Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I understand Freddie has struggled for a while and we all love Jack. But can we stop with the idea Freddie is some pariah parasite coming to ruin everything. He needs to see NHL action again before the playoffs. I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable with Campbell/Freddie then I do with Campbell/Rittich/Hutch.

Keefe isn't an idiot and I trust his opinion way more then the HF think tank. He will make the right call who will start.

Also, Freddie has been there all season, him and Matthews are very close he is in no way a disruption to the room, anyone with that notion please snap back to reality.

Fans don't care if Joe doesn't see a minute of playoff time. Fans don't care if Matthews doesn't score a single goal. All fans care about is a Stanley Cup. This should never be about any single player. Even McDavid himself has tried to downplay his 100 points, he's being clear it's about wining for him. He wants a Cup, so do 15 other teams.

Suppose you are a sales manager and one of your long time employees, Sammy, gets sick and is off for a couple of months. Upon his return his replacement is told "Bill your numbers have been through the roof since replacing Sammy, so we are going to keep you on the sales floor. Don't worry, if you hit a wall, Sammy will be right there looking down from upstairs and he will come in and bail you out". Is that going to impact the sales rep or not?

Pariah isn't the right word. You use what has worked for you and avoid distractions, especially so close to the playoff. There must be no doubt in Campbells mind. He must not only be The Man, but, have his backup feel the same.

Now, if Freddie gets his one game and is told he is #3 and will be needed in case of an injury. That's fine. He's a few degrees removed from the ice while still remaining an encouraging part of the team.

I think it makes no sense to make him back up at this point. You risk ruining the flow of your red hot goalie, and then you will have two subpar netminders and a quick exit.

You aren't going to get this straight a line to the Final Four again. It still isn't going to be easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Dubas wasn't in charge when we traded for Andersen, So i doubt he's that invested in him if he's not performing to an acceptable level

If he continues to struggle I wouldn't be shocked if they use somebody else to back Campbell up

Hutchinson has been good this season and Rittich hasn't been good for us so I'd lean Hutch

Yep.

Mirtle has also flat out said there were concerns within the front office during the offseason about Andersen.

And while I won't blink if Andersen does indeed end up the backup come game 1 (and I also hope this will be the case), he's going to need to prove that he's 100% ready mentally and physically. It's definitely a situation where "what have you done for me lately" will carry the most weight

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
I don’t care about the past and present and future !
Which ever goalies and or players play the best and win for us , then that’s the goalies and or players who play ...
Make no mistake about it , the coaches feel the same way ...
So if it’s Fred ... cmon Fred
If it’s Soupy .... cmon Soupy
If it’s Dave and on and on
Even if it’s Grand Pierre !
Couldn’t care less about anything else
Just win baby !!!!!!!!!!!
Go Leafs go !
60 + years being a fan of the great Maple Leafs and I’m still Uber excited for the playoffs and the possibilities...

Last edited:

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Teeder and Keon. I saw Keon live. Wow, was he ever something. Incredible. Teeder, I never saw a glimpse of, but my gramps, who took me to my first live, NHL game, talked about him.

But now that I think about it, I don't know if Gramps even saw him. Was teeder ever televised.....

Anyways, for some reason, as Zeke can attest, I have always loved this phantom legend, teeder kennedy.

Freddy playing against Ottawa, man, what a ticket that would be at the ACC.

Great times for Leafnation.

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019
Teeder and Keon. I saw Keon live. Wow, was he ever something. Incredible. Teeder, I never saw a glimpse of, but my gramps, who took me to my first live, NHL game, talked about him.

But now that I think about it, I don't know if Gramps even saw him. Was teeder ever televised.....

Anyways, for some reason, as Zeke can attest, I have always loved this phantom legend, teeder kennedy.

onekennedytitle.gif
one_kennedy01.jpg
(November 15, 2002) -- "C'mon Teeder!" was the immortal cry from the stands of Maple Leaf Gardens during the 1940s and 50s, aimed at inspiring one of the great captains and competitors in Leaf history, Ted 'Teeder' Kennedy.
"My Christian name is Theodore," says Kennedy explaining the origin of the nickname, "but I came from a small town and boys names were either Bill or Jack or Joe. For the other players it was too much to pronounce my name so they abbreviated it. One of the local reporters heard them saying 'Teeder' so that's how it appeared in the newspaper and it spread from there. The only one who called me Theodore was my mother."
Although Kennedy wore the blue and white of the Maple Leafs during his entire career, he was originally set to play for Leaf rivals the Montreal Canadiens having been recruited as a teenager and sent to join the Montreal Royals at the age of 16. This was short lived, however, as Kennedy soon abandoned the city and returned home. When back in his hometown of Port Colbourne, Ontario, he joined the senior hockey team with no intention of returning to Montreal. A Canadians rep was sent down in an attempt to get Kennedy to sign a minor league contract, to no avail.
one_kennedy02.jpg
"For all the youth in most of Ontario," he relates, "Toronto was our team and the Maple Leaf players like Conacher, Primeau, Jackson, Clancy, and Hap Day were our heroes. It wasn't a bluff for more money, I simply had no intention of going to Montreal. It was a boyhood dream to play for Toronto."
Eventually Kennedy's rights were traded to Toronto in exchange for the rights to another outstanding junior prospect, Frank Eddolls, and Kennedy joined the Leafs.
By all counts, Conn Smythe's declaration that Kennedy was "the greatest competitor in hockey" was true. This feisty spirit can be traced back to his childhood. Growing up under two older brothers drove Kennedy to play with a fierce intensity merely to keep up with his siblings. Though he returns some of the credit for his tenacity to Smythe himself.
"We played for very intense people in those days," he says. "Conn Smythe who ran the Leafs organization and Hap Day who was the coach of the team when I arrived there devised the Leafs system which was particularly adhered to in the playoffs. We were meticulously trained - it was drilled into us. Day was insistent on doing it his way, leaving as little as possible to chance. Smythe provided a lot of inspiration too. He fought in the two world wars and he knew what inspired men, how to motivated them. That combined with Day and the class of an individual like Joe Primeau manifested into a very successful system and organization."
one_kennedy03.jpg
Teeder Kennedy is presented the 1955 Hart Trophy from NHL President Clarence Campbell
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
History bears out this claim. Under Smythe, Kennedy and the Leafs hoisted the Cup 5 times in Teeder's first 7 seasons, including 3 in a row from '47 to '49. During the final cup of the three-peat, Kennedy led the team as its Captain, inheriting the 'C' from a retired Syl Apps.
"I was highly honoured and what pleased me very much was how it came about," enthuses Kennedy. "We were in the dressing room after practice in the fall of '48 when Hap said 'since Syl is no longer with us we have to choose a new captain'. Then he put it out to the floor to take nominations verbally and put it to a vote. Turk Broada said 'I think Teeder should be our captain'. Day asked if there were any other nominations and no one else was put forward so they were all satisfied that I became their captain and that's the way it happened."
The Leafs won again in 1951 making it 4 in five years, although it could have been five straight if not for a controversial incident involving Kennedy and the legendary Gordie Howe in game one of the 1950 semi-finals verses Detroit which shifted momentum in the Red Wings favour.
one_kennedy04.jpg
Teeder Kennedy shakes the hand
of Queen Elizabeth II.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
"This has been told a lot through the years, but my version is the official version," he declares. "We were playing in Detroit in the first game of the playoffs and we'd beat them the past two years 4 games to none both times. I was carrying the puck up the boards and out of the corner of my eye I see Howe coming at me from the centre of the ice and he's going to hammer me. The referee has his hand raised to give Howe a penalty for charging or boarding when he made contact. When I stopped and pulled up, Howe tried to halt his own progress but instead hit the fence and gets knocked out cold. The trainer hops out to give him first aid says to me 'you dirty s.o.b., you butt ended him.' Which I couldn't have since the end of my stick was pointing towards the boards being a right hand shot going up the left side of the ice. Now Jack Adams who ran the Red Wing organization and who was a very high strung man started to rant and rave about me injuring Howe. But I wasn't even given a penalty and I was officially exonerated, I never had to appear before the president of the NHL at all. Joe Klukay said later about the incident 'when have you heard of a guy carrying the puck committing a penalty?' We lost that series in 7 games on a couple of very fluky goals from the point. That series with the Red Wings was only the semi finals, but the Rangers who made it to the finals that year were a very mediocre team. If we had won that series, we probably would have been the first team to win 5 in a row."
In 1955, after tallying a solid 10 goals and 42 assists, Kennedy was named the Hart Trophy winner as the league's most valuable player, in essence an acknowledgement of a career, rather than a season. Following his retirement from hockey in 1957, Kennedy spent a year coaching Junior A in Peterborough before entering the business world for the next decade. This was abandoned when Ted devoted his full attention to his life-long interest in horses beginning with the opening of his own thoroughbred training center in the late 60s.
"I had a quarter mile indoor track and a half-mile outdoor track with 36 stalls that I operated for 9 years. Then I went to work for the Ontario Racing Commission as a steward or judge for 11 years. I left the ORC for the Ontario Jockey Club as head of security at Fort Erie Racetrack before retiring. I've been a horse racing fan since I was about 9 years old as my hometown of Port Colbourne is only 14 miles from Fort Erie and even during my hockey career I raised horses for the market over the years. I've just always been involved with horses."
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

enough said ;)

Teeder Keon

Mar 11, 2019

spacer.gif
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
onekeontitle.gif
one_keon01.jpg
(April 15, 2002) -- Many people who have been writing about hockey and the Toronto Maple Leafs feel that Dave Keon is the greatest player ever to wear the Blue and White. He was a little bit of everything. Check that--he was a lot of everything. He could score goals; he was a superb passer; he was one of the best checkers of his day; he killed penalties and played the power play; he performed in the playoffs; he led as captain; he made it into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Keon was a graduate of St. Mike's in Toronto in 1960, the most successful high school in hockey history. "That was one of the best times of my life," Keon recalled with fondness. "I wouldn't trade those years for anything. I was growing up, learning to play, living away from home, going to school. A combination of so many things." Those were the glory years of the team, and today St. Mike's is now experiencing a renaissance. "When I'm up in Toronto, I'll watch. I know they eliminated North Bay. They went through some tough times with some kids in the program, but it seems they've turned it around."
one_keon02.jpg
Dave Keon with Maple Leaf Trainer
Joe Sgro sewing on the 'C'.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
The St. Mike's dressing room couldn't have been more different than the Leafs' room at Maple Leaf Gardens. "They were two different places because there were two different purposes," Keon noted. "At St. Mike's, we were learning the game. You're trying to improve your skills. In the other case, it's a business."
Leafs' coach and GM Punch Imlach made it his business to have a certain kind of dressing room, and although some players loved Punch and others hated him, Keon isn't sure what the fuss is all about. "I got along fairly well with him. I guess you're aware that not everyone does, but I think it's the same with every team. Some players get along with the coach--others don't."
one_keon03.jpg
Whatever the case, Imlach won Stanley Cups, and that's the point of the game, at least at the NHL level. In his Leafs career, Keon scored 20 goals eleven times. He played in eight All-Star Games and captained the team for seven seasons. Foster Hewitt used to call him "Mister Perpetual Motion" because he never stopped skating, and his was acknowledged to be the best backhand in the game. "Most kids today slap the puck," he offered. "The backhand takes time to learn. It's not something you do naturally. But it is an effective shot."
Keon left the Leafs to go to the WHA in 1975, came back to the NHL with Hartford in 1979, and was bestowed upon him a great honour on his first trip back to the Gardens with another team.
one_keon04.jpg
None other than Conn Smythe searched him out in the visitors' dressing room, the first time the Leafs' owner and creator ever entered the opponents' sanctuary. "He came down to see me," Keon remembers. "Don Blackburn was the coach and he said, 'there's someone to see you.' This was before the game and I asked him to tell the person to wait until after. Don said that this was someone you'd want to see now. He came in and said hello, and then wanted to know where "the other guy" was, meaning, of course, Gordie [Howe]."
After retiring in 1982, Keon moved to Florida to work in the real estate business. He last laced on his skates a couple of years ago when he was coaching a Squirt team in Florida. Other than that, he's been all business. He attended the Hockey Hall of Fame Induction in 2000, and fans can only hope he becomes involved in the game again. One of the greatest Leafs to play and one of the most popular players as well.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
enough said ;)
I love our great young talent ....
But after reading about these two Leaf Legends ..
Can we please hold off on the greatest Leaf players ever after 2-4 seasons and no playoff wins and no cups , please !

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
WOW. That is some great stuff tk. Thanks. I want to say. Shanahan, Babs, Dubas, Lou, and now Keefer, have set a really nice stage here.

Stuff hopefully of legend, but if not, stuff of some great intrigue, talent, etc....

I am not as Cup hungry as I was.

Really cool management, coupled with a cool strong coach and talented players. Well, its a team that is going to do things.

I didn't get that at all for fifteen years.

Was a tough fifteen years, surprised some of the older guys haven't started a, how did those years of futility, shape my life...

It was tough on me, gotta tell ya.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
I just had a thought after posting some stuff in the Matthews goal scoring thread.
Freddie started to decline pretty much with the last NHL goalie equipment shrinkage, at least I'm pretty sure it was 2018. If I'm wrong on any of this please let me know.
If so the issue might be his style of play is no longer as effective as he cannot cover as much of the net as before.
This would also mean unless he can tweak his game he may never play at that level again

Reactions: LeafsRus

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
The hate towards Freddy is kinda disgusting. Dude was a workhorse and got ridden to the bone by this team over the last few years.

Just because you love Jack doesn't mean you need to hate Freddy.

Honestly the drama is a bit ridiculous.

I think many of us are just tired of Freddy underachieving and often looking and sounding super-nonchalant about his mediocre play. It's why Campbell has been such a breath of fresh air.

Freddy had 4+ years and never got the job done.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
At least it bring some intrigue to the 26th Battle of Ontario this year while we wait for the playoffs.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Anyone know how they fit Anderson under the salary cap?

I was coming here to ask just that. I was expecting him to not be activated until the regular season ended. Is it because his cap is only prorated for 2 games?

Prorating hasn’t been a thing for us since we went into LTIR just before the TDL. When you’re in LTIR you have a fixed cap.

Andersen was activated by placing Hyman on LTIR. He’s been out for a few weeks now after a knee on knee with Edler.

With Hyman, Bogosian, Nash and Sabourin on LTIR, that gives us just enough to activate Andersen and carry a 22 man roster (7D, 3G).

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I have great respect for all of our goalies. Freddie has given us great games and moments in his career. But the results speak for themselves. If Campbell can lead us to our first playoff series win since God knows when, then he has earned the #1 role and keeps it until he disqualifies himself. IF that happens. the other 3 goalies can make their argument as to if they deserve to start.

Again, I dont care who is in net. I just want the Leafs to win the Cup. Campbell has made a convincing argument he deserves to be our #1. Let's give him a chance and if he cant seal the deal, let Freddie play and prove whether he can redeem himself.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Prorating hasn’t been a thing for us since we went into LTIR just before the TDL. When you’re in LTIR you have a fixed cap.

Andersen was activated by placing Hyman on LTIR. He’s been out for a few weeks now after a knee on knee with Edler.

With Hyman, Bogosian, Nash and Sabourin on LTIR, that gives us just enough to activate Andersen and carry a 22 man roster (7D, 3G).

Thanks. Dubas seems to really know how to work the cap in his favor. As an opposing fan I have to give him his due as he makes things happen in spite of being up against or near the cap.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
The right move is to make him the #2, but not the backup.

Meaning, Campbell plays, Rittich is on the bench. Andersen in press box. But if Campbell goes down, Andersen becomes #1 and Rittich stays on the bench.

Reactions: Mats13

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
The hate towards Freddy is kinda disgusting. Dude was a workhorse and got ridden to the bone by this team over the last few years.

Just because you love Jack doesn't mean you need to hate Freddy.

Honestly the drama is a bit ridiculous.

For the last time, no one hates him.

He’s just not a good goalie and we don’t want him to cost the team in the playoffs. Let him have his game today and then that’s it.

The only ones being dramatic are the Freddy fans who can’t let go of their attachment to the player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->