Player Discussion The Future of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 3: Playoffs Edition

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
Pulju had no leverage, we could tell him to suck balls and stay in Finland for another 2 years.

RNH will have multiple suitors.

This, RNH will get paid, it’s just how does the team replace him? I think it’s done, rather easily at this point.

But I have no doubt a team like NJ, CBJ, and others looking for offensive help will give RNH big money

Firewagon13

Dec 1, 2017
This guys sucks. Complete no-show out there - outmuscled on pucks, zero urgency offensively, and seems like he’s lost his speed. Even if he went against 4th liners I’d doubt he’d produce, he’s allergic to attempting to create offensive chances. Spend the 6 million elsewhere in the off-season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I said the playoffs would decide his fate and so far the signs aren't good. All this talk of 5 year extension?

People are worried of a regression in year 3 of the deal. We are seeing that his regression already started.

I'm begging him to prove me wrong in these playoffs

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I said the playoffs would decide his fate and so far the signs aren't good. All this talk of 5 year extension?

People are worried of a regression in year 3 of the deal. We are seeing that his regression already started.

I'm begging him to prove me wrong in these playoffs
Well said. He would be gold if he could step up with our big stars struggling.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Overrated player. Always has been.
We'll be just fine without that elusive behind the back drop pp pass. Hopefully use that $ to sign someone who can win a board battle or make a lateral pass

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
The guy just isn’t good enough, he’s a complimentary player at best. I don’t think it’s worth looking him up for longer. It’s obvious this team is missing impact forwards.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I still think it’s amusing people are ragging on him when he’s got as many points as the good boys.

he was put on a line that predictably wasn’t going to score and he didn’t.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He did some good work on the PK tonight but other than that it wasn't a strong game for him. I'm starting to lean towards letting him and Barrie walk.

That was a good pk, and demonstration of how he can play. The uncanny thing with him always is why he doesn't play that aggressively to the puck more often, and in EV play. What RNH should be is an expert at picking pucks. He's good at it, but not nearly enough, and when he did get that break for some reason he wasn't able to break free. I mean even Shore scored a shorty this season. Nuge has 3 career shorties, which is really so disappointing the number is that low. It does characterize how little he's a big play game breaker. just doesn't seem to be in him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I still think it’s amusing people are ragging on him when he’s got as many points as the good boys.

Wait, you're picking a limited sample of two games to make this assessment?

I don't rag on the good players becasue one had 105pts and the other 84. Nuge had 15EV pts all season and finished with 35pts. All this for making 71% of what Drai makes.

Mcdrai pull the cart all year every year. Could Nuge ever rise up and claim a game like Anderson did for Montreal?

Reactions: Heavy Dee

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

He’s supposed to be a second line Centre, who’s getting paid $6M right now, and is apparently looking for the same or better on an extension. Why shouldn’t he be expected to score? Drai and McDavid have also been killing it all year so they deserve a bit more slack.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
He’s supposed to be a second line Centre, who’s getting paid $6M right now, and is apparently looking for the same or better on an extension. Why shouldn’t he be expected to score? Drai and McDavid have also been killing it all year so they deserve a bit more slack.

Yep. Players get paid for regular season. Thats just what it is. The teams own GM was saying this wasn't the year to make TDL adds. That had to be weird to hear from McDrai who had again been knocking it out of the park all year. Don't they deserve some help? Part of the reason Drai looks half dead half the time is he's having to bag such minutes in the Reg season. Both should have been parked. Too much has been riding on their shoulders, but they are too stubborn. Most elite players would realize the importance of taking games off, taking a rest. We had Drai playing 24mins in completely meaningless games.

But one would think Nuge could influence and outcome once in awhile. Even Pulju is becoming that type of player. Nurse almost got the glory last night. you rarely see Nuge make a big game game breaking play.

One goal, all it took last night for somebody to be a hero.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We have already established he’s not a good center. Putting him on his own line was doomed to failure.
Wait, you're picking a limited sample of two games to make this assessment?

I don't rag on the good players becasue one had 105pts and the other 84. Nuge had 15EV pts all season and finished with 35pts. All this for making 71% of what Drai makes.

Mcdrai pull the cart all year every year. Could Nuge ever rise up and claim a game like Anderson did for Montreal?

Regular season stats mean jack shit when you’re getting outscored by guys who have less career goals than fingers.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
We have already established he’s not a good center. Putting him on his own line was doomed to failure.

Regular season stats mean jack shit when you’re getting outscored by guys who have less career goals than fingers.

McDrai have served their worth, they have met their contracts and then some. They been worth their pay cheques. Thats indisputable, and thats one thing. The other is they will, or will not have a legacy. Continue to not get results in playoffs and they will tarnish their legacy. Still great players, still revered, but its the difference of someone being Marcel Dionne or Guy Lafleur. One gets remembered a lot more. Even though overall Dionne was the better producer, just not on such a good club.

Ron Francis. 5th leading scorer of all time, close to 1800pts. Most people today wouldn't even recognize him.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Overrated player. Always has been.
We'll be just fine without that elusive behind the back drop pp pass. Hopefully use that $ to sign someone who can win a board battle or make a lateral pass
Very true has been since his draft, McLeod looks much better. To bad he wasn’t traded for an asset.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
When is the last time he has made a strong play to generate a scoring chance by himself ? I legitimately don’t think I’ve seen that from him. Not to mention the butter soft play.

Seems like a guy that is just interested in collecting his paycheque and he sure plays like that

BudBundy

May 16, 2005

I’m on record as stating I hated them putting McDrai back together. I agree that we’ve already established Nuge isn’t getting anything done at center. That’s my whole point. He wants to get paid like he is.

While I’m thinking of it, wasn’t the rationale for paying RFA stars big money early was that they would take a little less on the their 3rd contract? Wasn’t that why Hall, Ebs, and Nuge were made $6M men instead of bridging them? Apparently it doesn’t mean squat to Nuge that he lived up to his existing contract maybe 2 of 6 years?

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
McDrai have served their worth, they have met their contracts and then some. They been worth their pay cheques. Thats indisputable, and thats one thing. The other is they will, or will not have a legacy. Continue to not get results in playoffs and they will tarnish their legacy. Still great players, still revered, but its the difference of someone being Marcel Dionne or Guy Lafleur. One gets remembered a lot more. Even though overall Dionne was the better producer, just not on such a good club.

Ron Francis. 5th leading scorer of all time, close to 1800pts. Most people today wouldn't even recognize him.
Uh...I agree with your post overall, but Ron Francis won 2 Stanley Cups playing 2nd line C. Not the best example to use, IMO.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Take the 6 mill from RNH and give some of it to Barrie.
Take $11.5M from RNH and Barrie, and give it to Saad, Bennett, and still have money to get a goalie to platoon with Smith. Give Bouchard some of those Barrie minutes and we’ll be fine.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Take $11.5M from RNH and Barrie, and give it to Saad, Bennett, and still have money to get a goalie to platoon with Smith. Give Bouchard some of those Barrie minutes and we’ll be fine.

Bennett isn't going anywhere. Saad might be staying in Colorado if his playoff performance is good.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017

Thats some fine logic you got goin there.
Maybe we should pay him 12 mil. He has as many points as Mac in these playoffs.
Smart.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Uh...I agree with your post overall, but Ron Francis won 2 Stanley Cups playing 2nd line C. Not the best example to use, IMO.

Sure, but he won on a stacked club. Agreed, but Ron Francis is kind of an enigma. Try to remember one great goal he scored or spectacular scoring play. I can for all the other players, for some reason I can't for Ron Francis. I think its like that for a lot of people. He wasn't a flashy player I guess.

But those were absolutely stacked Pens clubs. In addition to all their greats like Lemieux, Jagr, they had added guys like Trottier, Coffey, Bourque, Francis, etc, for supporting depth.. It was like an allstar club. Dionne would have won the cup too playing there. If ever there was a destined club.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Bennett isn't going anywhere. Saad might be staying in Colorado if his playoff performance is good.
Very true. My point, I guess, is that there are probably better ways to spend the $6M+ Nuge is apparently asking for, and the $6M+ someone is going to offer Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad