Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Ok, I think we can all agree that there's no chance he starts Game 1.... But is he on the bench or press box and what is the expectation throughout the playoffs? Is there a chance he shuts it down for the year?

Not the best showing in 1.5 AHL games coming off a long layoff. Don't want to read too much into the limited minutes but he didn't seem comfortable out there. Will he play against Ottawa or Winnipeg?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
You're kidding yourself if you don't think he's not #2. Justin Bourne just said on 590 Andersen is going to start games for the Leafs this week. They aren't doing that if he isn't #1 or 2.
I don't see him starting.
But he's either 1 or 2 or injured.

Anything else is people using feelings instead of thought.

Reactions: Jeypic

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Would like to see Freddie start the remaining games for us

What do we get out of it?

1. We get to see how Freddie does in NHL

2. If Freddie is not as effective the players' mental strength will be tested; i.e. well we gotta outscore opposition - this will be a good test and prep if this happens in the playoffs (even if Jack is in the net).

I just see a win-win scenario and I hope Keefe does this including giving Lily and Sandin more minutes

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Marlies D is garbage. Need to see him play one of the last 2 games with our team and structure.

Reactions: WillyNy

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Are there cap considerations for him to play one of the last 2? If not, he should definitely get a start.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Need to see him actually play with the Leafs - not the Marlies to determine. Then he'll either be #2 or 3 - probably 2

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I'd drop him in number 2 (if he plays one of the remaining 2 games- and half decent) + if he is a good sport for Campbell.

If he's being a mope on the bench; Rittich seems like a decent cheerleader.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Since the Marlies D sucks so bad, maybe we should give Woll a callup, he may be a lot better than his numbers indicate. Anyway Woll is young in the long range plans and he could use the experience.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
This is really a bit of a dicey situation with your starting and #1 goalie coming off a long-term injury and lots of uncertainty and if going with your backup goalie when the playoffs begin and deciding if this is really the best decision. Would really like to see Andersen get in a game or 2 to see where he really is at mentally and physically.

I can't imagine if Carey Price is ready to go, that Montreal will decide that going with Jake Allen is their best chance of winning.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’d like to see him in one of the final 2 games this week to make a determination.

+1. Preferably the first one as the last game will likely be 100% meaningless, OTT should be a much better test.

I don't see him starting.
But he's either 1 or 2 or injured.

Anything else is people using feelings instead of thought.

Either 1 or 2 - are you saying there's a chance he's our #1 goalie? If so, please explain your thought process.

I'd like to see him play this week but if I had to decide today, I choose Rittich as our #2. If Andersen plays, and plays really well then maybe I choose him. But the idea that some people still might think that maybe he should be our starter ahead of Campbell blows my mind. Hell, even the biggest idiots in the media are distancing themselves from that narrative. That's what I hear anyway, I don't follow the sports media much TBH.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Based on what I've seen this year, Hutchinson would be my 2. I thought he was better than Rittich. I wouldn't play Freddie unless he shows me something with the Marlies. I feel like there is a very slim chance of that.

My 2 remaining starts would go to Campbell and Hutchinson.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Fred next game, Campbell last game so he doesn’t sit too long. If Andersen shits the bed, then you go with Rittich come playoffs. It’s that simple.

Reactions: ponder and Lumberg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Are there cap considerations for him to play one of the last 2? If not, he should definitely get a start.
It beats me, but I think it would take a lot to squeeze him in under the cap for one game, let alone two.

Mind you, maybe they could do both.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Don't make the mistake of reading anything performance-wise into his two Marlies outings. This is a conditioning stint playing with a team and against opponents he's mostly completely unfamiliar with.

While obviously Freddie and the team would've love to see him post donuts, the real intention is to see how he feels during and after his appearances so they can answer the most relevant question: Is he ready to step into and play a full NHL game?

Reactions: Subway Schenn

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Don't make the mistake of reading anything performance-wise into his two Marlies outings. This is a conditioning stint playing with a team and against opponents he's mostly completely unfamiliar with.

While obviously Freddie and the team would've love to see him post donuts, the real intention is to see how he feels during and after his appearances so they can answer the most relevant question: Is he ready to step into and play a full NHL game?

Maybe, maybe not.

The few times in recent history where the Leafs have sent their starting goalie (or an established NHL goalie & former Leaf starter) to the AHL for a conditioning stint:

Jonas Gustavsson: GP 5, 3-1-1, 1.14 GAA, .955 SV%, 0 SO
Jonathan Bernier: GP 4, 3-0-1, 1.25 GAA, .948 SV%, 3 SO
Frederik Andersen: GP 2, 0-1-1, 3.77 GAA, .884 SV%, 0 SO

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Maybe, maybe not.

The few times in recent history where the Leafs have sent their starting goalie (or an established NHL goalie & former Leaf starter) to the AHL for a conditioning stint:

Jonas Gustavsson: GP 5, 3-1-1, 1.14 GAA, .955 SV%, 0 SO
Jonathan Bernier: GP 4, 3-0-1, 1.25 GAA, .948 SV%, 3 SO
Frederik Andersen: GP 2, 0-1-1, 3.77 GAA, .884 SV%, 0 SO
I thought Kev was pretty clear.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad