The GM Mode Prospect Thread

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Am I the only one who never drafts goalies? I'll just wait until free agency and there's always a couple of 4.5 yellow goalies who are 20 years old and 80 overall. Former 1st round picks that didn't get signed by the team that drafted them.

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Boom: Bobby Clarke, Jake Virtanen, Seth Jones, Connor McDavid, John Gibson, Jonathan Drouin, Anthony DeAngelo, Keith Boucher, Erik Karlsson (won 4 back to back Norris trophies), Ryan Murray, Nikita Kucherov, Sam Reinhart

Generally the top 5 players afround 2018-2019 are Crosby, Stamkos, Kucherov, Drouin, Ovechkin. I have had a 95 overall Drouin with 98-99 in all shooting categories get 62,58,63 goals and 112,105,120 points,

thesensguy

Apr 5, 2014
Ottawa,Ontario
Also my created Vasilevsky becomes a 92 overall :sarcasm: (Made him a 76 overall and 4.5 yellow stars). Other stud goalies: Jack Campbell, Jake Flynn, John Gibson, Malcolm Subban, Robin Lehner. Also whatever you do DON'T trade for a 33 year old or older goalie (even if elite) as they quickly degress (I have had Smith, Rask, Lehtonen and Price all regress severely).I had to even buyout Mike Smith and Tukka Rask which eats about 2 mill cap if they are on 6 mill deals.

Ukgoalie

Aug 25, 2013
Lack and enroth progress nicely. Great trade bait, same goes for markstrom. You can pick up all three cheaply and sell high after one off season. Had to save and exit and the load the save file for the trade values to be updated.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Gryba and Peckham are good for that too. Almost always in free agency the first offseason. I usually sign them to like 7 years, 1 million dollars a year. They get to 84 and top 4 with great trade value because of the cap hit.

jhoops89

R.I.P. Thrashers
Mar 14, 2012
This is very rare but if you can find a 3 1/2 gold star sniper (preferably LW) I suggest you draft him. I drafted Connor Burgess in 2016 (OHL Sudbury) and he developed to an 82 overall, paid him like 3mil per year, consistent 35-40 goal scorer. Also Cory Millette (WHL and with Red Deer I believe) I drafted him 59th overall in 2014, one year in the minors got him to an 82 overall, gave him a 1.8mil/3y deal, 53 goals in his sophomore season. You would think it'd be easy to find them but those are the only two I've ever found.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
This is very rare but if you can find a 3 1/2 gold star sniper (preferably LW) I suggest you draft him. I drafted Connor Burgess in 2016 (OHL Sudbury) and he developed to an 82 overall, paid him like 3mil per year, consistent 35-40 goal scorer. Also Cory Millette (WHL and with Red Deer I believe) I drafted him 59th overall in 2014, one year in the minors got him to an 82 overall, gave him a 1.8mil/3y deal, 53 goals in his sophomore season. You would think it'd be easy to find them but those are the only two I've ever found.

I've had one actually get to a first liner, I usually just search on the trade block 5 star shot, 4.5 star skating, senses and puck skills, with the max potential of 4 stars, the defense isn't needed as much if you have a good defensive centre

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I was playing with my friend at his house and he drafted a 3.5 sniper LW named Corey Pawley. A few seasons later, he was an 80 overall but he had 99 for every shooting catagory so we put him on the 1st line with JT and he got like 3 straight 50 goal seasons.

glxss

Mar 4, 2013
In my GM that I'm posting in the Dynasty thread, I picked up some 3.5 American sniper named Tyrone Molsher in 2014. He looks really good so far.

YouMyBoyBlue

Jul 19, 2013
Just finished my first season in GM. Looking to release some players out in the FA. I've got a bunch of 3 white stars 30 year olds that are between 75 & 79. Are they a keeper or should I let them go and work on prospects?

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Just finished my first season in GM. Looking to release some players out in the FA. I've got a bunch of 3 white stars 30 year olds that are between 75 & 79. Are they a keeper or should I let them go and work on prospects?

Usually I only keep those guys if they're forwards with 5 star defensive catagory. That way, I stick them on my bottom 6 and are usually cheap. Don't know how much that will actually help in the simulation or not but that way you know that they shouldn't be defensive liabilities, and they're usually cheap 1 Ways/2 Way contracts. That way, I could spend more on a good goalie, good D, and good forwards.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Am I the only one who never drafts goalies? I'll just wait until free agency and there's always a couple of 4.5 yellow goalies who are 20 years old and 80 overall. Former 1st round picks that didn't get signed by the team that drafted them.

I see the surplus of 4.5 goalies around the league, but very very rarely do I see one in FA.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
I just traded for Zach Fucale at the beginning of year 4. Anyone have any experience with his development?

I had one experience. I think he starts out at 4 green (correct me if I'm wrong though) but I saw him in free agency at 4 gold stars and mid 70s. Got up to an 85 overall for me.

Nuge93

Stuck in a "Rebuild"
Jun 27, 2013
Usually I only keep those guys if they're forwards with 5 star defensive catagory. That way, I stick them on my bottom 6 and are usually cheap. Don't know how much that will actually help in the simulation or not but that way you know that they shouldn't be defensive liabilities, and they're usually cheap 1 Ways/2 Way contracts. That way, I could spend more on a good goalie, good D, and good forwards.

THIS :handclap:

I always load my top two lines with prospects or superstars who have 4.5/5 star shooting, skills, and senses. Bottom two lines are guys who are 5 star defensive category who are usually less than 80 overall, sign them cheap, spend more on studs. Do the same with D. Top pair are scorers, middle pair mix a scorer with 5 star D, and bottom pair is 5 star D. Cranked out many cups with this lineup despite only having a few guys over 85. Plus if you can ink a prospect with those stats to a cheap long term contract, and they have good years, they'll grow and you can trade to get goalies or whatever you want, and repeat!

plaaplaa72

Jul 29, 2011
Helsinki
Though not a good prospect, i drafted a finnish goalie (2017 or 2018) named Vesa Toskala in the 2nd round :laugh: He was only 3.5 red stars and never really developed but i just had to draft him because of his name.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I had one experience. I think he starts out at 4 green (correct me if I'm wrong though) but I saw him in free agency at 4 gold stars and mid 70s. Got up to an 85 overall for me.

Yeah, I just traded for him in the offseason and he's currently my AHL backup right now at 71 (4 stars, though I can't remember what color). He's still got pretty decent trade value though so maybe I should just try flipping him somewhere else if he only gets that high.

Anybody have good history with Mikael Granlund or Jakob Silfverberg? I have Granny and I'm thinking about trading for Silfverberg as Granlund just stuck in a rut and looks to be producing about 35-40 points on the second line. Year 4, if that helps.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island
Snap a pic on a phone, connect the USB (charger cord) to the computer, upload it to Photobucket or a similar service. Then copy the link to an HF post there and surround the link betwee [img1]link[/ink1], but take out the 1's and the link part (replace with actual link.)

Thanks. I'll do this when I could get to a computer.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Yeah, I just traded for him in the offseason and he's currently my AHL backup right now at 71 (4 stars, though I can't remember what color). He's still got pretty decent trade value though so maybe I should just try flipping him somewhere else if he only gets that high.

Anybody have good history with Mikael Granlund or Jakob Silfverberg? I have Granny and I'm thinking about trading for Silfverberg as Granlund just stuck in a rut and looks to be producing about 35-40 points on the second line. Year 4, if that helps.

I'd keep Granlund just because he has better potential and develops better usually.

vilyzz

Apr 13, 2014
Though not a good prospect, i drafted a finnish goalie (2017 or 2018) named Vesa Toskala in the 2nd round :laugh: He was only 3.5 red stars and never really developed but i just had to draft him because of his name.

Thats hilarious!

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
I'd keep Granlund just because he has better potential and develops better usually.

I actually just traded him for Blake Clarke who is also 4.5 Y stars. He jumped to 84 in the AHL this year on the top line, which is the highest Granlund ever reached in 4 years.

I also picked up Grigorenko off waivers from Buffalo :laugh:

6 Karlsson 5

Aug 9, 2012
I decided to create jack eichel and Noah Hanfin to the game but how do I get them to enter the draft? They are both on the ducks when I start my gm mode

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad