The GM Mode Prospect Thread

badams326

Apr 17, 2014
More booms/busts I'm listing.

Boom: Ryan/Dylan Strome - They both got up to an 95 Overall and on the same team. They got so good that they made Tavares expendable. Literally and figuratively a good 1-2 Center duo.

Boom: Ivan Barbashev - In my last 4 (experimental) GM Modes, this guy always got to the mid 80's.

Bust: Laurent Dauphin - One of the biggest booms in NHL 14 turns out to be one of my biggest busts in NHL 15. A massive disappointment.

Boom: Reid Boucher - He still developed into the goal scoring tank he was in NHL 14.

Boom: Anthony Mantha - First Power Forward I ever had that exceeded 90 Overall.

Bust: Radek Faksa - A bust in NHL 14. A bigger bust in NHL 15.

Bust: Julius Honka - The biggest steal in any draft class (besides Nylander) in NHL 14 is one of the biggest busts in NHL 15. I never see this guy develop into anything and rarely touches the NHL roster.

KingGheedorah

Sep 26, 2014
Guelph, Ontario
Boom - Reilly Smith. Averages 20G 50A a year on the top line, hits 85 after the 2nd year and has gone as high as 90.

Boom - Filip Forsberg. Doesn't put up as many points as his OVR would suggest but I've seen him level out at 88 three times now. Big hitter, defensively responsible.

Boom: Brandon Gormley. Routinely hits 86 after 2-3 years.

Boom: Simon Depres. Routinely hits 86 after 2-3 years.

Boom: Malcolm Subban. If acquired early will be the best backup you could ever want. Plateaus around 85 but will accept 6-8 year deals @ 1.5-1.6m at the height of his OVR and maintain it.

Boom: Jacob Trouba. Hits 86 after 2-3 years no problem.

Boom: Blake Clarke. Not as crazy good a scoop as he was in NHL14 (reaching mid-80s after 2 years) but still a consistently solid prospect.

Boom: Alexander Khokhlachev. Will hit 86 OVR after 3-4 or so years if allowed 3rd line minutes in the NHL.

Boom: Anthony Duclair. His development time could be better but his stats, even as a sub-80 skater, are phenomenal (high 80s to low 90s in acceleration, speed, shot power).

Bust: Nikita Scherbak. Simply too long to develop for my liking. I've seen him plateau at 85 but it takes him into his 20s. That's a long time to hold a roster spot.

Bust: Tim Bozon. For similar reasons to Scherbak.

Bust: Mike McCarron. Develops into a Jimmy Hayes-like solid physical third-liner, but again far too long to develop - a similarly valued prospect that can be acquired in year 1 is Jimmy Hayes himself, who is young, will take reasonable salaries and comes out of the box at 83.

Boom: Dustin Penner (say whaaaaaaaa). Not a prospect I know but hear me out. He can be scooped out of FA in year 1 for around 2.3m. Good retrade value for deadlines and in that first year, out of five or so playthroughs, his floor has been 14G 20A and his ceiling (thus far, latest playthrough) was 20G 32A. On the third line. Retains excellent value for 2 seasons and is an affordable point-producing presence on the third line.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
sorry not draft related... but this does pertain to prospects. can you guys comment on how not having the ahl in gm mode has hindered the prospect progression..i loved watching the youngins grow up in the ahl and was constantly simming games and checking stats while playing with the nhl club.. i havent boughten nhl15 yet because i was gonna wait for the be agm upgrades and the actual rosters to come out . but i love reading peoples opinions of how the be a gm is shaking out on the xbone

bogostick

Jun 13, 2014
Started a new gm mode for fun until they patch in the draft and what not. I traded off playerand future picks until I had I think 8 1sts for 2015 and the game selected 3 goalies in the first round.

Also e kane got dubbed franchise and hit 91 in 2015

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Whats the best way to bring up McDavid? Just drafted him. He'd be my top center in the AHL but from a rating standpoint wouldnt be in my NHL lineup. Should I actually send him to junior?

Leon Draisaitl

German Gretzky
Jun 26, 2014
Whats the best way to bring up McDavid? Just drafted him. He'd be my top center in the AHL but from a rating standpoint wouldnt be in my NHL lineup. Should I actually send him to junior?

I sent McDavid down for two junior years after drafting him. He was an 80 at the start of the second junior year. The following year he was an 88 overall (listed as a 1st liner). Kept jumping quickly and he's a 98 overall at 23.

donut

Sep 5, 2012

It doesn't matter where you put him, he's going to develop regardless. IMO, for any prospects I would keep them in the Junior for as long as possible.

My development strategy is:

Junior -> Top 6 Role in AHL -> 3rd line role in NHL -> Top 6 NHLer (typically 4-5 years to get here)

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I sent McDavid down for two junior years after drafting him. He was an 80 at the start of the second junior year. The following year he was an 88 overall (listed as a 1st liner). Kept jumping quickly and he's a 98 overall at 23.

OK thanks I decided to send him back for at least 1 year.

I wonder if starting him as like a 3rd line C at 80 overall his second year will stunt him from getting that high up.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
OK thanks I decided to send him back for at least 1 year.

I wonder if starting him as like a 3rd line C at 80 overall his second year will stunt him from getting that high up.

It won't. His path is surprisingly linear.

In 5 play-throughs with him:
Year 1: 74-80 OVRL
Year 2: 80-83 OVRL
Year 3: 87-89 OVRL
Year 4: 92-93 OVRL
Year 5+: 95-97 OVRL

SweetyV

Apr 27, 2014
Question for you guys.

Since there's no user draft, how do you make sure you get guys like McDavid? Want to start a GM mode and tank for him.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Question for you guys.

Since there's no user draft, how do you make sure you get guys like McDavid? Want to start a GM mode and tank for him.

I'm on PS3. Sorry. I believe there is a patch coming for the user draft on the next gens tho

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Okay, since this IS the GM mode prospects thread I wanted to do something a bit different. It is awesome seeing who does well and who flops etc, but here is my idea:

We all are fans of different teams, and EA ROYALLY screws up some players potentials/overalls/player style(SNP, PLY etc)

SO, for those of you who want to right the wrong, like me, and who know your teams prospects fairly well, with how good they are, and what they're realistic potential is at this point, what prospects would you edit on your favourite team? Keep in mind this is more so to fix the bad that EA did to some prospects, like in the draft Oliver Kylington, slated to go top 10 this draft, has like 2.5 or 3 gold potential, should be 4.5 gold from the start IMO.

I'll start with an example.
On the Flames, Ortio is only 3.5 Gold, he should be 4 gold. He's a great goalie prospect for us and is definitely better than 3.5 gold. I am expecting him to tear it up in the A this year.
Mason MacDonald, 4 red star. He's just outta the draft, still young and raw, and he definitely has the tools to be a good NHL starting goalie, needs to prove more at this point.

Just like that, just a sample. So feel free to post about what rook's/young players should be edited better, OR worse.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Okay, since this IS the GM mode prospects thread I wanted to do something a bit different. It is awesome seeing who does well and who flops etc, but here is my idea:

We all are fans of different teams, and EA ROYALLY screws up some players potentials/overalls/player style(SNP, PLY etc)

SO, for those of you who want to right the wrong, like me, and who know your teams prospects fairly well, with how good they are, and what they're realistic potential is at this point, what prospects would you edit on your favourite team? Keep in mind this is more so to fix the bad that EA did to some prospects, like in the draft Oliver Kylington, slated to go top 10 this draft, has like 2.5 or 3 gold potential, should be 4.5 gold from the start IMO.

I'll start with an example.
On the Flames, Ortio is only 3.5 Gold, he should be 4 gold. He's a great goalie prospect for us and is definitely better than 3.5 gold. I am expecting him to tear it up in the A this year.
Mason MacDonald, 4 red star. He's just outta the draft, still young and raw, and he definitely has the tools to be a good NHL starting goalie, needs to prove more at this point.

Just like that, just a sample. So feel free to post about what rook's/young players should be edited better, OR worse.

Leafs fan here, and I might catch flak for saying it, but William Nylander is criminally underrated in this game. Starts out with Top 6 AHL F potential. Really? The kid may not be the second coming of Markus Naslund but you'd think the 8th overall pick from last year would at least be on-par with his peers in terms of potential. In my Leafs BeAGM, The top 10 all range from Franchise to Top 6/Top 4 potential, with the exception of Willy, who according to EA isn't ever going to crack the NHL squad (a feat he nearly accomplished in his age 18 season, and probably would have if not for defensively irresponsible Kessel and Lupul blocking his path.) That I would alter. Top 6 F potential for Nylander. Maybe he hits it, maybe he doesn't, but that's a good middle ground between his ceiling and floor, for my money.

Some other players have very interesting potentials for the Leafs. I'm about halfway through my first season (I play every game) and Matt Finn has reached elite potential. Sweet. Percy is Top-4. Both seem plausible, I guess. Biggs is way overrated though at Top 9 F. At this point, depth forward is way more likely. Not complaining though.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Leafs fan here, and I might catch flak for saying it, but William Nylander is criminally underrated in this game. Starts out with Top 6 AHL F potential. Really? The kid may not be the second coming of Markus Naslund but you'd think the 8th overall pick from last year would at least be on-par with his peers in terms of potential. In my Leafs BeAGM, The top 10 all range from Franchise to Top 6/Top 4 potential, with the exception of Willy, who according to EA isn't ever going to crack the NHL squad (a feat he nearly accomplished in his age 18 season, and probably would have if not for defensively irresponsible Kessel and Lupul blocking his path.) That I would alter. Top 6 F potential for Nylander. Maybe he hits it, maybe he doesn't, but that's a good middle ground between his ceiling and floor, for my money.

Some other players have very interesting potentials for the Leafs. I'm about halfway through my first season (I play every game) and Matt Finn has reached elite potential. Sweet. Percy is Top-4. Both seem plausible, I guess. Biggs is way overrated though at Top 9 F. At this point, depth forward is way more likely. Not complaining though.

I don't blame you for not liking the potential.
But they fixed his potential don't worry :) in the latest roster update.

EnthusiasticYak

Mar 7, 2014
I had a few questions that i'm sure someone in this thread could answer.

Is there some sort of method to make sure players develop to their max potential, or is it just hit and miss with a randomly generated min max each time a new file is started?

Does team make up (i.e. good mix of vets, prime players, and new players) or line chemistry (i.e. PLY-PLY-SNP, etc.) matter to development at all?

If a player has elite or top 6/9 potential would it be a hindrance to him to play him on the fourth line?

and finally: Do winning/losing seasons affect player development?

I greatly appreciate any insights and expertise that are offered. Thanks in advance! :)

ThorNton Apologist

Jumbo needs a cup
Oct 1, 2006
Cali
Does anyone have information on Mirco Mueller, Tomas Hertl, Nail Yakupov, or Matt Nieto?

In my only experience having these players, Mueller ends up being a top pairing defenseman. Hertl stays about the same but reached 88 one season. Nieto didn't grow at all after 2 seasons, so I dealt him.

KingGheedorah

Sep 26, 2014
Guelph, Ontario
Nail Yakupov - develops fairly well based on useage. Averages mid-high 80s if given consistent first/second line minutes.

Joshua Ho-Sang - slower development, high ceiling. Levels out at mid/high 80s in year 5.

Michael Dal Colle - extremely slow development, high ceiling. Can reach high 80s/low 90s but will take 6+ years.

Packfan1022

Oct 15, 2014
USA
In my only experience having these players, Mueller ends up being a top pairing defenseman. Hertl stays about the same but reached 88 one season. Nieto didn't grow at all after 2 seasons, so I dealt him.
Thanks :) I was unsure about what to do with them, especially Mueller and Nieto!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad