The GM Mode Prospect Thread

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
idk what the deal was, but i remember one season where calvin dehann went from ~81OA at the beginning of the season, to ~92OA at the end of the season. Once the offseason was over and i was starting the next season, his rating dropped back down to 81. I thought it was some sort of glitch, but the same thing kept happening if i re-did the offseason, so i figured w/e.

Players can go up or down in overall on a temporary basis based on a combination of their production and TOI. This happens to players over 27, and is completely separate from potential.

Usually this happens when you have a first line with two really strong elite players, and you throw on a third player who has really good offensive attributes but a low overall due to bad physical/defensive stats. He'll put up PPG numbers, and in the off season balloon up to 85-90 overall.

Their trade value will go way up for that one off season at the draft, then when you sim past the draft and get to the pre-season, they'll be back down to near the overall they started at.

The opposite of the same thing can happen if you have a stacked team. If your previously strong third line centre/top PKer all of a sudden gets 4th line minutes with no special teams, he'll drop a few points in OA. But once you start using him properly, he'll go back up.

I've seen it with goalies as well. But it is a bit harder to achieve since that hinges on you having a very strong team in front of the goalie to inflate their stats as well as keeping auto-rotate goalie off so they play all 82 games.

HabsJeffSkinner31902

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
Drafted Daniel Sprong in the second round of 2015 draft, turned out to be a 30 goals scorer by the age of 23. Not bad (83 ov)
Ya I always seem to get Sprong in the 3rd round and he turns out just fine. Another boom to get in the same year is Austin Lotz goaltender. I got him late 3rd round but I have seen him go 1st overall over McDavid. STEAL

HabsJeffSkinner31902

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
I am doing a Habs GM Mode so I will tell you as soon as I finished the Year one drft. So far:
Jeff Skinner is a BOOM scoring 47 goals and winning the Richard for most goals tied with Ovechkin.
When set up with a good play maker like he is (Nicklas Backstrom 59 assists 17 goals) Jeff skinner can score a lot.
I am also keeping an eye on Austin Lotz

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Noticed some huge differences in draft qualitya nd development from 15 (i'm cheap and just bought it a couple months ago when my 14 disc got scratched).

Player development still seems to be all over the map, (4.5 star yellow 78 playing first line in the AHL and going a PPG duds out while a 3.5 74 ova playing on the fourth line jumps 4 spots).

Has anyone noticed a "dead zone" of around 77-80? I would wager 70% of my prospects top out in this range no matter their potential.

anyways, i drafted Carl Donovan a TWF C in the second round (75 ova, 4 yellow)

He made the team and played as my 2nd line LW as a 21 yearold at 81 OVA and ran away with the calder with a 50 goal 70 point season.

I've never seen a guy with that low of stats, TWF playstyle, and being played out of position score so many goals.

Rest of my second line wasn't even crazy, 86 OVA ply and 84 ova ply (all three players were centers)

as for some good boomers: Kyle Clague and Sergei Tekeshi. Clague came out of the draft as a 55 ova 4.5 at 5th overall and within 3-4 years was an 83, capped out at a 94 with multiple norris wins including an 87 point season.

Takeshi peaked as a 94 overall as well. The two have anchored my jets blueline for 7 years.

HabsJeffSkinner31902

Apr 5, 2016
Canada
url
Doing a Habs GM mode. Right now I am in the playoffs of year one. Fantasy Draft by the way. Finished 3rd in the Atlantic Division in the Regular season. Jeff Skinner had 47 Goals 44 Assists. Won the Richard along with Ovechkin. Nicklas Backstrom was setting him up all year. He ended up with 59 assists 17 goals. Carey Price (My Boy) Had a respectable season although his record was 36-27-7 or something like that. Fowler and Burns had a great year on D. We won the first round of the playoffs over the favored Ottawa Senators. We won 4-2.

TRADES THROUGH THE SEASON:

Canadiens 2019 2nd round pick for NY Rangers 2015 3rd round pick

Canadiens Leon Draisatl for Cam Fowler (Can't recall the team)

Canadiens Jonathan Drouin for Brenden Gallagher & 2016 2nd round pick

I know I know. Why trade Drouin? Well, we didn't really have a fit for him and we needed a 1st line RW to play with Skinner and Backstrom. He had a good season too. 21 Goals 34 Assists 55 points. Plus he leads my team in goals in the playoffs. Captain Clutch! (P.S. he is my captain)

Next up: 2015 Draft and Playoff wrap up

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Noticed some huge differences in draft qualitya nd development from 15 (i'm cheap and just bought it a couple months ago when my 14 disc got scratched).

Player development still seems to be all over the map, (4.5 star yellow 78 playing first line in the AHL and going a PPG duds out while a 3.5 74 ova playing on the fourth line jumps 4 spots).

Has anyone noticed a "dead zone" of around 77-80? I would wager 70% of my prospects top out in this range no matter their potential.

anyways, i drafted Carl Donovan a TWF C in the second round (75 ova, 4 yellow)

He made the team and played as my 2nd line LW as a 21 yearold at 81 OVA and ran away with the calder with a 50 goal 70 point season.

I've never seen a guy with that low of stats, TWF playstyle, and being played out of position score so many goals.

The game is broken in a sense that on paper overall doesn't matter for production. It is possible your player just had the right combination of stats. It is also possible that it is just a freak season. Sometimes players just have outlandish seasons. I've had Tyler Kennedy at 83oa with no inflated stats put up nearly 40 goals, but it only happened once.

Offensive Awareness, Wrist Shot, and for playmakers passing is all that really matters. Skating probably plays a part in it as well, but as most people know, after 3-4 years, most prospects hit 4.5/5 star skating automatically so it is a none issue.

You can find freak prospects 5+ years into the game that are snipers with 95+ wrist shot and 95+ o awareness, but because they suck at defense and have a low physical rating, they'll be stuck at 79 overall or lower. Plug them into your top line, and you'll get a 40 goal scorer who willingly signs a two way contract because the game only looks at overall/potential when generating contract demands and not actual production.

NYRcupboundyessir*

All of these points above are quite true. It can be frustrating, but I've come to like the dynamic it provides the game mode. Some guys do have high end skill but seemingly can't really put it together. Some guys excel at 1 or 2 aspects of the game & has them worthy of a roster spot. Its corny, but I've come to enjoy it. I also personally will reward players with appropriate financial compensation if they put up huge numbers...I'm never cap strapped anyway. The guy above also who states that Grinders go a long way towards building a winning is also speaking the truth. Even having just 1 high end grinder makes your team much tougher to play against

Anyway, I do have some prospects I wanted to share. Some beasts. Theres nothing I love more than a great name attached to a great player lol. In the past I've had some memorable players, Caesar Vauclair a SNP #1 Overall center who hit 90OVR, comes to mind. NHL 13 lol. Also Valeri Nazarov this nasty Russian goalie who I enjoyed playing with so much, that I had a custom slider set strictly for playing Goalie w/ this guy. Ya know VS the CPU. THAT was fun

Here we go

Vladimir Nikulin: 91 OVR, TWF C, #2 Overall 2024
This guy was basically the consensus top pick all year. Nikulin. Just a beast. An elite 2-way player who put up multiple 100 point seasons next to Polacek. He developed a 99 pass rating. Was basically a modern day Federov.

Andrew Hemingway: 89 OVR, TWF C, #2 Overall 2021, 22 years old...
Possibly a generation talent. No joke. From the moment I saw this guys name listed I knew he was destined for greatness lol. His attribute table is absurd, & happens to be pretty similar to Nikulin's. 99 hand-eye, 91 OA, 91 deke, 90 pass. Great shot & of course Elite skating. Currently in his 2nd NHL season (35 points 43 games), plays for the Bruins. Went #2 because I drafted someone else at #1 than year....

Andrei Butsayev: 90 OVR, SNP LW, #1 Overall 2021
There was no going wrong with either pick in this stacked draft class. Dude has a few slightly disappointing stats like 84 puck control, 86 pass, 83 D awareness, just 85 speed...but he More than makes up for it. 96 O Awareness. 93/93 wrister. 92/89 slap. Won a cup this prior year in what was his 2nd NHL season; he struggled during the first 3 rounds, then dropped 4 goals & 7 points during the Cup, which we won in 5...nasty. Still waiting to see if these two are more of a Seguin-Hall, or McDavid-Eichel type of duo........

Theo York: I forget his draft info, but this guy was an 87 OVR PLY centerman who had 4 green star potential....a top 10 pick. Just always really liked his name both being from NY & a Theo Fleury fan growing up lol. He did also have a few 70 point seasons. I'll post pics of some of these guys in a bit

Vaclav Kundratek: 86 OVR, SNP RW, #56 Overall, 2019
I LOVE this guys name hahahahah. You don't understand, I love to say it. Think its totally Badass. Guy was a 2nd round steal for the Caps, struggled his first 2 years then had a 31g, 31a breakout campaign. In this particular GM mode I'd love to pick him up via Free Agency or a trade at the deadline down the road

Jake Metropolit: 88 OVR, SNP RW, #1 Overall 2021
This guy is from the same GM file as Kundratek. Drafted by Tampa as a seemingly consensus top pick all year. Not much to share. He did just have a 27g 39a 3rd year. Oh right & he's an American born skater who went #1 overall lol.

Justin Heward: 94 OVR, PLY C, #1 Overall 2030, 4.5 Green Star
Simply put, this guy is Crosby/McDavid. Just another surefire generational talent in that mold. 99 Slap Accuracy...98 pass, 92 OA, 90 DA...88/89 wrist. Just worthy of a mention. 25 years old, multiple 90 point seasons. From my Polacek franchise file

Vic Nash: 90 OVR, SNP RW, #1 Overall 2022
Yes. This happened lol. Vic Nash...sounds familiar huh lol!?!? He's a beast. Also from the Polacek GM. Was a consensus top pick all year & has had several 100 point seasons on a stacked Detroit team....his attribute table is very good but not TOO op, so I find it interesting he puts up these monster numbers. Still. Consensus #1 named Vic Nash.... Lol

Viktor Korolyuk: 90 OVR, OFD, #27 Overall 2024.
Not even gonna say anything about him lol. I mean his name doesn't jump off the table. I'm just going to post a pic of his attribute table.....

Jean Levasseur: 95 OVR, OFD, 5 Star Yellow, #1 Overall 2031
Polacek GM. The year after Justin Heward. A 5 star prospect... 99 OA, 95 DA, 99/99 Wrister.....almost 99 everything skating. Its just not right Lol. I got pics

Viacheslav Kiselev: 89 OVR, PLY C, #1 Overall 2028
Another consensus #1 who ended up being nasty lol. Dude got drafted by the Flyers & pretty much became Giroux 2.0. Consistent 15-20 goals & 60-70 assists. Pure playmaker. Russian. 94 OA, 96 puck control, 92 deke, 99 speed. Dude is a terror

Alright y'all. That's all I got for right now lol. I'm gonna update the post later with some pics, then I wanted to share 3 more players who I specifically wanted to ask other people about. 3 guys who are all real people, they have pics in-game, but were #1 overall picks in either 2016 or 2017....all in separate franchises, & these guys are almost Never to be seen or heard of in any other GM mode I start up. Just interesting. How & why are they chosen? I'll post em later

Last edited by a moderator:

Reality

Jan 30, 2019
A steal I would say I had not top but I liked them was
Tommy Peckham RW GRN 4redstar early4round 2024 after3years is 83over shotdown man on line 4 for me

2027 early firstround Eugene Backes 41/2yelstar one year and already 84 see where this guy goes need to get him more mins
Clarence Bancks RW 2026 3years at 91 already 5yelstar

Kip Shields G 2023 1. 5years 94, 5yelstar

A soild backup Spencer Ardelan early 2024 3round 3years 81 could have more in him but is stack behide Shields 31/2yelstar

Gordie Cammalleri D 2023 7round 80age22 good for top 6 or 7de for getting inround 7

I didnt draft but wish,
Ralph Jarratt TWD 91 2016 41/2yelstar 92ovl by age 29 almost ppg. Phoenix

Terry EakinTWFC 2024 41/2greenstar 90by age23

Sheldon MAchesney plyC 87 age27 2020 1 #7 31/2yelstar doesnt fully trun out but on the oiler stuck playing line 3C could be a dud or alright

Oleg Yakupov plyC 2018 92age28

Jurki Salmela pwfRW 2025 2, 85 age22 41/2yelstar

Clinton Tripp plyC 2027 1, 81 age19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad