The GM Mode Prospect Thread

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
I made this exact same thread last year and it was fun reading about prospects so I thought i'd make a thread for NHL 15 (Pre-Gen and Next-Gen)

I've been playing on the 360 and heres some prospects that I've had develop/bust :nod:

Boom: Nikita Scherbak (2014, 1st round: 26th, 4, PLY, 85) - He steadily progressed and is still only 25 playing on the first line with Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. Got up to 68 points in his sophomore season.

Bust: Tyson Baille (2014, 3rd round: 67th, 4.5, TWF, 79) - He's 24 years old now and has been 79 OVR for about 2 straight seasons now and has seemed to have plateaued at the age of 24. He's now spending time on my 4th line putting up alright numbers, but disappointing to say the least.

Boom: Vesa Vaananen (2017, 1st round: 26th, 4, PLY, 85) - Jumped from 80 to 85 after a strong rookie season and is a stud on my 2nd line with Elias Lindholm and Brendan Gallagher. Currently on pace for 60 points. Not bad for a late 1st.

Bust: Max Lazarev (2014, 1st round, 26th, 4, SNP, 78) - Developed well through his first few seasons, but now it seems as if he's hit his ceiling at the age of 25.

I'm very curious to hear about some Next-Gen prospects so fill me in! :handclap:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Boom - Bo Horvat won 5 consecutive Selkes and routinely put up 65-85 points per season for me. Was usually between 85-88 OVR.

Boom - Hunter Shinkaruk had a couple of 40 goal seasons, usually put up 30+ and 75-90 points per year. Had one season over 100 (102). Was usually between 86-88 OVR.

Boom - Jacob Markstrom became the starting goaltender everyone was hoping he'd become, though battled through injuries early in his career as a starter. Eventually became an 89 OVR Vezina and Jennings winner.

Bust - Jake Virtanen had a few 20-goal seasons, but was, for the most part, an average 3rd liner (30-40 points/year). Topped out at 84 OVR.

Bust - Brendan Gaunce had a couple of decent seasons later on, but was a 4th line center for the most part. Topped out at 82 OVR.

badams326

Apr 17, 2014
Boom: Tuukka Tuulola (2016 Round Pick 16, 3.5 TWF Center, 84 Overall) - This guy's been a beast of a 2nd/3rd Liner for me.

Boom: Bobby Ribeiro (2020 1st Round Pick 20, 3.5 DFD Defenseman) - At 6'3" 229lbs, this guy was suppose to be a physical, shutdown D-Man, instead he turned into a big, physical, Offensive D-Man. Peaked at 87 Overall.

Boom: Jerry Jaspers (2020 1st Round Pick 2, 4.5 gold Power Forward Left Wing) - This guy was drafted in the middle of a rebuild in San Jose. Jaspers was drafted at 81 overall but started his rookie year at 85 Overall. PPG as a Power Forward? He was one. Peaked at 90 Overall.

Suprise Boom: Julien Gauthier/Sean Day (2016 1st Round Picks 2 and 3) - I didn't draft these guys but they developed too good, especially Gauthier.

Boom: Sergei Glebov (2018 1st Round Pick 2, 5 Gold Stars Goalie) - Another guy I didn't draft (you'll see who I draft later). This dude, along with half of his teammates, dominated the NHL. Drafted by Arizona. Peaked at 99 Overall. NINETY-NINE!

Boom: Dave Nightingdale (2019 1st Round Pick 3, 5 Gold Stars Goalie) - Drafted by Arizona a year after Glebov. This dude was a 92 Overall backup goalie (his role was Elite). Him and Glebov was an unstoppable 1-2 punch in net for the Coyotes. I couldn't beat these dudes, except once.

Boom: Jeremy Fisher (2019 1st Round Pick 1, 5 gold stars) - Originally drafted by Calgary, I signed him to his ELC during free agency and he has been my best goalie in this game. Won the Vezina and the Calder in his 1st Year. Peaked at 96 Overall.

Bust: Haydn Fleury (2014 1st Round Pick 7, 4 gold stars TWD Defenseman) - This dude didn't know what the meaning of progressing is in this game. Never passed 76 Overall and never touched the NHL. Released his behind as soon as he was 25.

Bust: Jesse Mills (2016 1st Round Pick 10, 4.5 gold stars DFD Defenseman) - Originally drafted by Pittsburgh, I traded for this guy during the San Jose rebuild GM Mode (see the boom guys). The dude never passed 83 overall, he was buried in the Top 6, and an overall disappointment .

Bust: Marcel Chevelie (2018 1st Round Pick 3/ 4.5 gold stars SNP Right Wing) - This guy was supposed to be a Superstar goal scorer I never had in any GM Modes. Started out a 61 Overall in the San Jose rebuild GM Mode I did. This dude stopped progressing when he was 23 at 77 overall. Played a year on the 2nd line before I traded him for a D-Man to replace Jesse Mills.

Boom: William Nylander (2014 1st Round Pick 8, originally 3 gold stars PLY Right Wing)- Change his potential to 4.5 gold and watch him develop into a stud. Peaked at 92 Overall.

Saintpatrick*

Has anyone had success with Derrick Pouliot or Griffin Reinhart? I drafted both in a fantasy draft and was wondering if they bust or boom.

Saintpatrick*

Anyone have any info on Morgan Klimchuk and/or Slater Koekkoek boom or bust?

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Got a power forward named Johan Alfredsson about 3 years into my Be A GM with Edmonton. I actually traded for Arizona's first rounder before the season started just to get an extra pick, but they ended up being absolutely terrible and finishing last. The pick was pretty cheap too, because they were a solid playoff team the year before, getting knocked out in the second round.

He was rated 75 when I picked him, then went up to 79. After a year in the AHL he jumped to 84, so I threw him on my third line and first PK unit (his defense was 89). He had a respectable rookie year, scoring 38 points, he then jumped up to 89 overall. I put him with Hall and Nugent-Hopkins and he scored 80 points that year. He's still only 22 and he's 90 overall with 94 defensive awareness and 88 offensive awareness. His speed, acceleration and hitting are all in the upper 80's or low 90's too, so he's ridiculous to play with.

It's almost unfair, he's the most over powered player I've ever had in an EA game. He's a game breaker, not as in he controls the play, but as in the AI can't do anything to him, no one can catch him and no one can hit him. At 6'4 230, people just bounce off of him.

Constable

corona fiend
Mar 17, 2014
Boom: Nik Ehlers, Mike Mccarron, Drayson Bowman, Danny Kristo

All went on to have top6 careers, Ehlers was the highest overall player in the game up until 2026, Mccarron put up 60 points but had a crazy +/- and was a tank that allowed Ehlers to speed through, and Bowman went on to have a ok top6 career despite when I got him he was 25 and 76 OVR. Played Kristo with Ehlers in the minors and Kristo got 60+ goals.

Bust: Valeri Nichuskin.

Traded Parenteau and a 1st for him, Plateaued at 85 despite seeing him countless times reach 90+.

Last edited:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Boston drafted a defenseman who would go on to win 12 consecutive Art Ross trophies as a 98 OVR.

German Bobby Orr

donut

Sep 5, 2012
Kuznetsov gets to 87 in year 2. He'll get there even if you put him in the AHL in year 1. :yo:

TheTimTamSlammerMan

Jul 29, 2011
Long Island
2018 1st overall
Alan Tyrell 6'7 248lbs PWF American Center.

Bust. 84 overall 3rd liner. Hit 40 points once and gets injured ~20 games a year.

Last edited:

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Kevin fiala has really low trade value for a prospect with top 9 potential. Year 2 of be a gm I found out why. His potential was adjusted to bottom six forward.

I guess trade value can be used as a warning sign of a future potential dip.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Goldobin dropped to Top6 AHL FWD after 2 years but he's 76 OVRL and has higher trade value than Erik Haula (High - Elite)

TheEpicOne258

Jun 23, 2014
Boom: julien gauthier, 2nd overall in 2016, now 24 years old at 93 overall 4.5 gold

Bust: Tyson baillie, 4.5 red 80 overall at 21, played on third and fourth line. stayed at 80.

Boom: Jared Tinordi, 4 green got to 89 overall, found him in free agency

Boom: Oliver Bjorkstrand, 4 green got to 91 overall with colombus

Boom: daniel sprong, 4.5 red, got to 84 overall but had 40 goal seasons on the second line with elias lindholm

Boom/bust: Philippe cadorette, 4.5 stars, drafted 3rd overall 2015, got to 89 but played terrible, especially in the playoffs (we lost in the first round many times), traded him for a goalie with the same overall, but with better numbers. we made it to the finals that year.

A Calgary Flames Fan

Jun 13, 2011
Calgary
Boom: Valeri Nichuskin. Once got up to 99 OVR in year 5. Went on a 6 year streak of 50+ goals.

Bust: Zach Fucale. Had progressed to 83 overall, so I gave him a backup job behind Price. Did alright but stayed 83. Has only had average stats and has stayed 83 overall.

Boom: Nikita Kucherov. Not as OP as he was last year, but can still get to High 80's and maybe even 90 ovr if used right. Usually gets between 60-80 points.

Bust: Torey Krug. Get's to mid-80's if your lucky, but usually caps off around 83 ovr. A poor man's 2nd pair D-man.

Boom: Zemgus Girgensons. Gets to high 80's after a few years, very efficient Top 6 forward

Bust: Ryan Strome. This guy never seems to get good in any game. Usually get's stuck at around high 70's to low 80's. Pretty good 4th liner, maybe a 3rd liner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad