The Full Tank (Part 1)

Do you think the the Isles organization (Lou) is trying to intentionally tank the season?

• No. He believes there is reason for optimism and even a playoff spot could happen.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. He knows we are going to suck but will try to get as many points as possible, picks be damned.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • No. He knows Trotz will not allow himself to be a part of something like that.

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Pelech, Mayfield, Leddy
Pulock and Hickey are all showing us that they just aren't good on defense. Maybe Pulock will improve but I'm trying to find something I can hang my hat on and can't. Barzal will regress in this system so no we don't even have him to enjoy.
I'm not looking for shootouts. I'm looking for talent. Young talent. Offensive talent. Skill players not old third and fourth liners. Take a look around the league and it's pathetic.
The Islanders are worse off this season than last. Not only did they lose their best player they did nothing to improve the line up offensively. Greiss and Lehner are back up goalies. LL is trying to put lipstick on a pig.
The team has gone from last in the league in goals against last season to currently sitting at 9th in the league in GAA. It may not hold up all season, but I hardly see how you can currently call it worse off than last season.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
We get Stephen Gionta and Luca Sbisa
Undrafted talent would be nice instead of retreads.
Yzerman has done a nice job finding Tyler Johnson, Yann Gourde, and Jonathan Marchessault

If you get it, no explanation needed. If you don't, no explanation possible.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Stupid team can't even tank properly! And did someone forget to tell those useless antiques Filppula, Komarov, and Martin that they can't play decent shutdown, and especially can't score?

So, a hypothetical question: if Lou and Trotz are trying to tank, but instead end up winning the Cup, did they succeed or fail? :huh:

Reactions: nyisles

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
Stupid team can't even tank properly! And did someone forget to tell those useless antiques Filppula, Komarov, and Martin that they can't play decent shutdown, and especially can't score?

So, a hypothetical question: if Lou and Trotz are trying to tank, but instead end up winning the Cup, did they succeed or fail? :huh:
More likely outcome is that they squeak into the playoffs, get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, and then the tanktards furiously take to their keyboards to tell us all how pointless it was to win that many games instead of Lose for Hughes™️

Reactions: sabremike

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
More likely outcome is that they squeak into the playoffs, get bounced in the 1st or 2nd round, and then the tanktards furiously take to their keyboards to tell us all how pointless it was to win that many games instead of Lose for Hughes™️
How would that be much different than last season when the Islanders won three straight and still failed to make the playoffs?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
The team has gone from last in the league in goals against last season to currently sitting at 9th in the league in GAA. It may not hold up all season, but I hardly see how you can currently call it worse off than last season.
I don’t see how anyone can see this team hasn’t played better for 6 games thus far. I mean the Carolina game wasn’t good and 1st period in Nashville wasn’t good but you could say the other 14 periods this team has played they were the better team. A real coaching staff certainly has made a difference in a albeit small sample size.

Reactions: nyisles and Seph

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don’t see how anyone can see this team hasn’t played better for 6 games thus far. I mean the Carolina game wasn’t good and 1st period in Nashville wasn’t good but you could say the other 14 periods this team has played they were the better team. A real coaching staff certainly has made a difference in a albeit small sample size.

That's all I'm looking for this season. Get more structure, get the players to buy in, and then infuse some more talent in the upcoming seasons.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
How would that be much different than last season when the Islanders won three straight and still failed to make the playoffs?

Oh please. Do you need someone to actually explain to you why making the playoffs in the first season without Tavares regardless of how they do would be a huge deal? I'm sure you know why you seem like a smart guy.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Oh please. Do you need someone to actually explain to you why making the playoffs in the first season without Tavares regardless of how they do would be a huge deal? I'm sure you know why you seem like a smart guy.

I would personally prefer to draft like top 3 for the next few years instead of barely missing or making the playoffs. I get that It's hard to watch a rebuild or tank job and understand how fans would be opposed but you are actually missing my point.
I was talking about how a lot of fans (possible majority) were upset at the team for winning the last three games of the season last year because of draft position.
The attitude what's the sense?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I would personally prefer to draft like top 3 for the next few years instead of barely missing or making the playoffs. I get that It's hard to watch a rebuild or tank job and understand how fans would be opposed but you are actually missing my point.
I was talking about how a lot of fans (possible majority) were upset at the team for winning the last three games of the season last year because of draft position.
The attitude what's the sense?

Showing the rest of the NHL that you're able to make the playoffs after a star player leaves, and couldn't do it while they were there, indicates that the issue was with that player or the coaching staff/management. It would indicate that the problems on the Island have been resolved and could influence some quality players to want to come and play for an up and coming team, rather than a rebuilding team.

It also shows the current players that a team is more important than any individual. Something Lamoriello has been preaching, so it would be validating and only further buy in from the roster. Winning begets winning.

The draft picks are more of a crap shoot than ever before, why tank without a guarantee? Just accumulate as many draft picks for veterans and young talented players as possible.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Showing the rest of the NHL that you're able to make the playoffs after a star player leaves, and couldn't do it while they were there, indicates that the issue was with that player or the coaching staff/management. It would indicate that the problems on the Island have been resolved and could influence some quality players to want to come and play for an up and coming team, rather than a rebuilding team.

It also shows the current players that a team is more important than any individual. Something Lamoriello has been preaching, so it would be validating and only further buy in from the roster. Winning begets winning.

The draft picks are more of a crap shoot than ever before, why tank without a guarantee? Just accumulate as many draft picks for veterans and young talented players as possible.
I would love it. Also, I don't want Barzal to wait years for playoffs like Judas did.

We could still draft a pastranek or Barzal or whomever with our first instead of another Strome easily.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I would love it. Also, I don't want Barzal to wait years for playoffs like Judas did.

We could still draft a pastranek or Barzal or whomever with our first instead of another Strome easily.
i think most of us are aware that there is a changing of the guards, so to speak. i am all for winning, if we can, as tanking doesn't guarantee anything.

having the next group, Barzal, Beau, Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, Whally, Wilde, Bellows, JHS, etc..., gain valuable playoff experience, is something that should start, ASAP, IMO.

Reactions: nyisles

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
i think most of us are aware that there is a changing of the guards, so to speak. i am all for winning, if we can, as tanking doesn't guarantee anything.

having the next group, Barzal, Beau, Pulock, Pelech, Dobson, Whally, Wilde, Bellows, JHS, etc..., gain valuable playoff experience, is something that should start, ASAP, IMO.

I absolutely agree with the playoff experience. Waiting four or five years before getting your first taste of playoffs means you're probably not prepared for what it takes. Getting there young can be motivating and help push you to another level when you realize that your ultimate goal is in jeopardy if you don't. It's kind of a "if I knew then what I know now" type of scenario.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

The cream rises to the top, we lack the high end talent to be more than a bubble team at best. Things look very promising at the moment, but things normalize as the season progresses. So many things would have to go our way to squeak into the playoffs. I would welcome a miracle playoff run, but I'm also prepared to see this team 'tank' at the deadline and be big sellers.

The franchise still needs an infusion of young talent to the current foundation. We have a hole the size of Texas at center at all levels of the organization. We could also use a high end LHD.

This upcoming offseason is where Lou will truly have a chance to transform this team. Armed with multiple draft picks, a ton of cap space, a strong existing prospect group, and a shovel in the ground... we can land a big fish UFA or two.

Let's say we draft one of the top center prospects like Cozens/Dach/Turcotte, sign Bobvosky, Sorokin comes over, and vaunted top prospects Wahlstrom and Dobson are ready to contribute along with Bellows/JHS/Dal Colle. Suddenly we are a young and exciting team on the rise.

While nothing ever perfectly goes to plan, I don't think the moves listed above are unrealistic.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
This is the first year in my entire life that I have seen such structure in playing style. It is fun to watch.

In our first 6 games we have given up 2 or less goals 3 times. Last season it took until game 15 . On a side note, Doug Weight coaching the Ice Holes in the Cleveland Beer League lost last night 26 -7.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If History has shown us one thing--Lou does not tank-he makes moves for the long term and builds through the draft with lots of picks--without relying on top picks. He builds via overall depth as opposed to getting one good guy

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
If History has shown us one thing--Lou does not tank-he makes moves for the long term and builds through the draft with lots of picks--without relying on top picks. He builds via overall depth as opposed to getting one good guy

As have pretty much all the good teams.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
that being said I can see Eberle and a few of you older soon to be UFAS being packed off for picks at the deadline--as an Oiler fan who has seen Lou from a distance--I do not think Eberle is Lou's type of player

Of course expiring UFAs will be looked at to trade at the deadline, especially if we are out of it. Being sellers at the deadline is not tanking, though people just say that word if a team think it's smarter to cut their losses and look to next year (not saying you are saying that). After every move, people just throw "TANK" hot takes around.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Of course expiring UFAs will be looked at to trade at the deadline, especially if we are out of it. Being sellers at the deadline is not tanking, though people just say that word if a team think it's smarter to cut their losses and look to next year (not saying you are saying that). After every move, people just throw "TANK" hot takes around.

in the case of Eberle--I can not see him taking a smaller contract with any team--he is on 6 a year and he will try for more as a UFA--do not think he will get it--but he will try and that will be one reason he gets moved

The biggest misconception people have about moving UFAS is that a team is tanking--for me it is asset management--I am a firm believer in getting something for nothing

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->