The GM Mode Prospect Thread

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Who are the best players in this years draft other than McDavid and Barzal?

Kylington was good for me in a GM mode I did a while back.

Dallas originally drafted him 6oa. A year later, I had the 4th or 5th pick in the draft and pulled a Rundbland by trading the pick for Kylington because he was on Dallas' block, and I liked him better than any of the prospects who'd be available at my pick.

Brought along correctly, he ended up booming and becoming a 90something oa top 2 defender.

VancouverHC*

Is there any possible way to draft a created player in gm mode on next gen(ps4)
For example i created a player named Jack Eichel and gave him the same birthdate as Connor Mcdavid, then assigned him to the same team(Lake Erie Otters) but when i went to the draft he wasnt there. He would have been able to see, becuase he was 81 ovr with med-franchise potential. Does anybody know how to either get around this or actually draft created players? Thanks

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Is there any possible way to draft a created player in gm mode on next gen(ps4)
For example i created a player named Jack Eichel and gave him the same birthdate as Connor Mcdavid, then assigned him to the same team(Lake Erie Otters) but when i went to the draft he wasnt there. He would have been able to see, becuase he was 81 ovr with med-franchise potential. Does anybody know how to either get around this or actually draft created players? Thanks

Well the easiest thing to do is just to set his NHL team as the team you are going to be using, and either trade him to the team that has the 2nd pick or the Sabres.

Often I find that despite the fact that I have set his team to the Oilers for example, Eichel or Hanifin will end up on another random team such as the Coyotes at the begining of a GM mode. I get around this by going into player movement and sending 4 good players from the Coyotes to my team (ie; OEL, Hanzal, Boedker and Gormley to the Oilers) and then trade for Eichel in the GM mode.

It can be a little tedious, but usually it works out well in the end.

I would suggest that you may want to lower the attributes for Eichel though, as I would not be surprised if you see Eichel at 99 OVR a few years into the game (I had him as a 71 at the start of the year. Was at 91 OVR by year 3). McDavid is a high-elite player, so that might give you a better comparison when it comes to creating a player.

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I have put together a list of the top 2015 and 2016 draft eligible players. I have chosen to only include players with Top 6/Top 4/Starting Goaltender potential, however, there is a decent chance that some of these player potentials could change at random during a game (Provorov is elite, but I have seen him as being a 7th D after the draft, Crouse, while only Top 9 forward, could become a top 6):

[FIELDSET="2015 Draft"]
Name | League | Potential | Draft
Connor McDavid | OHL | Elite | 2015
Mathew Barzal | WHL | Elite |2015
Ivan Provorov | WHL | Elite | 2015
Daniel Sprong | QMJHL | Elite | 2015
Oliver Kylington | SHL | Elite | 2015
Devan Sideroff | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Nick Merkley | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Paul Bittner | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Ryan Pilon | WHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Austin Lotz | WHL | Starting G | 2015
Ryan Strome | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Travis Dermott | OHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Mitch Marner | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Vince Dunn | OHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Travis Konecny | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Pavel Zacha | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Nicolas Meloche | QMJHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Filip Chlapik | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Julio Billia | QMJHL | Starting G | 2015
Yakov Trenin | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Dennis Yan | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Jeremy Roy | QMJHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Aleksi Saarela | Liiga | Top 6 F | 2015
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="2016 Draft"]
Sam Steel | WHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Tyler Benson | WHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Ralph Jarratt | WHL | Top 4 D | 2016
Sean Day | OHL | Top 4 D | 2016
Tim Gettinger | OHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Logan Brown | OHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Julien Gauthier | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Jesse Puljujarvi | Liiga | Top 6 F | 2016
[/FIELDSET]

Travis093

Travis
May 5, 2012
Saskatoon
Drafted a dman in 2015 with my 19th overall pick i think..

Took a few years to develop but he usually leads my team in points. AKA rarely hits 60 points and averages 80-95 points a year

Edit he just retired.

Drafted 17th Overall in 2015

980 games played
267 Goals
578 Assists
845 Points.

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
I have put together a list of the top 2015 and 2016 draft eligible players. I have chosen to only include players with Top 6/Top 4/Starting Goaltender potential, however, there is a decent chance that some of these player potentials could change at random during a game (Provorov is elite, but I have seen him as being a 7th D after the draft, Crouse, while only Top 9 forward, could become a top 6):

[FIELDSET="2015 Draft"]
Connor McDavid | OHL | Elite | 2015
Mathew Barzal | WHL | Elite |2015
Ivan Provorov | WHL | Elite | 2015
Daniel Sprong | QMJHL | Elite | 2015
Oliver Kylington | SHL | Elite | 2015
Devan Sideroff | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Nick Merkley | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Paul Bittner | WHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Ryan Pilon | WHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Austin Lotz | WHL | Starting G | 2015
Ryan Strome | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Travis Dermott | OHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Mitch Marner | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Vince Dunn | OHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Travis Konecny | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Pavel Zacha | OHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Nicolas Meloche | QMJHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Filip Chlapik | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Julio Billia | QMJHL | Starting G | 2015
Yakov Trenin | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Dennis Yan | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2015
Jeremy Roy | QMJHL | Top 4 D | 2015
Aleksi Saarela | Liiga | Top 6 F | 2015
[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="2016 Draft"]
Sam Steel | WHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Tyler Benson | WHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Ralph Jarratt | WHL | Top 4 D | 2016
Sean Day | OHL | Top 4 D | 2016
Tim Gettinger | OHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Logan Brown | OHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Julien Gauthier | QMJHL | Top 6 F | 2016
Jesse Puljujarvi | Liiga | Top 6 F | 2016
[/FIELDSET]
Thanks for this. Sean Day never panned out for me, is their a special way to develop him?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Thanks for this. Sean Day never panned out for me, is their a special way to develop him?

IMO the most important thing to do with prospects is to keep them in the CHL and minors until they are ready to play in your top 9 or top 6 (top 6 and top 4 are even better). They will not develop if they don't get the ice time.

The issue with using a list like the one I gave you, is that there is a significant degree of randomness when it comes to the potential of young players, from GM mode to GM mode. I did a Leafs GM mode, and ended up restarting about 3 or 4 files before I was happy with what my prospects had in terms of potential. Nylander was shown as have "medium top 9" potential, but after a several tries, he had "medium elite" potential. The exact opposite happened with Frederik Gauthier :laugh:.

Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
IMO the most important thing to do with prospects is to keep them in the CHL and minors until they are ready to play in your top 9 or top 6 (top 6 and top 4 are even better). They will not develop if they don't get the ice time.

The issue with using a list like the one I gave you, is that there is a significant degree of randomness when it comes to the potential of young players, from GM mode to GM mode. I did a Leafs GM mode, and ended up restarting about 3 or 4 files before I was happy with what my prospects had in terms of potential. Nylander was shown as have "medium top 9" potential, but after a several tries, he had "medium elite" potential. The exact opposite happened with Frederik Gauthier :laugh:.
I messed up then, after he got to like 75-77 I put him in the AHL. He never got above a 79.

MiniNinja

Pasta the Pastrnak
Dec 4, 2014
Wow, did a Arizona GM and wow....

Brandon Perlini 99 ovr Connor McDavid 98 ovr Jonathon Drouin 96 ovr

This is just my top line in year 2027....I have won 10 straight stanley cups with this line and in all 12 franchise cups!!! I never touched them, Perlini I traded to florida to make room for Domi. Domi capped out at 92 ovr. I look back and Perlini has two richards....I traded Domi and a 1st for Perlini again.

My goaltenders are:

Julio Billia 95 ovr 9 straight Jennings and Vezina

Devin Williams 89 ovr 7 Jennings ever

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Wow, did a Arizona GM and wow....

Brandon Perlini 99 ovr Connor McDavid 98 ovr Jonathon Drouin 96 ovr

This is just my top line in year 2027....I have won 10 straight stanley cups with this line and in all 12 franchise cups!!! I never touched them, Perlini I traded to florida to make room for Domi. Domi capped out at 92 ovr. I look back and Perlini has two richards....I traded Domi and a 1st for Perlini again.

My goaltenders are:

Julio Billia 95 ovr 9 straight Jennings and Vezina

Devin Williams 89 ovr 7 Jennings ever

how is that even fun?

Liltimmer094

Nov 30, 2013
BOOM: Alex Nedeljkovic G drafted 37th overall in 2014 draft to Carolina. Takes some time to develop. By 2022 he is an 87 overall elite at only 25 years old. Still high elite potential maintains above 92 save percentage for every one of the 3 seasons I've had him. Won vezina 2021 and 2022 starting 2023 season maybe a 3rd year in a row?

Evgeni McCrosby*

Does anyone have any success with Kuznetsov, Nishushkin, Oleksiak and Deangelo in the GM Connected mode?

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
Do you guys think that EA bumps up the potential of some guys to make up for the lack of NCAA players? Such as meloche or pilon

Absolutely. No Eichel? Have a Daniel Sprong with elite potential.
ea_sport.gif

Does anyone have any success with Kuznetsov, Nishushkin, Oleksiak and Deangelo in the GM Connected mode?

I've seen Kuznetsov at 89, Deangelo takes a while to develop but I have seen him in the high 80's. Nichushkin stalls at 85/86. Not sure about Oleksiak.

LeonVfL

May 23, 2015
hey, I'm new to nhl and have a few questions about the potential .

what does it mean when i have a player with high and top 6 or something like that and what does it mean when it is mid and elite?

next questions is how the scouting system works ?

Last question: what should i do with talents from the draft or something like that?
can i give these players a place in the minors in 2. line or does the com generate the lines automaticely?

Dfnswnschmpnshps

Dec 2, 2009
Been reading through here quite a bit a decided to post. The GM mode for PS4 is lacking a lot of features... But that has been discussed.

I've played with a few teams (5-10 year stints) and here are some of the interesting things I've seen:

- Sam Reinhart always turns into a 88-94 player if he's on your first line. A lock for 70 assists with scoring wingers.

- Gelinas is a cheap defenseman to target early on. Usually progresses to low 90s and puts up 50+ points per season.

- The Lighnting are always beast. Stamkos and Drouin are consistently in the top 5 in scoring.

- I created Jack Eichel for one season and drafted him to the Sabres as a 78. I played him a year in the minors and he started his first season as a 83. Three years in, he has scored 62, 71, and 73 goals and is now a 95! I've never seen any player score like that in GM mode (mind you, I did see Tavares score 73 one year). I didn't really inflate his stats either... He is a med Franchise player.

- It annoys me how stupid the CPU is. In the season a mentioned above, McDavid was drafted 1st by Winnipeg. Its been three season, and McDavid is a 91 overall and has yet to play a game in the NHL. I look through some of the other teams, and their best young players are all in the minors. Makes me mad!

tezgm99

Jan 12, 2015
Cranbrook
Not so much a prospect but in my current NJ playthrough, Dougie Hamilton is at 96 overall at the start of season four. I believe he started off at an 86 with 4.5 yellow potential....not really looking forward to seeing how much he wants when his contract is up :scared:

NYRcupboundyessir*

Yo sup dudes. Dropped a huge post on page 10, love my be a GMs OD. Love grooming prospects

Finally started a be a GM that includes Jack Eichel. Created him @ 76 OVR 4.5 star green[/COLOR.

Started a fantasy draft & actually picked up Tavares with my first pick, thenEe Eichel a few rounds later. Was looking to make a crappy team to get some picks to compliment these 2.

So I made Eichel 16 by accident. He didn't start developing until 18. Then he took off.
94 OVR now, & it's working out really nicely cause he's only been good for 65-85 points but plays an elite 2 way game. While McDavid, playing with Seguin in Dallas (yep), is 95 OVR scoring 85+ points every year, hit 109 the prior season (forget what year I'm at here...no later than 2021.)

So it feels pretty legit.
I eventually used an 87 OVR Evander Kane, prospects, & picks to grab 91 overall Jamie Benn off NYI (hehehe) who actually totally needed that trade. Their team was garbage outside of Benn

Lines currently look like

Benn-Tavares-Palat
Burakovsky-Eichel- Brandon Scoville (CPU 84 ovr SNP, 4.5 red)

Julien Gauthier progressing slowly on line 3, 82 OVR, 24 yrs old.....

Alright. That Be a GM from my original post? Couple extra young studs to mention

Mario Letang 87ovr, 1st round 7th OVR 2027, 3.5 green

Beast. 98 wrist accuracy. 89/89 slapper. 92 deke 95 hand-eye. 96 strength. 90+ all skating except for 84 balance. Only 80 offensive awareness :( but this dude is 30 + goals a year no matter what

Marty Esposito 87ovr, 1st round 10th Overall 2030, 3.5 green star, 23 yrs old

Not worth getting into his stats yet. He's a beast PLY, who is probably on his way to being the top elite PLY in the league....

Then, the sickest player of all my Be a GMs so far......

Melvin Griffith SNP, 1st round 13th OVR, don't remember his potential.

Ok. So this guy has hit 70 goals, twice. He's 34 yrs old in this GM, & his years after 30?

58g 28a
56g 30a
55g(what a declining scrub) 37a
37g 18a ... Through 61 games

He's had several 60 goal 100 point seasons, & his best year...75 goals...53 assists 128 points....stuff you don't see anymore. And the best part about this guy?

Never went higher than 86 OVR. Did most of his work at 84 OVAr. 98 wrist accuracy, 88 power. OA was 83 max. His physical gifts were less absurd than other players. He did play with a good playmaking C, an Ovi / Backstrom kind of thing, but that guy had sub 90 pass deke & hand eye....93 OA, but still.

I don't know how this guy did it....but he became the hands down elite goal scorer in the league. Ultimately, with these numbers, he's an all time Great. Crazy stuff

edit: has played for Dallas forever. This is all simulation

Last edited by a moderator:

Rondoo

Sep 15, 2011
I just drafted Ivan Provorov (4.5 red) in the 5th round, 122 overall. Pretty excited to see if he develops well.

Rondoo

Sep 15, 2011
Started a new file with Buffalo. Traded for Hampus Lindholm 1st year. Now at the start of 2017-2018 he's 96 overall. He usually caps at 88-89 for me so I was extremely surprised.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad