The Full Tank (Part 1)

Do you think the the Isles organization (Lou) is trying to intentionally tank the season?

• No. He believes there is reason for optimism and even a playoff spot could happen.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. He knows we are going to suck but will try to get as many points as possible, picks be damned.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • No. He knows Trotz will not allow himself to be a part of something like that.

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you meant Filppula and Komarov, they are 7th and 8th in ice time among forwards - or exactly what you would expect for third-line players. They are also 1st and 2nd in PK ice time (and effective - Filppula only on for one and Komarov for none), and the PK has improved from 31st to 20th so far.
They are getting around 8 even strength minutes a night. Want to know why? Look at their advanced stats which are comically off the charts bad. Last game when they were on the ice they had 3 chances for and 16 against. That's real bad. Trotz isn't stupid, he sees when they are on the ice 5v5 the opposing team ends up camped out in the Isles zone.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
They are getting around 8 even strength minutes a night. Want to know why? Look at their advanced stats which are comically off the charts bad. Last game when they were on the ice they had 3 chances for and 16 against. That's real bad. Trotz isn't stupid, he sees when they are on the ice 5v5 the opposing team ends up camped out in the Isles zone.
Where do you come up with these numbers?

Komarov for the season is averaging 10:32 es, plus 2:06 pk. Only once has he had under 9 (8:23), in a game where he also had over 3 1/2 minutes of pk.

Filppula for the season is averaging 11:18 es, plus 2:12 pk. Only once has he had under 9 (8:58), in a game where he also had over 3 1/2 minutes of pk.

In no game have either been as low as eight, although you suggest that is what they average.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
If you think there is some grand plan by the organization to tank why do you think Trotz gave Sbisa a seat in the press box after 4 games and tries to have Kromerov and Filpilla on the ice for as little time as humanly possible?
Did you read what I wrote? BT will continue to coach to win as much as possible with whatever personnel he has and Lou wouldn't have it any other way. BT is a great coach, not a miracle worker.

Last edited:

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
And I would also like to point out for the 10,000th time that with the lottery tanking has a very low probability of working because you end up with a top 3 pick entirely by dumb luck. And fans of several teams who've tried this approach and it ended up a disaster could probably tell you how risky and dangerous it is.
The low probability you are talking about refers to getting the #1 pick, as though that were the only goal. The goal is to get the best draft position possible. As for "risky and dangerous", what is the risk and what is the danger? For the Islanders, I contend that there is none. As I mentioned in another post, what are we going to do, lose fans? Have you seen our attendance figures? We can't go any lower. No risk, no danger.

Reactions: IODCPiper

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Truthfully, I firmly believe LL thought this would be a bubble team. And a year to evaluate what he has to work with, thus, what are the needs to upgrade.
Even with signings like Komarov, Filppula, Sbisa, etc? You really think he thought he could win with that?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Even with signings like Komarov, Filppula, Sbisa, etc? You really think he thought he could win with that?
All I can say is that if you want the answer to that question ask it on the Devils board. He is not tanking, he thinks these are guys you win with. Believe me I honestly wish he was tanking because then it would make sense and not be an indicator his views on how to win are 15 years out of date, which is the thought that terrifies me.

Reactions: Pumpkin Pal

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Komorov and Filppula have been two of the Islanders best players so far.... want to point the finger somewhere, look at the top six, backup goaltender and half of the defense.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
All I can say is that if you want the answer to that question ask it on the Devils board. He is not tanking, he thinks these are guys you win with. Believe me I honestly wish he was tanking because then it would make sense and not be an indicator his views on how to win are 15 years out of date, which is the thought that terrifies me.
Despite all I've written, I do share some of your concerns about Lou, but he is a pro and I don't think BT would have come here if he didn't have confidence in him.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I've posted this twice before but will add it here: with the tough early schedule, new coach, new players, new system, if the Isles are at .500 after 15 games we should stop thinking about tanking and start considering sneaking into the playoffs.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Filppula and Komarov second and third in ice time (among forwards) in another win, and 3 for 3 on the PK.

Reactions: dood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Respectable start. 5-4-1 after 10 games. Getting the maximum from their roster. 2 pts out of a wild card with a lot of teams in the mix. It's still early to say tank or playoffs, but atleast this Isles team is giving their fans something to be proud about. There is no laying down, and as a NHL fan you have to respect this.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Respectable start. 5-4-1 after 10 games. Getting the maximum from their roster. 2 pts out of a wild card with a lot of teams in the mix. It's still early to say tank or playoffs, but atleast this Isles team is giving their fans something to be proud about. There is no laying down, and as a NHL fan you have to respect this.

I think we all expected this team to compete and be a pain in the ass to play against, it's proving to be true. The much maligned signings for the bottom-6 have worked out nicely so far. They're big and they all compete, they have a role and the coach knows how to utilize them to their strengths. Flip and Leo get crazy ice time, warriors that lay it on the line to get it done.

The problem with this team is simply lack of talent. We have one gamebreaker still growing into the alpha, we just need to upgrade the talent around him. If this team can add a premium center and LHD to the current assets, we would have all the pieces for a nice foundation for a long term core.

If we draft a top-5 center prospect (Cozens/Dach please), Sorokin comes over, Wahlstrom is ready to contribute, Dobson is ready to contribute, Toews is as advertised, and Lou lands a big fish UFA (Bobrovsky? Panarin?)... we could be a serious sleeper playoff team next year.

Beau-Barzal-Wahlstrom
Lee-Cozens/Dach-Bailey
Ladd/Bellows-XXX-Komorov
Martin/Ross-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Dal Colle and JHS as wildcards.

Toews-Pulock
Leddy-Dobson
Hickey/Pelech-Boychuk/Mayfield

Bobrovsky/Sorokin

The cherry on top would be getting a LHD with another 1st, a player that projects to be a solid top-4 LD.

Systematically replace the vets with youngsters. This team could make noise the season before Belmont which would ideal to open up a new building with a strong team built to last.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
I've posted this twice before but will add it here: with the tough early schedule, new coach, new players, new system, if the Isles are at .500 after 15 games we should stop thinking about tanking and start considering sneaking into the playoffs.
I know about the "lightning in a bottle" and "anything can happen" possibilities, but what would be the real point of making the playoffs for this team? To prove we could? We would have zero chance of winning the Cup and such a finish would weaken our draft position. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't want the Isles to become the Wild, a team just good enough to make the playoffs every year but with no chance of winning it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Isles are playing well enough for a 10-15 pick or a shot at a wild card. The good is Isles picked Dobson and Wahlstrom 11-12 year. Also being in the mix for a playoff spot can only be a source of pride in the team. Win-win.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
CD06E75E-0133-4A25-BEF3-833C9957D99D.png
This chart is kind of funny because the Isles seem to be bucking this completely. They are still winning games when they give up a huge number of shots. They must have a lot of blue going on!!!

I heard somewhere, I think on the Pens broadcast on XM that the Caps had the lowest shots on goal in the NHL last year and won the Cup. I have confirmed that.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad