The "George" Downie Thread

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Where is the "George" thing coming from?

It's from the "Steve" game, where as our only legally named Steve player Downie needed a new name, well him and Quincey but Quincey didn't earn the Steve so he got Courtney, while Downie Steve'd it up hard enough to get a legit name

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If he was 6 feet or bigger, I think he'd be one of the most feared players in the NHL. I'm sure he already is, seeing as there is no telling what he is going to do on the ice. Although, I don't really recall seeing any wild moments with him in the Avs sweater.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
If he was 6 feet or bigger, I think he'd be one of the most feared players in the NHL. I'm sure he already is, seeing as there is no telling what he is going to do on the ice. Although, I don't really recall seeing any wild moments with him in the Avs sweater.

Not really wild but he did kick a helmet at an opposing player :laugh:

If MacKinnon gets ran I'm sure something like this will happen

McGinn: I'll hold him you punch

Downie: With my skate?

McGinn:....meh why the hell not

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I wish there was a video somewhere of him kicking that helmut down the ice last year.

Or whatever he did in the first game against Minny last year when he went crazy for no reason right out the gate. I can't remember what it was, I just remember it was ridiculous. I even went back to our GDT from last year and literally no one said he did. We all just called him an idiot for like ten pages, but didn't mention why. :laugh:

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It was against Minnesota correct?

March 17th, 2012 vs. the Rangers.

Avalanche beat NY Rangers 3-1

The better goaltender won tonight. That sums up this hockey game tonight at Madison Square Garden, where the Avalanche beat the Rangers 3-1. They did this despite the horribly unfair officiating tonight against the Rangers, with NY coach John Tortorella understandably upset at the end of the game at all those calls against his team and…oh wait, the Rangers had a 5-2 advantage on power plays tonight, including a ridiculous kicking-the-helmet call against Steve Downie with 4:51 left the game, just a few seconds after they called Downie for hooking and put the Blueshirts on the PP.​

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Yup, St. Patrick's Day game against the Rangers. I was there, getting sworn at for wearing my O'Reilly jersey :D

The helmet kick was a seriously great moment, I LOL'd so hard.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
March 17th, 2012 vs. the Rangers.

Avalanche beat NY Rangers 3-1

The better goaltender won tonight. That sums up this hockey game tonight at Madison Square Garden, where the Avalanche beat the Rangers 3-1. They did this despite the horribly unfair officiating tonight against the Rangers, with NY coach John Tortorella understandably upset at the end of the game at all those calls against his team and…oh wait, the Rangers had a 5-2 advantage on power plays tonight, including a ridiculous kicking-the-helmet call against Steve Downie with 4:51 left the game, just a few seconds after they called Downie for hooking and put the Blueshirts on the PP.​

Interesting note. While trying to find a video I stumbled across a stat saying, around that game (not that one in particular), we had gotten our 6th game that season without a powerplay awarded to us, and we had only 1 game without a powerplay in the previous 10 seasons combined.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005
Interesting note. While trying to find a video I stumbled across a stat saying, around that game (not that one in particular), we had gotten our 6th game that season without a powerplay awarded to us, and we had only 1 game without a powerplay in the previous 10 seasons combined.

I believe the Avs finished that season with 7 such games where they didnt have a single power play. If memory serves, they had a stretch where they went 7 or 8 consecutive periods without a power play. It was ridiculous. What really irritated me about that was Sacco standing behind the bench like a statue night in and night out, practically never standing up for his players. He didn't need to go Marc Crawford out there, but come on, work the officials a little for eff's sake.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Varly was amazing that game.

Yea that was a fantastic game all around for the Avs.

I remember that was a part of a 3 or 4 game road trip I think, and most Avs fans had pretty much written that game off as a loss already.

Varly played outstanding and we managed to get a very surprising win. It was that game where a lot of us Avs fans started to really think we could make playoffs that year. Came close to.

Was also a pretty nice and cool goal for Hunny. Awesome to see him score one like that when you consider how great of a teammate he has been on the Avs.

That was a great game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Speaking of George, I get to meet him next week at a local charity golf tournament. Teddy Purcell and Ryane Clowe host this event every year. Last year I got to meet O'Reilly since he became close with Purcell at the world championships. I'm assuming Downie is still close with Purcell from his Tampa days. Either that or he is just following Stamkos along who is coming as well. I've heard a few times ago Downie and Stamkos were buds in tampa.
There have been rumors that Crosby is coming too. if he comes I wouldn't be surprised if Duchene and Mackinnon make the trip since they're all training in Halifax together which is just across the pond.

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
When we play the Oilers and they send a starting line of Yakupov-RNH-Hall at some point, we should counter with McLeod-Bordeleau-Downie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad