OT: The Good Book: What are you reading right now?

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Re-reading the entire Michel Folco collection (yes, in French, rarity for me) which is continuous and runs about 2300+ pages through Dieu et Nous Seuls Pouvons, Un Loup est un Loup, En Avant Comme Avant, Même le Mal se Fait Bien and lastly, the worst chapter of the saga, La Jeunesse Mélancolique et Très Désabusé d'Adolph Hitler. Not sure I'll re-read the last one as it's kinda boring compared to the 4 other books.

(Ex) Students of Law from French universities in Qc will probably be familiar with Folco as certain Law teachers have the first book of the series as mandatory reading (a client/lawyer suggested the book to me two decades ago) as one of the overarching subjects of the book is the origins of modern law.

Then back to work, I'll read The Mask of Sanity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
220px-The_Odessa_File_-_Frederick_Forsyth.jpg

Just starting, want to watch the film with Jon Voight. Also have Frederick Forsyth's autobiography to read (The Outsider). The Day of the Jackal was a great read.

Last edited:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Just bought those two. I'm looking forward to learn more about Napoleon. And Franklin looks to have been an interesting man.

81CjLBjHQXL._AC_UY218_.jpg
51ZVtaiqUVL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. I read it in French though so it'll be my first venture into his actual writing and not a translation version.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Just starting, want to watch the film with Jon Voight. Also have Frederick Forsyth's autobiography to read (The Outsider). The Day of the Jackal was a great read.

The film (Jackal) is pretty good as well, if you can stand Brits speaking English with a French accent! Of course the "real Jackal" is from Venezuela and he is in a prison in France.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Just bought those two. I'm looking forward to learn more about Napoleon. And Franklin looks to have been an interesting man.

81CjLBjHQXL._AC_UY218_.jpg
51ZVtaiqUVL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I loved Isaacson's biography of Steve Jobs. I read it in French though so it'll be my first venture into his actual writing and not a translation version.
Isaacson's biography of Leonardo Da Vinci is one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread. Found Leonardo fascinating.

The film (Jackal) is pretty good as well, if you can stand Brits speaking English with a French accent! Of course the "real Jackal" is from Venezuela and he is in a prison in France.

I guess some find the original film dated, maybe that's why it was remade with Richard Gere. Making a film of a great book is tough, thought the original did a nice job.

Currently reading Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography. Seems like he is mostly forgotten now but he was one of the important pioneers of films. When he arrived in Hollywood it was just a dot on the map. His first studio was a barn he rented, the actors dressing rooms were horse stalls.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Isaacson's biography of Leonardo Da Vinci is one of the best books I've read in the last few years. Think I mentioned it somewhere in this thread. Found Leonardo fascinating.

I guess some find the original film dated, maybe that's why it was remade with Richard Gere. Making a film of a great book is tough, thought the original did a nice job.

Currently reading Cecil B. DeMille's autobiography. Seems like he is mostly forgotten now but he was one of the important pioneers of films. When he arrived in Hollywood it was just a dot on the map. His first studio was a barn he rented, the actors dressing rooms were horse stalls.

How is Isaacson's Jobs book, I bought fairly soon after it came out but I have not read it?

Reactions: Chili and Runner77

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Finishing up Grapes of Wrath (Steinbeck), a masterpiece deserving its reputation, and R.U.R Russom's Universal Robots (Karel Ĉapek) which lays down the road for dystopian fiction like Brave New World. Way ahead of its time.

Next up: We (Yevgeny Zamaytin) which inspired Orwell's 1984 but with a dark Russian humor. As well as The Trial (Franz Kafka) which tells a story we're not very far from making a reality. Both a continuation of dystopian fiction genre that started with Brave New World.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
How is Isaacson's Jobs book, I bought fairly soon after it came out but I have not read it?
Haven't read that one, the other book I have by Isaacson is a biography of Einstein, which I have yet to read. Seems like the Steve Jobs book is well recommended.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've been reading the two Dick Cavett collections, Talk show and Brief encounters. What a smart, witty, likeable man ! It got me into a bit of a rabbit hole of watching some of his old interviews. It sure is weird seeing people actually having a conversation on a talk show :laugh:

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017

I read a few books of his after reading Jackal. None compared or left a lasting impression.

I read this one, but I don’t really remember it, TBH. I suppose The Dogs of War was #2 for me.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I read a few books of his after reading Jackal. None compared or left a lasting impression.

I read this one, but I don’t really remember it, TBH. I suppose The Dogs of War was #2 for me.
Have read two of his books, Day of the Jackal is a classic (top notch film too in 1973), the Odessa File (book was good, movie seemed to change a lot was only fair). Also have The Outsider, his autobiography which I have yet to read.

My thoughts of the Odessa File:

Books: - Last Book You Read and Rate It

Last book I read was Buster Keaton's autobiography, My Wonderful World of Slapstick. Started a couple of other books, one on Harry Houdini (The Man Who Walked Through Walls - William Lindsay Gresham), the other was Geronimo's autobiography but have spent a lot of time following the Habs of late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad