The "George" Downie Thread

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd do a Downie for Nurse swap.

I wouldn't. He's a great prospect but we have a ton of prospects on d already. What we don't have much of outside of Landy, McG and Downie, are top caliber forwards who also bring a gritty game. Downie's perfect for a dynamic center like Dutchy or Mac because he's a skilled passer on top of being that crazy bundle of energy.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Let's hope he impresses and re-signs with Colorado. We could use player like him in third line, actually I think he's perfect in that role.

boz

Jan 20, 2004
I have the same feeling about Downie that i always felt about McClemment... not in ability but the fact that he will walk as soon as the contract is up.

zxcvnm

Jun 19, 2013
Remember SammyJankis
I have the same feeling about Downie that i always felt about McClemment... not in ability but the fact that he will walk as soon as the contract is up.

I doubt it, although I'm guessing you get this feeling because no one knows what he's thinking and he doesn't seem to talk to the media much.

McClement was slotted behind Duchene, Stastny, and O'Reilly on the depth chart. He was a 4th line center with plenty of PK time on our team but he wanted a better role than that and I cannot blame him. Downie will, for all intents and purposes, be a top 6 forward playing with legitimate offensive skill guys in MacKinnon and McGinn and will have plenty of ice time. His role elsewhere will not be dramatically different than his role here.

He will be in high demand, however, and I'm sure he knows it. I think the state of this team by the end of the year will weigh heavily in his decision-making. Another season remotely like the last and I wouldn't blame him for leaving for greener pastures.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm expecting Downie and MacK to click and I want them playing together for the next 5+ years it'll take Downie's body to break for good. Dude was Stamkos's best friend and did a great job making space and feeding stammer, and given how gritty MacK can be to go with his skating and shot, I expect Downie to be a great fit next to him as well.

Give them a playmaker like Tanguay, or Sgarbossa down the line, and that'll be a filthy line.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't know about you guys, but I'm more excited to see George play this year than any of our other players. I mean.. just look at him...
steve-downie-willie-mitchell-2010-11-5-1-40-21.jpg

downie.jpg

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
"He stay composed, he play hard, he stay focused. A lot of time I'm not sure if he is but he say 'Patty I'm under control, I'm under control' and I say 'Okay, good, let's keep going then.'"

:D

These two are loving each other. Downie feels the support, Patrick loves his edge. Match made in heaven.

183126313.jpg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
"He stay composed, he play hard, he stay focused. A lot of time I'm not sure if he is but he say 'Patty I'm under control, I'm under control' and I say 'Okay, good, let's keep going then.'"

These two are loving each other. Downie feels the support, Patrick loves his edge. Match made in heaven.

That was one of my favorite Patrick quotes so far. He's genuinely and laughingly not sure if Downie's under control, but he takes his word for it, and tells him to keep going. :laugh:

Can we just re-sign him now please? What a player. They can't let him go.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

I think Roy is just generally falling in love with our team. Seems to love Downie, O'Reilly, the 4th line and Varly. Also am I the only one who read that quote in Roy's voice?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Roy is just generally falling in love with our team. Seems to love Downie, O'Reilly, the 4th line and Varly. Also am I the only one who read that quote in Roy's voice?

I always knew Roy would love Downie. He's Claude Lemieux 2.0. He's everything Roy loves in a player. If Patty played forward instead of goal, he probably would have played like Downie. All heart, and all emotion, no questions asked, and no regrets.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
At this point he's probably becoming my favorite player!

Every game no matter what you can expect something crazy from him. He always finds a way to get under the other teams skin. He takes a beating most games but gets up every time and keeps going.

The best part is he's actually very talented as well. He and PAP are the only 2 guys on the team who can slow the play down to there level all the time, and have the ability to consistently find the open man. His pass to Duchene in game 1 was incredible.

We need to resign this guy asap. 5 years 17.5M. I would even go up to 20M if we had to.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
He's not going to be cheap to keep, but at this point I'd rather sign Downie and McGinn long term and let Stastny walk if I had to choose.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
He's not going to be cheap to keep, but at this point I'd rather sign Downie and McGinn long term and let Stastny walk if I had to choose.

Agreed. They both leave a bigger void than Stas does, and we can always find a 3rd line C somewhere to take his spot. I'm hoping he's traded at the deadline for some D help.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad