The "George" Downie Thread

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Best passer on the team, even better than Paul Stastny. Steve Downie's patience with the puck is Peter Forsberg-esque, and he always manages to complete his passes through traffic.

Easy to see why he had 12 assists last post season, despite assisting on only one Steven Stamkos goal.

I wouldn't say he's a better passer than Stastny, but the way he slows the game down to his pace, and then takes advantage of it at the right time is very Forsberg'esque like you say. Different players, but Downie looks like he has a very high hockey sense to me.

At first he was benefiting from playing with O'Reilly and Lando. Now they're starting to benefit from playing with him. He gets them a lot of open ice with the puck, by the way he waits for defenders to get close to him before passing.

Boltswin

Apr 29, 2011
Tampa
Glad Downs seems to be playing well for you guys. Still miss the hell out of the guy. Still feel bad that he got traded.. He is a great guy to have on your team

Edit: I read the entire trade thread just to try to find out what Avs fans thought of him, then found the link here.

Saw that Quincy got suspended, glad we didn't keep him. Seems like a low class ********* from reading what you guys wrote.

Pretty sure this is my first time posting on another teams page.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Glad Downs seems to be playing well for you guys. Still miss the hell out of the guy. Still feel bad that he got traded.. He is a great guy to have on your team

Edit: I read the entire trade thread just to try to find out what Avs fans thought of him, then found the link here.

Saw that Quincy got suspended, glad we didn't keep him. Seems like a low class ********* from reading what you guys wrote.

Pretty sure this is my first time posting on another teams page.

Don't make it your last. Downie was awesome until he got injured. After that he was clearly off, couldn't pass as hard, wasn't as strong on the puck, and wasn't nearly as aggressive. I'm excited to see what he can do next year when healthy and allowed to continue to play with O'Reilly and Landeskog.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Decided to bump this thread since he is healthy and ready to go next year. How excited is everyone to see this animal back in the lineup? What are your projections for him stat wise.

SEPH, this was originally your thread. If you dont mind maybe you could add a piece in the OP to make this devoted to Downie for next year.

downie-590x401.jpg

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Decided to bump this thread since he is healthy and ready to go next year. How excited is everyone to see this animal back in the lineup? What are your projections for him stat wise.

SEPH, this was originally your thread. If you dont mind maybe you could add a piece in the OP to make this devoted to Downie for next year.

downie-590x401.jpg

10+25 and 150 penalty minutes :yo:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
10+25 and 150 penalty minutes :yo:

I would think he has the ability to put up a fair amount more points then that.

He's playing with Mack and McGinn and I suspect that line will be very good for us next year.

With Downie's playmaking ability and Ginner/Macks goal scoring ability, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see Downie with between 35-45 A's next year and 15-20 Goals.

He's such a solid overall player and the fact that he is more then willing to fight and get in the other teams face makes him that much more awesome.

He's a lot like Lucic only a playmaker rather then a goal scorer.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm a big Downie fan and really want him and Tanguay feeding Mac on the same line once Mac settles in and no longer needs two body guards. That would be a sexy line that make would score a lot of goals on.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland

downie-590x401.jpg

Looks like he's about to order French Fries. Just read his lips. :D

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
I just hope we sign him to an extension at some point. Want this guy on the team for a long time!

I'm on board with this. I love what Downie brings to the team and would like to have him locked up long term.

Depending on ice time and health, I could see 20 goals and 200 PIMs from him this season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
200 PIM's is a lot for a guy who doesn't take a lot of majors. Yes Downie can fight, but he isn't one of those guys who are out looking for it every night. I'd be happy with 110 PIM's

edit: wow, just noticed in 2011-2012 Downie had 135 PIMS in 75 games. Maybe it's more possible than I thought it was.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I hope we can get him signed to an extension, I also hope he is more discipline this year. Having a guy like Downie is a huge asset, as long as he walks the line and doesn't step over it too often.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
It's a possibility. When guys like Clarkson are getting laughably overpaid on the open market, I could see Downie looking to cash in.

If Downie went out and put up 20 Goals/60 Points next year along with 150 Pims and one of the leading players on our team, I would gladly pay him 5M without thinking twice about it.

Even right now before going into next season, if we could get him to sign something like a 5 year, 20M contract I would be all for it.

Downie deserves to be paid next contract. He's a very underrated player and what he brings to the team is next to impossible to replace.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Downie will have a 10g 30a 125 PIMs over 65 game sort of season.

He is easily one of my favorite players on the team and the Avs should make every effort to keep him here. He is the perfect 3rd line player for this team with the 3 scoring line setup.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I almost feel bad for the player that takes a run at MacKinnon during the season. Whoever it is will have both McGinn and Downie feeding them punches though with Downie maybe he'd be tasting a hockey stick or something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad