading The Pillars of the Earth and I am enjoying it.

I haven't read the book but I liked quite a bit the movie of The Count of Monte Cristo.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
25wc90.jpg

We've always brought up the idea of a book thread but never got around to it.

Was suddenly reminded when I saw this post in the GDT:

And since we're conceivably going to have more time on our hands with the Habs becoming a footnote, let's get this rolling: what are you reading right now and why? And if you're not reading anything or are between books, what have you really enjoyed?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

A. J. Liebling’s, Mollie and other War Pieces. Liebling, who was closely associated with the New Yorker magazine, was one of America’s best writers of the first half of the 20th century. If you want to improve your writing skills just read anything Liebling wrote.

Last edited:

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
I am 70, with many health problems. when the covid hit I went to the "mattresses", so which book have I been reading?

Habz4Evr

Gotta Luv The Habs
Jun 8, 2010
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Finding Murph by Rick Westhead.
The story of Joe Murphy who went from being a Stanley Cup winner to being homeless, living in the bush outside Kenora, Ontario.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Because I'm returning to the private sector in a higher management position, I need to refresh my 'managerial skills'. So back to reading some books on management! So I've started reading 'The Making of a Manager : What to do when everyone looks at you', by Julie Zhuo, an ex-vp at Facebook. Some parts I flush because redundant and doesn't apply to me (I'm not new to management). Some are interesting tid bits.
@Runner77 happy to see you back!

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
I'm reading The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett.
Hah! So am I. I got it on Audible. It was a trial, my first time with audio books. It is a fascinating read (listen). I've mentioned Ken Follett elsewhere in these threads, as I read the Century Trilogy. Meanwhile, I'm digging the audio book format. I can read anywhere. I can play it in the car while driving, with my bluetooth-connected phone. As a prof, I am assessed by students on my content but also my eloquence, and I have an inkling that listening to literary text, rather than reading it, may have a positive impact on my erudition while lecturing. At 58, I am also mindful about keeping Alzheimer's away as long as I can (use it or lose it), which is also why I don't foresee retiring until my 80s or even later and also one of the reasons I keep fit.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
A. J. Liebling’s, Mollie and other War Pieces. Liebling, who was closely associated with the New Yorker magazine, was one of America’s best writers of the first half of the 20th century. If you want to improve your writing skills just read anything Liebling wrote.

Liebling is the greatest. His boxing book is maybe the best sports book I've ever read.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Hah! So am I. I got it on Audible. It was a trial, my first time with audio books. It is a fascinating read (listen). I've mentioned Ken Follett elsewhere in these threads, as I read the Century Trilogy. Meanwhile, I'm digging the audio book format. I can read anywhere. I can play it in the car while driving, with my bluetooth-connected phone. As a prof, I am assessed by students on my content but also my eloquence, and I have an inkling that listening to literary text, rather than reading it, may have a positive impact on my erudition while lecturing. At 58, I am also mindful about keeping Alzheimer's away as long as I can (use it or lose it), which is also why I don't foresee retiring until my 80s or even later and also one of the reasons I keep fit.
Yeah I'm liking it. I will probably read the whole trilogy.

I've never taken to audiobooks. I like the reading part.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad