The Full Tank (Part 1)

Do you think the the Isles organization (Lou) is trying to intentionally tank the season?

• No. He believes there is reason for optimism and even a playoff spot could happen.

Votes: 52 41.6%
  • No. He knows we are going to suck but will try to get as many points as possible, picks be damned.

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • No. He knows Trotz will not allow himself to be a part of something like that.

Votes: 18 14.4%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Yes. He's definitely tanking it, our only hope for the future is/are top 5 picks.

Votes: 9 7.2%

• Total voters

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
This team really already has all it needs for a good coach (and we've got him) to fight for the 8th PO spot. I expect nothing less.

In the few games thus far where this team didn't play all that well (in CAR, in NAS, in SJ), what popped out at me is that guys made a fair share of completely controllable individual mistakes, some of which were uncharacteristically poor. Hickey was a chicken with his head cut off in San Jose. Pelech has been just that several games as well. Several forwards have had games where it seemed like every puck on their stick was soon dished off cleanly to an opponent. These kinds of things have been pure individual mistakes.

And it's the little, little, little things that decide games.

As for the next two drafts, there's PLENTY of talent in to go around, so those who may like the theoretical idea about tanking have little to worry about.

As long as Lou keeps those firsts...

Reactions: dood

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Only 8 games in, got to give this team at least 20-25 games to see how the season is shaping up. We should have a better idea by then if trading vets like Leddy and Eberle will be the focus.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Only 8 games in, got to give this team at least 20-25 games to see how the season is shaping up. We should have a better idea by then if trading vets like Leddy and Eberle will be the focus.

Normally I would want to trade Leddy for prospects but a duck fan on the trade board suggested Leddy for Fowler. I don't know how the Isles don't pull that trigger because you have him for 7 more years after this.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We can only hope. Maybe the team can get some draft picks.
Normally I would want to trade Leddy for prospects but a duck fan on the trade board suggested Leddy for Fowler. I don't know how the Isles don't pull that trigger because you have him for 7 more years after this.

I think this year if it is starting to turn into non playoff appearance. The Isles can take a page out of Montreal's or NJ's book of a quick turnaround.

Sometimes, just the change in chemistry can do wonders for a team. I would like to the Isles to get faster. Leddy is fast enough, but if there is interest, he could bring back younger prospects. It will be fascinating to see how Lou and Trotz who will have roster input change this roster. The kids are being groomed to take over. This year could be a plate setting for future success.

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
Tanking is overrated. And they are not trying to tank, nobody who tries to tank hires Trotz. Islanders are 2 points from top8 currently it's very even league now. Also coach changes statistically take some time to take any significant effect.
Tell Toronto how overrated tanking is. True, there are no guarantees as it relates to the draft, but the notion that our current position of "only 2 points from top 8" actually means something is laughable. This is a mediocre to bad hockey team and we are not going to sniff the playoffs, Barry Trotz or no Barry Trotz. We just don't have the talent and hard work and system can only get you so far. You still need great players. Our two legitimate wins so far have come against 1) LA, arguably the worst team in the league and 2) San Jose, a team that was playing a hockey game when they are usually having their morning coffee. Listen, I don't like the notion of tanking either, but I am convinced that if that is what Lou thinks will get us to where we want to get to as quickly as possible, then he will make roster and other decisions toward that end. Meanwhile, BT will continue to coach to win and to build the system as much as possible. The two things are not necessarily at odds with one another. Finally, I agree with those who believe that a middle of the pack finish with middle of the pack draft odds is the worst possible outcome and even with Lou's manipulations, I fear that is exactly where we're headed. I am still dumbfounded by the stupidity of not trading PB at the deadline last year. That failure to act cost us two years, minimum. I hope Lou will do whatever he has to do to try to catch up.

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Tell Toronto how overrated tanking is. True, there are no guarantees as it relates to the draft, but the notion that our current position of "only 2 points from top 8" actually means something is laughable. This is a mediocre to bad hockey team and we are not going to sniff the playoffs, Barry Trotz or no Barry Trotz. We just don't have the talent and hard work and system can only get you so far. You still need great players. Our two legitimate wins so far have come against 1) arguably the worst team in the league (LA) and 2) a San Jose team that was playing a hockey game when they are usually having their morning coffee. Listen, I don't like the notion of tanking either, but I am convinced that if that is what Lou thinks will get us to where we want to get to as quickly as possible, then he will make roster and other decisions toward that end. Meanwhile, BT will continue to coach to win and to build the system as much as possible. The two things are not necessarily at odds with one another. But I agree with those who believe that a middle of the pack finish with middle of the pack draft odds is the worst possible outcome and even with Lou's manipulations, I fear that is exactly where we're headed. I am still dumbfounded by the stupidity of not trading PB at the deadline last year. That failure to act cost us two years, minimum. I hope Lou will do whatever he has to do to try to catch up.
I agree with this. A rebuild is at odds with what Lou said he wanted to do but the roster quality isn’t really there to make a meaningful run at the playoffs. Just wait until other teams find their groove for the season. This club is destined for bottom ten or worse.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I agree with this. A rebuild is at odds with what Lou said he wanted to do but the roster quality isn’t really there to make a meaningful run at the playoffs. Just wait until other teams find their groove for the season. This club is destined for bottom ten or worse.

The team lacks high end talent, plain and simple. While Lou would never admit the team is tanking, he certainly has them positioned to sell off any of the UFA's and possibly a core asset like Leddy as rumored.

Expect Lou to have multiple picks in the draft, a ton of cap space, and being prepared this time to reshape the roster.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The team lacks high end talent, plain and simple. While Lou would never admit the team is tanking, he certainly has them positioned to sell off any of the UFA's and possibly a core asset like Leddy as rumored.

Expect Lou to have multiple picks in the draft, a ton of cap space, and being prepared this time to reshape the roster.

I think the plan is to hang in there as long as possible but as soon as they realise they aren't going to the playoffs, the tank will begin. Players will be offloaded and picks accumulated

I think this is accurate. It's also the smart move.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
am i the only word that doesn't like the word 'tank'? to me, tanking is filling the team with guys like Strait and Quine. you know you aren't going anywhere.

if LL&BT get rid if the dead weight, and give time to our youngsters, this is not tanking, IMO. it is more about developing, giving our youth valuable experience. hell, they may take off and get us into a playoff spot.

anyway, i just don't see them tanking. it creates an atmosphere of low expectations, goes against everything that they are doing.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
am i the only word that doesn't like the word 'tank'? to me, tanking is filling the team with guys like Strait and Quine. you know you aren't going anywhere.

if LL&BT get rid if the dead weight, and give time to our youngsters, this is not tanking, IMO. it is more about developing, giving our youth valuable experience. hell, they may take off and get us into a playoff spot.

anyway, i just don't see them tanking. it creates an atmosphere of low expectations, goes against everything that they are doing.

I agree with the latter.

As it seems most here do...

But Trotz' thing will take time and at some point, we'll see that some players fit and others don't. And if the results end up equating to this team being out of the running for a PO spot by January, I'm sure we'll see some consequences. And by then, the AHL boys will be nice and warm and in flow. That could really give us something to look forward to, especially if Lou can move some bodies for picks/prospects in the process.

I know many fans ultimately want to see us go the way of the draft. As of now, our draft next year is lacking picks in the middle rounds. We have a 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, and 7th. That's not a whole lot of ammunition for a team looking to go that route.

That too however won't matter too much if Lou is also successful in perhaps adding a few college or junior UFAs as well as the odd Europlayer here or there.

I'd have loved to see us sign a guy like Kahun, Suomela or Lindholm this past summer. I think it's only a question of time until a team finally reels in Dominik Kubalik or Jakub Lilja.

Anyhow, the current group certainly has enough to contend for that 8th PO spot and we should have a real good read on whether that can happen or not by the 35-game mark.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I would assume the prime directive from ownership is to have a playoff team ready to go when the new building opens up. I'm not so sure they care as much how we get there, but they definitely want that much. In the meantime, install a system that works, pare off the dead weight and build around the next generation. If that means we have to take a step back to go forwards...so be it.

Reactions: dood and PWJunior

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
In our first 6 games we have given up 2 or less goals 3 times. Last season it took until game 15 . On a side note, Doug Weight coaching the Ice Holes in the Cleveland Beer League lost last night 26 -7.

On only 33 shots on goal . . . unfortunately the Weight defense approach yielded 31 2 on 1's on bad pinches . . .

Reactions: bigtim1988

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018
They aren’t tanking, they are just mediocre.

They may flirt w a WC slot for a while.

Won’t be bad enough for a 40% shot at Hughes.
Then what's the point? Pretty tired of 80 point seasons. If we can't win now then we should do what we have to to be able to win in the future, hopefully the near future. We have two players - two - that I would hold on to at virtually any cost, Barzal and Pulock. After that, meh. I mean seriously, take an OBJECTIVE look at our roster. No coach in the league is staying up nights worrying about it. Except ours.

Forwards Defense Goalies
Josh Bailey Johnny Boychuk Thomas Greiss
Mathew Barzal Thomas Hickey Robin Lehner
Anthony Beauvillier Nick Leddy
Casey Cizikas Scott Mayfield
Cal Clutterbuck Adam Pelech
Jordan Eberle Ryan Pulock
Valtteri Filppula Luca Sbisa
Ross Johnston
Leo Komarov
Tom Kuhnhackl
Andrew Ladd
Anders Lee (C)
Matt Martin
Brock Nelson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

pursuit81

Apr 12, 2018

None of us like it. And none of us like that we may have to do it. But previous management screwed up this organization so badly that drastic measures are called for and if that's what it takes to make us a Cup contender sooner, then so be it. It's not like we're going to lose the 8000 true believers who are showing up to our games now. Hell, we're the only ones left and we're not going anywhere. Though at times I'm sure we all wish this f*cking club wasn't in our DNA.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
no one wants to rebuild. It's usually long and painful and doesn't always work.
But being stuck in mediocrity IMO is a lot worse. Barely missing or making the playoffs does little to help the future of this team.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I've been watching the islanders rebuild since 1995. I think they tried to win games in maybe six of those years since. By the time the ISLES win a cup the league will have 50 teams with most people being dead before 75. I'd rather just see competitive teams, enjoy the regular season, instead of having the season being over well before thanksgiving

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Then what's the point? Pretty tired of 80 point seasons. If we can't win now then we should do what we have to to be able to win in the future, hopefully the near future. We have two players - two - that I would hold on to at virtually any cost, Barzal and Pulock. After that, meh. I mean seriously, take an OBJECTIVE look at our roster. No coach in the league is staying up nights worrying about it. Except ours.

ForwardsDefenseGoalies
Josh BaileyJohnny BoychukThomas Greiss
Mathew BarzalThomas HickeyRobin Lehner
Anthony BeauvillierNick Leddy
Casey CizikasScott Mayfield
Cal ClutterbuckAdam Pelech
Jordan EberleRyan Pulock
Valtteri FilppulaLuca Sbisa
Ross Johnston
Leo Komarov
Tom Kuhnhackl
Andrew Ladd
Anders Lee (C)
Matt Martin
Brock Nelson
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Truthfully, I firmly believe LL thought this would be a bubble team. And a year to evaluate what he has to work with, thus, what are the needs to upgrade.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you think there is some grand plan by the organization to tank why do you think Trotz gave Sbisa a seat in the press box after 4 games and tries to have Kromerov and Filpilla on the ice for as little time as humanly possible?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
And I would also like to point out for the 10,000th time that with the lottery tanking has a very low probability of working because you end up with a top 3 pick entirely by dumb luck. And fans of several teams who've tried this approach and it ended up a disaster could probably tell you how risky and dangerous it is.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
If you think there is some grand plan by the organization to tank why do you think Trotz gave Sbisa a seat in the press box after 4 games and tries to have Kromerov and Filpilla on the ice for as little time as humanly possible?
If you meant Filppula and Komarov, they are 7th and 8th in ice time among forwards - or exactly what you would expect for third-line players. They are also 1st and 2nd in PK ice time (and effective - Filppula only on for one and Komarov for none), and the PK has improved from 31st to 20th so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad