Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I am hopeful that Freddie plays well, but I am suddenly scared that we are going to break a good trend here....

Leafs finally receive a good scenario and they find a way to make it cloudy.

What if Andersen plays lights out? What if he gives up five and Jack does the same against the Jets?

Jack went 17-2-2. The six games prior to him coming in, the Leafs went 1-5.

Just go with Campbell/Rittich, tell Freddie to be a good soldier unless an injury requires his service. There is no I in team. The team was playing well even through injuries I would never disrupt a team that is humming along. He had his two games in the AHL, this is over-coddling.

Reactions: LeafsRus

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018

It's only cloudy to the fans at this point as we have no idea what Keefe's plan is. Now if he doesn't have a plan yet, that's another story.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
It's only cloudy to the fans at this point as we have no idea what Keefe's plan is. Now if he doesn't have a plan yet, that's another story.

I'm sure Campbell is starting, that's not even my concern. It's the ongoing debate, speculation and distraction.

If I am coach, it's simple: Campbell backed up by Rittich is my team. This close to the playoffs all of this is silly. Turn off the noise and focus on what brought you the division.

SoCal Leafs

Jul 1, 2018
So Cal
What roster moves are needed so that Freddy can play and the Leafs can still be cap-compliant? CapFriendly has them at $120,658 cap space right now.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I agree. Campbell has done everything we could’ve hoped for out of a starting goalie. There’s no way they start andersen. I’m hoping for a serviceable start for Freddy, so if we do need him in the playoffs he has something to build on mentally first.
Bingo!

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Freddie's presence had better NOT ruin the chemistry going on in that locker room right now

His presence has certainly ruined the chemistry of the leafs board. We had a good thing going, we mostly agreed on things. Things were good, now look at where we are.
Y’all have a personal vendetta against him? This is such a nothing situation that people are trying to blow up. He gets 1 meaningless game against Ottawa, He wins and plays good? Great he can be the backup. Probably won’t get starts in the playoffs but will be on the bench with the boys. If he doesn’t do well and we win or lose, also great, we just use Rittich and let him walk. As for chemistry, if 1 game can ruin this teams chemistry With a different goalie in net, then we ain’t shit, literally had this happen earlier in the season when Andersen was playing bad, what happened after? We got Jack to 11-0-0. you can tell the guys like Fred, hell Matthews even quarantined with him in Arizona. They even got him a custom helmet to wear during the Allstar game. Literally is no down side to this

Reactions: DarkKnight

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

What if Andersen plays lights out? What if he gives up five and Jack does the same against the Jets?

Jack went 17-2-2. The six games prior to him coming in, the Leafs went 1-5.

Just go with Campbell/Rittich, tell Freddie to be a good soldier unless an injury requires his service. There is no I in team. The team was playing well even through injuries I would never disrupt a team that is humming along. He had his two games in the AHL, this is over-coddling.
Why would a 1 game sample for each change anything?

Theres nothing cloudy about the situation. Campbell is the starter and will get game 1 in the playoffs, barring injury.

Theres no harm giving him a shot to be the backup. And the backup will most likely get some games in the playoffs, so you need to see if he's competent.

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Andersen will be the back-up goaltender in the playoffs. There's no chance that they allow Rittich or Hutchinson be the viable back-up to Campbell. Yes, Andersen has had a bad season, but he's still better than Rittich and Hutchinson, it's not even close.

Andersen will be the back-up in round one.

Reactions: Dr C

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Why would a 1 game sample for each change anything?

Theres nothing cloudy about the situation. Campbell is the starter and will get game 1 in the playoffs, barring injury.

Theres no harm giving him a shot to be the backup. And the backup will most likely get some games in the playoffs, so you need to see if he's competent.

It all depends on him. If he is understanding of the situation and accepts being here for the ride as a good teammate, ok. I'd put Rittich number two, that's just me as a firm believer in sports psychology and momentum.

I just don't want Campbell to see Freddie on the bench and wonder about the old pecking order. Leafs need full focus and a confident, rolling goalie is a huge part of this.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Andersen will be the back-up goaltender in the playoffs. There's no chance that they allow Rittich or Hutchinson be the viable back-up to Campbell. Yes, Andersen has had a bad season, but he's still better than Rittich and Hutchinson, it's not even close.

Andersen will be the back-up in round one.

This is just wrong. Someone posted the stats for the last two seasons for Rittich and Andersen, IIRC they were very close. Add in the fact that Andersen's not in game shape and usually takes at least a month to get going and I don't see how anyone can say it's clear that you take him over Rittich.

Reactions: LeafsRus and Kanu

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I understand Freddie has struggled for a while and we all love Jack. But can we stop with the idea Freddie is some pariah parasite coming to ruin everything. He needs to see NHL action again before the playoffs. I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Campbell/Freddie then I do with Campbell/Rittich/Hutch.

Keefe isn't an idiot and I trust his opinion way more then the HF think tank. He will make the right call who will start.

Also, Freddie has been there all season, him and Matthews are very close he is in no way a disruption to the room, anyone with that notion please snap back to reality.

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Freddy should be the back up. Ride the horse that got you there. Give Anderson some ice before the playoffs. If the leafs go up by 3 games in the first round give Freddy a start to give Campbell a rest. With a condensed schedule Campbell will need whatever rest he can get should they make a deep playoff run

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad