Player Discussion The Future of Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 3: Playoffs Edition

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you can't bring any physicality you have to be dynamic. Nuge brings nothing dynamic when the game gets tough. I don't think he sucks but it's a waste of money spending big bucks on this kind of player. He's an overhyped Tomas Tatar.

Take a look at the scoring play where Kyle Connor walked our D in the 3rd and set himself up. A dynamic play, a tricky play. Threes no reason Nuge can't make plays like that, he just never does.

Also WTF.. theres reasons why Nuge has only 3 shorties his whole life. Watch his botch job on the breakout. he has no break speed, he fumbles the puck, he doesn't get clear. he had a clean break opportunity there to be home free and somehow didn't get it. I mean he was good on the pk but look at the goal the habs got on the pk. I would be amazed if Nuge EVER scored a goal like that.

Tomas Tatar is much more physical.

Nuge had the same amount of EV pts as Kahun this season. With twice as many topsix minutes.

We need his capspace more than we need whatever he's bringing.

Reactions: McOilers97

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
That’s a very fair offer. If he walks at that, he walks. I’ve always stuck up for Nuge in past years, but his act has worn thin with me this year and he hasn’t earned more $ than that.

Yeah 5.5 x 5 is a fair offer for sure. If he walks at that, then so be it. I won't like losing him, and would likely even go a little higher than 5.5 but not much more.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
Take a look at the scoring play where Kyle Connor walked our D in the 3rd and set himself up. A dynamic play, a tricky play. Threes no reason Nuge can't make plays like that, he just never does.

Also WTF.. theres reasons why Nuge has only 3 shorties his whole life. Watch his botch job on the breakout. he has no break speed, he fumbles the puck, he doesn't get clear. he had a clean break opportunity there to be home free and somehow didn't get it. I mean he was good on the pk but look at the goal the habs got on the pk. I would be amazed if Nuge EVER scored a goal like that.

Tomas Tatar is much more physical.

Nuge had the same amount of EV pts as Kahun this season. With twice as many topsix minutes.

We need his capspace more than we need whatever he's bringing.
Yeah his lack of game breaking speed is another reason not to pay him the big bucks. Can't shell out money to guys who create nothing on their own.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
This bum is worth maybe 4.5 tops

If Holland gets dimentia soon, he will sign him to anything over this

Just a no nothing zero player. I hope he gets bood as hell like Tom Poti live if he signs a big deal

Reactions: ZenOil

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's a $4.5 million dollar player in all honesty, he does some OK things out there, but he is a total limp nothing player when asked to push the needle offensively and not just be a complimentary winger.

But he will probably be brought back here even for $7 million because Holland doesn't want to make another hole. As long as he is the defacto 3rd option on this team upfront though they're not going to go on any playoff runs.

Too weak, too soft, too uncreative. He did a good job on the PK tonight, I'll give him that, but he had a chance there where if he basically just held onto the puck he could've skated in and just roofed in a goal, instead he made a crappy pass.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He's going to walk. A team depending on him to be a line driver will regret the contract. Then again, when the Oilers stench comes off he might be good again like all the other players that leave.

It’s not like Oilers stench coming off a player hasn’t happened before. It’s happened MANY times with former Oilers, some very recently too. If i made a list it’d be 10+ players at least. Nuge is having a down year, tough call from my view. But he does need to be paid cheaper for what he’s bringing, that’s just how it works.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It’s not like Oilers stench coming off a player hasn’t happened before. It’s happened MANY times with former Oilers, some very recently too. If i made a list it’d be 10+ players at least. Nuge is having a down year, tough call from my view. But he does need to be paid cheaper for what he’s bringing, that’s just how it works.

That's not how that works. His agent and wife will be telling him to get 7 million and not take a penny less.

And the problem with that even if you're willing to pay it is he's a p***y who will then probably crumble under the pressure of living up to that contract.

Reactions: Geardedandbearded

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Lawton said 5 x $5.5M yesterday on Stauffers show. Stauffer figured he’d walk at that price. I’m not sure we get a deal done with RNH. Seattle and Columbus and possibly Calgary will offer more. If he wants the money then it’s sayonara. If he wants what’s fair in a flat cap world and chase a cup then sign on the dotted line.

Imagine the Flames with two Sean Monahan's masquerading as top 6 centres!?

d00.gif

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
That's not how that works. His agent and wife will be telling him to get 7 million and not take a penny less.

And the problem with that even if you're willing to pay it is he's a p***y who will then probably crumble under the pressure of living up to that contract.

If he played at PPG next season? And we have a gaping hole at 2C that we’ll never fill. We can’t even fill a 3C spot really. We got an overly done Turris bottom of the barrel FA. Unless there are a lot of Ednonton lovers going on the UFA market this year... maybe we’ll outluck 10+ years of generally bad pickings in the UFA market.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If he played at PPG next season? And we have a gaping hole at 2C that we’ll never fill. We can’t even fill a 3C spot really. We got an overly done Turris bottom of the barrel FA. Unless there are a lot of Ednonton lovers going on the UFA market this year... maybe we’ll outluck 10+ years of generally bad pickings in the UFA market.

Holland will pay him the stupid 7 million. He'll just crater like a wuss though under the weight of the contract, because that's who he is and decline is normal as you get closer to age 30 anyway.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Holland will pay him the stupid 7 million. He'll just crater like a wuss though under the weight of the contract, because that's who he is and decline is normal as you get closer to age 30 anyway.
Holland’s been pretty frugal for the most part. Shown to be decent at negotiating too. Nuge seems reasonable. The negotiations will probably take awhile and depend a lot on what Nuge shows in these playoffs (which thus far, isn’t much). So maybe we get him cheaper. What’s your top dollar for him again?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Holland’s been pretty frugal for the most part. Shown to be decent at negotiating too. Nuge seems reasonable. The negotiations will probably take awhile and depend a lot on what Nuge shows in these playoffs (which thus far, isn’t much). So maybe we get him cheaper. What’s your top dollar for him again?

Holland got dummied by Kassian's agent so no I don't really buy that he's that tough of a negiotiator. He had a bunch of over pays in Detroit too.

Holland will cave and give him 6.8-7 million I bet in part because he won't want to create another hole he has to fill so he'll overpay this wuss.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Holland got dummied by Kassian's agent so no I don't really buy that he's that tough of a negiotiator. He had a bunch of over pays in Detroit too.

Holland will cave and give him 6.8-7 million I bet in part because he won't want to create another hole he has to fill so he'll overpay this wuss.

Dude if he was going to pay him that much he would have signed him already.

Reactions: TheNumber4

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Dude if he was going to pay him that much he would have signed him already.

I mean Holland is probably trying to put on his poker face but in the end he will cave.

The UFA market is not that great even, although I would tell RNH to go enjoy Seattle and hold that cap for a future move down the line, don't think Holland has the balls to do that.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I mean Holland is probably trying to put on his poker face but in the end he will cave.

The UFA market is not that great even, although I would tell RNH to go enjoy Seattle and hold that cap for a future move down the line, don't think Holland has the balls to do that.

I think he's playing hardball with him like he did with Pulju. Could be he caves if he feels that the UFA market isn't going to satisfy and feels that a trade isn't out there but I would be surprised if he entertains giving RNH a raise to keep him. I think at worst we see $6M with term.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think he's playing hardball with him like he did with Pulju. Could be he caves if he feels that the UFA market isn't going to satisfy and feels that a trade isn't out there but I would be surprised if he entertains giving RNH a raise to keep him. I think at worst we see $6M with term.

Pulju had no leverage, we could tell him to suck balls and stay in Finland for another 2 years.

RNH will have multiple suitors.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Pulju had no leverage, we could tell him to suck balls and stay in Finland for another 2 years.

RNH will have multiple suitors.

Sure, but his primary interest will be bottom feeders / rebuilding teams that have 0 top 6 centres or an expansion team. Some kind of leverage. "Pay me or I'll sign with these losers"

giphy.gif

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sure, but his primary interest will be bottom feeders / rebuilding teams that have 0 top 6 centres or an expansion team. Some kind of leverage. "Pay me or I'll sign with these losers"

giphy.gif

I mean Seattle is "sexy" because Vegas has made expansion teams cool. Minnesota could pay a lot for him too. Heck maybe even Vegas themselves.

But RNH is a loser so him going to a loser wouldn't be beneath him anyway.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I mean Seattle is "sexy" because Vegas has made expansion teams cool. Minnesota could pay a lot for him too. Heck maybe even Vegas themselves.

But RNH is a loser so him going to a loser wouldn't be beneath him anyway.

Vegas won't throw significant money at RNH. If they sign him it would be for a similar 'discount'.

Seattle won't be sexy to players that want to win. People love to throw around how Vegas 'owned' the rest of the NHL but it's a massive benefit of hindsight. A lot of those guys that turned out to be great players were very unproven. (I think Theodore was the one that was truly terrible at the time but he's turned out better than I ever expected)

If he's a loser like you say then there's no point in worrying about him signing here for an overpay. Holland will call his bluff and he'll sign with some shit team for more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad