The future of our defense core?

mikebel111*

he's 6'1" and 195lbs that stacks against him.

You know there's only around 24 regular defenseman in the NHL 6'1" and under?

not to mention with gunnar, rielly and gardiner (and you can argue phaneuf as well) the leafs are already lacking a consistent physical presence.

We have Andrew Macwilliam, and Peter Granberg as well, Percy will make the NHL unless he has a terrible injury, can we stop obsessing with size? He needs to get stronger but that won't hold him back, and it's not like he is totally weak

Just curious why no one has Blacker in their leaf pairings?

We traded Blacker for Holland

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
It's laughable to think all of our D-prospects will translate.

Also laughable to think that we wont be trading for any d-men or bringing in vet d-men, can't have a team filled with young defense and expect to win.

I think Granberg will definitely do well, as well as Percy and possibly Finn, but everyone else will be hit and miss.

Granberg deserves to make the team next year, and I see Percy/finn making it the year after as we shed Gleason's contract for example.

TankNationTillDeath

Pylon4Sale
Jan 10, 2014
Toronto
We have Andrew Macwilliam, and Peter Granberg as well, Percy will make the NHL unless he has a terrible injury, can we stop obsessing with size? He needs to get stronger but that won't hold him back, and it's not like he is totally weak

We traded Blacker for Holland

My bad I meant Brennan

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
he's 6'1" and 195lbs that stacks against him.

You know there's only around 24 regular defenseman in the NHL 6'1" and under?

not to mention with gunnar, rielly and gardiner (and you can argue phaneuf as well) the leafs are already lacking a consistent physical presence.

You know who else was 6'1" 195? Nicklas Lidstrom. You know who else the Wings had that was even smaller, yet still a terrfific defensemen? Brain Rafalski. Oh, and you know who their current #1 Defensemen is at only 6'0" 190, and even has a reputation as a big hitter?

Size can get extremely overrated in the NHL. There are plenty of small players in the NHL who get by fine on their strength. Just because they're not big, it doesn't mean they aren't strong. Hell, I'd say Mark Giordano from the Flames is WAY stronger than Phaneuf despite being a fair bit smaller.

Hotlanta

Dec 1, 2009
I hope we go into next season with:

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Gardiner - Strålman
Rielly - Granberg
Ranger - Gleason

Percy gets callups, Finn gets time to develop. MacWilliam, Nilsson and Lööv continue to develop in minors, with the odd looks at NHL level.

Hoped end result:

Rielly - Percy
Gardiner - Granberg
Finn - Nilsson
Lööv

Phaneuf, Gunnarsson and Strålman moved giving us long-term assets. Gleasons contract expires, Ranger let go.

I don't think Percy has it in him to be a #2D. I see Toronto more going towards this in the next 2 years:

Gardiner - Rielly

These players have a lot more to give and by the time Gardiner is 25, he will most likely smarten up in his own end. Rielly is much better suited to play his off-side because of his skating & ability to stay calm under pressure. I don't think they will be seen as a bonafide #1-#2 pairing, but what else is new in Toronto.

Gunnarsson - Phaneuf

Nothing new here, these guys will continue to play their game, but not be relied on for as heavy minutes. This will surely bring back the Phaneuf bandwagon.

Percy - Granberg

Marlies first pairing will be back together, this time in the NHL. A very balanced pairing that will get protected minutes which they can take advantage of.

Nilsson, Loov, Finn & MacWilliam will fight over the remaining 1 or 2 spots depending on our cap situation. Inevitably, a couple defenders will need to be moved, but for now we sit back and enjoy their development.

For next season, I see Ranger walking, Franson being moved and Gleason getting one more season before being bought out. Granberg should make the team, and I would like to see Percy steal Gleason's job by the All-Star break.

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
Rielly - Gleason
Gardiner - Granberg
MacWilliam/Brennan (resign)

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
He is a UFA. He can't be any worse than Franson especially
He was known as a big defensive liability though he has improved a lot according to Spott

He should've been called up.

Either him or Granberg may have been able to improve our defence, if Brennan comes back he deserves a long look at camp

mikebel111*

He should've been called up.

Either him or Granberg may have been able to improve our defence, if Brennan comes back he deserves a long look at camp

he would have to pass through waivers.

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
The main thing I'd like to see is one spot opened up for the young guys to fight over by moving someone out.

Whoever looks best at training camp gets the job.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I see the core of this defence in the future to be Rielly, Finn, Granberg, and Percy. If Nilsson is as good as he looked at the Worlds last year, we may have a really good core group of guys in the not too distant future.

steam whistle

Nov 27, 2013
Ontario
it is no doubt

Dion, clarkson, Lupul should be gone, but the question is who will take their contracts???:naughty::naughty::naughty:

I didn't see any team will do.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Triple D

Defense depth in the current prospect pool is really it strength.
That's good.

I'd really like to see Toronto double down on Defense.
I'm in favor of a MAJOR rebuild where the Leafs aim for greener pastures in 3 years.

But Shanny & MLSE is unlikely to have the guts to do anything significant.

So ... the only thing they might do .. is ... double down on getting a better D.

Surely setting records for Most Shots of Goal will spur them to concentrate on a better blueline.

edbrubaker*

I'll never understand why Phaneuf is our most important blueliner (logs most minutes) yet Caryle plays him on the wrong side when his struggles are playing the puck in his own zone. I'd love to see the Leafs find a quality RHD (target Larsson?) to establish a dependable pairing.

Gunnarsson? I don't understand why Tanev is the greatest under appreciated blueliner yet Gunner is worthless? Good glue guy, not the issue.

Gardiner/Rielly - Patience, this is why our defense is soft but the upside is worth the wait. If Gardiner takes that next step he can force Dion out of town but that's up to him. Dion is the insurance in the meantime. Rielly and Gardiner one day each with their own pairing has Lidstrom/Rafalski-like puck possession potential.

Gleason - ..... two more years suck it up. As far as bad contracts go at least he's useful, eager to see what he can do without having to Nanny Franson all night.

Hopefully Granberg can become another good RHD, to one day replace Gunnarsson (LHD) and have natural pairings.

I don't hate this blueline. Bring a responsible vet to replace Franson and exercise patience while chemistry is found.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'll never understand why Phaneuf is our most important blueliner (logs most minutes) yet Carlyle plays him on the wrong side when his struggles are playing the puck in his own zone. I'd love to see the Leafs find a quality RHD (target Larsson?) to establish a dependable pairing.

I like this strategy.

I just looked up the Leafs 7 main D.
6 are lefties.
That seems like bad planning !

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Unless we want to be much much worst defensively, Phaneuf has to stay. You can say he sucks, you can say he's overpaid, but there's no denying that he's really good and probably the best we got in the foreseeable future.

After that, Gardiner and Rielly have shown great things in spurts. Let's just hope Nonis and the gang are not stupid. Rielly is safe but Gardiner has been thrown around a lot and that has to stop. Plenty of potential there and hopefully surrounding them with solid players is he way to go.

Gunnarsson is a low cost, low maintenance player. Probably overplayed at times but he's a player every team needs. We need to keep him.

After that, this is where it gets a little muddy. Franson is an enigma. The added minutes and responsibilities this year really took a toll on him. I think he's a decent top 4 defender but probably better suited as a #5 guy and top PP minutes. His mobility is just terrible and his hockey IQ is rather low. If there's a guy you could probably move, it's him. We need to get smarter defenders... and he's not that. With a couple offensive oriented guys like Phaneuf, Rielly and Gardiner, Franson is definitely expended. We need another Gunnarsson instead of him I think.

Gleason is just fodder for now. A decent veteran that's overpaid.

Ranger is a depth defender... meh.

Overall, I think it's a decent defensive core that needs (in a perfect world) a top 2 and a top 4 defender. Now with that said, Rielly has top pairing potential but may take a few years to achieve. Gardiner is a top 4 defender but is prone to making a lot of mistakes, which we hope he can get over in the near future. A coach that doesn't throw him to the wolves would be nice.

With Percy and Granberg likely NHLers as early as next season, the depth of the defensive core should be better.

+1000000 to everything written here. As much as people dislike Dion, once he's traded we will automatically be a worse team. You can't just acquire top line defensemen instantly...

The majority of the players who were supposed to be part of our defensive core right now are long gone. Which is why our situation is so weird. First Beauchemin was traded in that deal for Gardiner. I'm not complaining about that trade, I'm just saying he'd be nice to have right now. Also Schenn who was supposed to be our top pairing D of the future. Didn't work out.

I think Rielly can be a top D in a few years. A guy I really like is Percy. I find he's a really smart hockey player that makes very few defensive mistakes. I can see him being a Carlyle favourite. Won't get a ton of goals, but he's just so smart. I can see this being a great core in the future:

Phaneuf - Rielly
Gardiner - Percy
Gunnarsson - Franson/Granberg

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
You know who else was 6'1" 195? Nicklas Lidstrom. You know who else the Wings had that was even smaller, yet still a terrfific defensemen? Brain Rafalski. Oh, and you know who their current #1 Defensemen is at only 6'0" 190, and even has a reputation as a big hitter?

Size can get extremely overrated in the NHL. There are plenty of small players in the NHL who get by fine on their strength. Just because they're not big, it doesn't mean they aren't strong. Hell, I'd say Mark Giordano from the Flames is WAY stronger than Phaneuf despite being a fair bit smaller.

i guess you didnt' read did you. only 24 defenseman out of around 170 or so are 6'1" and smaller. so what are the odds? say what you want but size and strength does matter when you are dealing with forwards that play a grinding game against the boards - in both size and also arm and stick length.

so the odds? slim.

Everyone's penciling him in as a given that he will translate into the NHL - as a AHL prospect with only a year of AHL experience under his belt.

Ehere's always exceptions to the rule - we could probably produce a list of 100's or small prospects that did NOT make it in - just to show you how absolutely ridiculous your assessment is.

it would be like saying because St Louis is 5'8" and we have a prospect that is 5'8" that it's obvious he'll make it in, even though statistically 99% of them do not.

and seriously .. bringing up Lidstrom? really?

smh...

Last edited:

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We may need to chill out on percy and Finn guys... These guys are gonna take a lot longer then you guys think... I know Percys calm with the puck and hes ready for the NHL puck wise but hes still gonna need to work on foot speed physical strength and his overall defensive game before being ready to make the jump, same as Finn...

Granberg and Macwilliam will be ready for bottom pair roles very soon. Percy and Finn will be groomed for a top 4 role.

How i see our defense is this...

Rielly is our future #1..

Gardiner is our future #3

These two kids are extremely talented..Both of them have a lot of two way potential...I think both these guys will be better two way d men then the likes of Green, Letang and Karlsson. Gardiner was actually really good defensively this year especially at the end... He just looked bad with a ton of bad turnovers in november December.

Phaneuf could easily be the #2.. But its a matter of making pairings that work... Does Rielly-Phaneuf work as a pairing?? We dont know.. Rielly may need someone a little calmer positionally who does step up a lot...Id say signing Fayne and trade Franny for a 2nd round pick would be a step in the right direction for our d core.

Fayne would be an excellent #4 beside Gardiner on the 2nd pair.

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
D Pairings for next year?

What do you guys think will be the pairings for next season?
Assuming we don't upgrade maybe try this:

Phanuef- Reilly
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Ranger- Gleason

Top pairing probably gets lit up but do we put gleason on there then? Gardiner needs someone steady to play with after the Franson debacle. Also we really need a right handed d-man (not Franson)

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012

Phanuef- Reilly
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Ranger- Gleason

Top pairing probably gets lit up but do we put gleason on there then? Gardiner needs someone steady to play with after the Franson debacle. Also we really need a right handed d-man (not Franson)

Why would the top pair get lit up? Dion had great defensive numbers until the team collapse and Rielly looked solid the second half of the season. Rielly should also be able to make good outlet passes and get out of the zone easier.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

Phanuef- Reilly
Gunnarson - Gardiner
Ranger- Gleason

boy does reilly look alot like drew doughty.holy smokes..thats the guy we have to focus on getting better,a true building block ,
i think granberg is in ,ranger gleason might be stretching it for your bottom pair unless ranger comes in at a milion again

studebaker17

Jan 24, 2010
i like the op's line up but you can throw holzer,and granberg into the mix as well. it may make some trades happen as well. i can see gunner, gleason becoming expendable. giving reilly the toughest matchups may not be a good idea yet though. gardiner is a little more ready so maybe make the 2nd pairing carry a little more of matchup game leaving the 1st pairing a little more of the offensive game balancing out a little.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad