The GM Mode Prospect Thread

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Anybody know what's up with Avs 2014 4th round pick Alexis Pepin? His potential is elite, medium, and I have no idea why. Everything I've seen points to him being a pretty mediocre prospect with bottom six upside. Is he related to someone on the dev team? Where does he end up a few years down the road.

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Nail Yakupov - develops fairly well based on useage. Averages mid-high 80s if given consistent first/second line minutes.

Joshua Ho-Sang - slower development, high ceiling. Levels out at mid/high 80s in year 5.

Michael Dal Colle - extremely slow development, high ceiling. Can reach high 80s/low 90s but will take 6+ years.

I've had Dal Colle and Shinkaruk in two separate GM modes and they both have never gotten above 79 overall. Pretty frustrating.

KingGheedorah

Sep 26, 2014
Guelph, Ontario
I've had Dal Colle and Shinkaruk in two separate GM modes and they both have never gotten above 79 overall. Pretty frustrating.

Some prospects (Dal Colle, Draisatl, Scherbak come to mind) don't start to become NHL viable until their mid 20s. In my Islanders playthrough for example Ho-Sang had cracked the lineup as a consistent second-liner with an 86 rating in year 4 but Dal Colle was still 80-81 playing mostly AHL minutes with some NHL depth call-ups. My current Habs playthrough Scherbak is still rated 81 playing mostly AHL minutes in year 5. You just have to be patient and keep giving them AHL minutes. That or take advantage of their massive value to trade for a prospect that develops at a less than glacial pace.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
RD, Murray Turnbull (86 OVR, 3.5, 6th round; 156th overall): Biggest steal i've ever gotten. Carolina let him go to free agency and I signed him as a 20 old and he was 74 overall (I usually don't sign guys like this but OAW was something like 83 and his DAW was like 81). He jumped to 79 overall at the start of the year and I let him play bottom pairing minutes and he grew to an 81. The next year he jumped to 84 and had a great season. Now, he's an ABSOLUTE beast. 5 star shooting, skating; 4.5 senses; 4 star physical and defense with a OAW of 91. All purely natural growth.​

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Tomas Vincour on the Avs jumped to elite, high for me. In the 2017 offseason he's 26 years old but only 84. I'm not sure how he's supposed to become elite. Still, he's a steal regardless considering where he was when I first started.

GFY

Touhou Fanatic
Dec 21, 2013
Richmond, B.C.
First things first. I've noticed that a lot of players you groom within your organization will player better with said players rather than FA signings or players you traded for (At least for me). Same seems to go for your overall teams performance.

Anyways. This is my 2ND BaGM. Here's what I've got.

Boom Dean Connely, Drafted in 2018 (1st Overall), an elite winger, has put up a 97-point season at the age of 24. Averages around 0.8 PPG. Currently sits at 90 overall

Boom Anthony Mantha, Drafted in 2013, (20th Overall), an elite PWF, has averaged 30 goals/60 points per season, with a 53 goal season under his belt at the age of 29. Currently sits at 88 overall

Bust Joshua Ho-Sang, Drafted in 2014, (29th Overall), an underwhelming winger who put up 11 goals, 6 assists, in his first season, and never progressed from 81 overall, and eventually fell down to 79.

Boom Dylan Strome, Drafted in 2015, (27th Overall), an elite centre, playing second-line on my team his entire career, has averaged 65 points. Currently sits at 89 overall.

Boom Louis Daumont, Drafted in 2020, (2nd Overall), rated as a Top-4 defender, has played three seasons putting up 16 (4, 12), 55, (22, 33), 47, (13, 34). He's currently 22 years old and is 86 overall.

Boom Joshua Lane, Drafted in 2021 (87th overall), played in his first full season, playing 52 games, posting 44 wins with a GAA of 2.13 and a save % of .928. Is currently 91 overall in his second season.

Boom Ryan Strome, Drafted in 2011, (5th overall), is currently 31 playing as the 1st-line centre. He has been 90 overall the majority of his career posting just under a PPG-clip in all of his seasons.

So yeah, lots of boom because all the earlier prospects I ended up trading away when my team began to falter, and I blew up and did a total rebuild (as you can see by my draft years/positions). Currently in season 2024-25.

aorona

Mar 12, 2014
Houston, Texas
First things first. I've noticed that a lot of players you groom within your organization will player better with said players rather than FA signings or players you traded for (At least for me). Same seems to go for your overall teams performance.

Anyways. This is my 2ND BaGM. Here's what I've got.

Boom Dean Connely, Drafted in 2018 (1st Overall), an elite winger, has put up a 97-point season at the age of 24. Averages around 0.8 PPG. Currently sits at 90 overall

Boom Anthony Mantha, Drafted in 2013, (20th Overall), an elite PWF, has averaged 30 goals/60 points per season, with a 53 goal season under his belt at the age of 29. Currently sits at 88 overall

Bust Joshua Ho-Sang, Drafted in 2014, (29th Overall), an underwhelming winger who put up 11 goals, 6 assists, in his first season, and never progressed from 81 overall, and eventually fell down to 79.

Boom Dylan Strome, Drafted in 2015, (27th Overall), an elite centre, playing second-line on my team his entire career, has averaged 65 points. Currently sits at 89 overall.

Boom Louis Daumont, Drafted in 2020, (2nd Overall), rated as a Top-4 defender, has played three seasons putting up 16 (4, 12), 55, (22, 33), 47, (13, 34). He's currently 22 years old and is 86 overall.

Boom Joshua Lane, Drafted in 2021 (87th overall), played in his first full season, playing 52 games, posting 44 wins with a GAA of 2.13 and a save % of .928. Is currently 91 overall in his second season.

Boom Ryan Strome, Drafted in 2011, (5th overall), is currently 31 playing as the 1st-line centre. He has been 90 overall the majority of his career posting just under a PPG-clip in all of his seasons.

So yeah, lots of boom because all the earlier prospects I ended up trading away when my team began to falter, and I blew up and did a total rebuild (as you can see by my draft years/positions). Currently in season 2024-25.

Does anyone know if computer generated players are always the same? I don't mean always pan out the same…I mean do they actually get created by the computer in every GM mode...That 2018 prospect you mentioned...Dean Connely…will he be in my game as well? Thanks guys.

KingGheedorah

Sep 26, 2014
Guelph, Ontario
Does anyone know if computer generated players are always the same? I don't mean always pan out the same…I mean do they actually get created by the computer in every GM mode...That 2018 prospect you mentioned...Dean Connely…will he be in my game as well? Thanks guys.

No, they aren't the same. They're randomly generated.

iGetCarried*

Trying to create Noah Hanifin and Jack Eichel for next gen, but it doesn't seem like theres a way to get them into the game (to be drafted)? Anyone done this and gotten them into the draft or do they have to be assigned to a pro team?

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Trying to create Noah Hanifin and Jack Eichel for next gen, but it doesn't seem like theres a way to get them into the game (to be drafted)? Anyone done this and gotten them into the draft or do they have to be assigned to a pro team?

I am trying to do that too. I might just assign them to teams like Buffalo, Carolina, or Calgary. Just to be realistic, and if I want them, I can trade for them.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
Does anyone have information on Mirco Mueller, Tomas Hertl, Nail Yakupov, or Matt Nieto?

In the 2016 offseason Yakupov is currently at an 89 for me after playing on the Oilers top line with Hall (91) and Nugent-Hopkins (90).

When i played as Carolina i traded for him, played him on their top line with Skinner and Staal and he didn't go above 86 after 4 years.

Not quite sure how it works like that.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I am trying to do that too. I might just assign them to teams like Buffalo, Carolina, or Calgary. Just to be realistic, and if I want them, I can trade for them.

The way I do it is to create the players, assign them to a CHL team, and then modify their birth date. So after they are created with their actual birthday, edit it so that they are older (as in already drafted). Save the change, and go back in to edit them. You should now be able to modify the team they are assigned to, change it to undrafted, and edit their birth year to their actual year. They should now be able to be drafted during the 2015 draft.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
The way I do it is to create the players, assign them to a CHL team, and then modify their birth date. So after they are created with their actual birthday, edit it so that they are older (as in already drafted). Save the change, and go back in to edit them. You should now be able to modify the team they are assigned to, change it to undrafted, and edit their birth year to their actual year. They should now be able to be drafted during the 2015 draft.

And this is next-gen? Because I can't seem to get that to work either.

Saintpatrick*

I have a question, does the player's potential ever increase or even change from red stars to yellow and should you draft purely on potential?

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
Sean Day's skating is unreal. Only at 80 OVR (22 yrs old) but it's already at 5 stars, 94 speed and 95 agility.

Ryan Macinnis was a sweet RFA signing for me. He was only around 73 I think when I signed him from FA, now he's at 83.

mjd

Mar 19, 2010
Brockville
I see posts here of prospects as far as 2020. I've never played past 2017 lol. At what age do you see Crosby/Ovechkin retire? What's their overall?

Drafted McDavid and he jumped to 87 in the second year, currently in year 3 and he's a 93.
So far he's got (2) 115+ point seasons and both had at least 75 assists. Currently leads the league with 75 points in 43 games

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
If anyone else hasn't noticed, Tyson Baillie is a monster. 86 OVR for me and I picked him up in the 3rd round.

BackhandToeyJoey

Jan 16, 2013
I see posts here of prospects as far as 2020. I've never played past 2017 lol. At what age do you see Crosby/Ovechkin retire? What's their overall?

Drafted McDavid and he jumped to 87 in the second year, currently in year 3 and he's a 93.
So far he's got (2) 115+ point seasons and both had at least 75 assists. Currently leads the league with 75 points in 43 games

I'm currently at the All-Star break in the 2020-21 season.
Here's their status so far (PS4):

Alexander Ovechkin - Age 35 - 2nd Line FWD
16 G - 23 A - 39 PTs
OVR 85 - POT Exact Top 9 FWD.

Sidney Crosby - Age 33 - 1st Line FWD
22 G - 38 A - 60 PTs
OVR 94 - POT Exact Elite.

mjd

Mar 19, 2010
Brockville
I'm currently at the All-Star break in the 2020-21 season.
Here's their status so far (PS4):

Alexander Ovechkin - Age 35 - 2nd Line FWD
16 G - 23 A - 39 PTs
OVR 85 - POT Exact Top 9 FWD.

Sidney Crosby - Age 33 - 1st Line FWD
22 G - 38 A - 60 PTs
OVR 94 - POT Exact Elite.

Thank you! Interesting to note Ovechkins immediate regression at 35. I notice also not many players make it past 36 before they retire. Keep me posted for sure!

Eye Test Approved

@London_the_Hobo
Sep 15, 2014
Has anyone had success with Derrick Pouliot or Griffin Reinhart? I drafted both in a fantasy draft and was wondering if they bust or boom.

I've got a study team with Tampa, in like 2018. Reinhardt is 91 overall with insane speed (90's), really tough and great offensively. He's second only to his partner, my 93 overall Eric Karlsson. Also have Landeskog 90 ovr, Drouin 91 ovr, Barkov 91 ovr, McDavid rookie season 87 ovr, McKinnon 90 ovr. Oh and Stamkos is 94 ovr.

Soizit Blindy

Oct 11, 2013
I don't have any prospects to Report yet, but I have some 7th Round picks, because I want to check whether or not you can now find gems in the later rounds. I will be back once I developed a few prospects. I played the first season until 60ish games and am now finishing the Playoffs and then first draft.

I'll post once I have some results, but I'll try to get Dylan Strome seems to be a pretty save pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad