Speculation: The Freddy Thread: #2 or #3 to start the playoffs?

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Wall of drivel.

Now, if Freddie gets his one game and is told he is #3 and will be needed in case of an injury. That's fine. He's a few degrees removed from the ice while still remaining an encouraging part of the team.

Zero chance Freddie goes to #3 if you want or expect that you are setting up for disappointment.

Campbell should start hes earned it and Freddie should be eased in as much as possible. But no way Keefe will put Rittich or Hutch over a healthy Freddie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Zero chance Freddie goes to #3 if you want or expect that you are setting up for disappointment.

Campbell should start hes earned it and Freddie should be eased in as much as possible. But no way Keefe will put Rittich or Hutch over a healthy Freddie

So even if Freddie looks rusty as hell and looks nowhere near ready to compete at a high level, you don't even consider playing Rittich instead because ... ??

Sorry but you're not making much sense here. Andersen has nowhere near the track record and reputation that you just play him no matter how bad he looks.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
So even if Freddie looks rusty as hell and looks nowhere near ready to compete at a high level, you don't even consider playing Rittich instead because ... ??

Sorry but you're not making much sense here. Andersen has nowhere near the track record and reputation that you just play him no matter how bad he looks.

I also said I trust keefe to make the right choice. I am arguing against the idea that Freddie is automatically crap and a detriment to the team without seeing him play and shouldn't be back outside of injury reserve. If he's crap then keefe will make the call.

Until 2 months ago this was our starter and now he's being treated like some ECHL scrub who can't possibly be good after 2 months off.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I also said I trust keefe to make the right choice. I am arguing against the idea that Freddie is automatically crap and a detriment to the team without seeing him play and shouldn't be back outside of injury reserve. If he's crap then keefe will make the call.

Until 2 months ago this was our starter and now he's being treated like some ECHL scrub who can't possibly be good after 2 months off.

Problem is this: Freddie has not been good in a while. Fred .897 save %, Jack .920. I have defended Fred in the past, but he has been sub par and the numbers show it.

Reactions: The Cobra

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I agree with the bolded. I don't agree with that you said earlier: "no way Keefe will put Rittich or Hutch over a healthy Freddie"

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Problem is this: Freddie has not been good in a while. Fred .897 save %, Jack .920. I have defended Fred in the past, but he has been sub par and the numbers show it.

And I also said Campbell should start.

The thing people can't seem to wrap their heads around is Keefe isn't going to treat Freddie as some replaced cast off as much as people want him to. Freddie is our top paid goalie and starter for the last 4 years.

Jack earned being the guy with his play this season. But the idea Freddie will just be swept under the rug in favor of Hutch or "Big save dave" as the back up is just dumb imo

People don't have to agree but just makes no sense to me other then people have a hate on for Freddie and just want him gone so they view him as trash but I guarantee the organization disagrees I will eat whatever crow if I'm wrong.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If he's ready, confident in his game, etc. he has to be the #2. It's one thing to lose his starting gig to Campbell - no one can argue it wasn't warranted, but exactly what has Rittich done (in his very brief time as a Leaf) to suggest he'd be better than Freddy?

If nothing else, Andersen has more experience with this roster and that's not a small thing. He also has the motivation of putting some shine on his record as a pending UFA. So I'd say he's plenty motivated if he's called upon at some point in the playoffs.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
And I also said Campbell should start.

The thing people can't seem to wrap their heads around is Keefe isn't going to treat Freddie as some replaced cast off as much as people want him to. Freddie is our top paid goalie and starter for the last 4 years.

Jack earned being the guy with his play this season. But the idea Freddie will just be swept under the rug in favor of Hutch or "Big save dave" as the back up is just dumb imo

People don't have to agree but just makes no sense to me other then people have a hate on for Freddie and just want him gone so they view him as trash but I guarantee the organization disagrees I will eat whatever crow if I'm wrong.

They certainly don't view him as trash, but it seemed like they wanted to go in another direction the past off-season but couldn't find a (good enough) replacement. For me, I don't like or dislike Andersen, I've just seen enough of him getting out-played by the opposition's goalie(s) in most games/series. And enough of the back-breaking soft goals

Spargon

May 31, 2019
I agree with the bolded. I don't agree with that you said earlier: "no way Keefe will put Rittich or Hutch over a healthy Freddie"

Thats fine we don't have to agree.

I much more inclined to believe the organization is looking at this as a blessing our number 1 goalie is healthy for the playoffs. If Freddie is given the shot and blows it thats on him 100% but Dubas and Keefe aren't going to be sitting there after the 2 AHL games thinking "nope Freddie lost it hes crap better keep him out" Freddie will get a chance to show what he's got whether people here like it or not heh. Hopefully not over Campbell I will disagree if he's the game 1 starter

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Thats fine we don't have to agree.

I much more inclined to believe the organization is looking at this as a blessing our number 1 goalie is healthy for the playoffs. If Freddie is given the shot and blows it thats on him 100% but Dubas and Keefe aren't going to be sitting there after the 2 AHL games thinking "nope Freddie lost it hes crap better keep him out" Freddie will get a chance to show what he's got whether people here like it or not heh. Hopefully not over Campbell I will disagree if he's the game 1 starter

Sure, agree to disagree that's fine. It's not that Freddie's crap, it's that it's not a given that he's a better choice than Rittich at this point, simple as that. There's a good bit of distance between being crap and being a starting calibre NHL goalie, it doesn't have to be an either or type of situation and Freddie's probably somewhere between those two in limbo land. We have a good idea of what Rittich is at least, not sure we can say the same for Freddie.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
I just hope Mr Andersen doesn't throw a 35-save shutout tonight, which convinces everyone he is ready to assume the reins again, and then let one in from the parking lot 90 seconds into game 1.....
He could have a 47 save shutout. He ain’t getting game 1. He probably ain’t getting game 2 even if Campbell has >.900. We might see him game 3 if Campbell has >.900. It’s campbells net to lose, not Andersen’s to win

horner

May 22, 2007
Jack is ready to lead us.
I think Jack had a chat with the goalie coach or Keefe , look Jack you aren't going to stop everything .
Since his little rut he gives up a goal but doesn't get down on himself .

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
lETS put it this way, anything that is cool with Jack Campbell, with his obscene win versus loss ratio, whatever is cool with Jack.

Hey, its more than fine with me.

If he wants Freddy involved, well, it might be a part of why Frederick is playing tonight.

Sheldon Keefe is waaaay cool and tuff.

It would not surprise me in the slightest if he asked Jack, who should play the last two games.

Think about that. Its very jack like, and its why this team is such a team.

bodechek

Oct 10, 2017
Freddy will be backing up Campbell. If Campbell has a tough game, I can see Freddy come in to relieve Campbell, but I would expect Campbell to start again the next game. As for those who say Campbell has no playoff experience and shouldn't start, the same thing can be said of Felix Potvin back in 1993. Experience be damned, you have to go with the goalie that can give you the best chance and right now it is Campbell. Freddy hasn't played that much in almost two months. Expecting him to be game ready with two games left before playoffs is not fair to the player.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Pending tonights outcome, Freddy becomes #2. Campbell starts the playoffs with an outside chance of splitting the starts with Freddy in the 1st round. Keeping both healthy and fresh is ideal for the Leafs to be successful this playoffs. Healthy competition, pushing one another is best for both of them.

And ultimately best for the Leafs organization.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I'm surprised there are fans who watch this team that think Anderson is getting a game in the playoffs after just coming back from injury, having almost zero game-time, and performing at his worst level over the past 2 years.

Campbell is our starter and will not be pulled after 1 bad game. If there are 2-3 poor games then yes I can see us trying one of the backups, but there is no guarantee that Anderson gets the backup roll right now. Hopefully, he posts a shutout tonight with many top saves, but he's more likely to let in 4+ goals given his game and where he is in his recovery.

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Has anyone here played goaltender anywhere. I did, at a street, scrub level, but hey, I kind of loved it, but hell yeah, you have to have all your sensors going, everything going, or its going to be a lousy day.

I don't know who coined the phrase voodoo, but to me, its as apt, as anything I have heard.

Confidence for an athlete, pretty big part of the overall.

Freddy, might just love the no crowd. Who knows. I think Jack campbell knows.

When Jack retires. He will write his own ticket for goalie coach.

Been so crazy to be an obsessed leaf fan. It would NOT surprise me in the least, if Freddy lets in ten, OR, scores a shut out. Its all part of being a Leaf fan, we have seen it all.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

I don't think he has been good for 2 years

Reactions: Menzinger

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I just hope Mr Andersen doesn't throw a 35-save shutout tonight, which convinces everyone he is ready to assume the reins again, and then let one in from the parking lot 90 seconds into game 1.....
Leafs have a mindset to win tonight as is evident from the interviews post practice. I worry a lop sided loss with freddy gets into their heads from a confidence perspective.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Pending tonights outcome, Freddy becomes #2. Campbell starts the playoffs with an outside chance of splitting the starts with Freddy in the 1st round. Keeping both healthy and fresh is ideal for the Leafs to be successful this playoffs. Healthy competition, pushing one another is best for both of them.

And ultimately best for the Leafs organization.
And then there's Freddy not sucking or being a suck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad