The Fourth 2019-20 Utica Comets Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
The time to look at Kielly was months ago, not at crunch time. You, like any of the rest of us here have been just as quick to realize when a guy doesn't have it. Will 3 or 4 losses by Kielly, while giving him that look see only to discover it was the wrong move, be worth it with the schedule so loaded and the race so tight?

Bachie's family has been totally uprooted to go to Sweden. They have made a HOME in Utica. The family as a whole loves it here. His kids have established friends, school, and classmates here, not in Sweden. To a kid, and one who worked with them for decades knows, the most difficult thing for them to adjust to is a total upheaval of their lives and the move to Sweden defines that upheaval. The return to Utica would be a welcoming relief for the kids. Right now they have only been gone a couple weeks, kinda like a vacation.

Putting all that aside, I agree Bachie might be a risk, but in the two games he played this season he was not a bad goalie. I know it is a small sample, tiny in fact, but he put up a .909 SAV% compared to McIntyre's .894. McIntyre had fallen well off the pace and that's why Mikey was given the reins. Mikey has also credited the help he got from Bachman until he left and has since given Mac credit for his help. The kid really needs that steady vet guidance and that won't come from a rookie put under the microscope like Kielly will be. Jake will be looking to Mikey for guidance!

Like you said, Kielly is a short jaunt away and if Bachman were to **** the bed, he could be here overnight. If the same happens to Kielly, the time it would take to get Bachie back here and whipped into game readiness could be too late for the Comets' final outcome.

As to the Vancouver Comets family in Kalamazoo, that would make a lot more sense if the players acquired to play there had some semblance of AHL ability, which they don't. Signing guys like Saucerman and Hensick, who were both available and we all know both wanted to play here, was a much wiser alternative.

I sat with Saucerman's agent for an entire game and all the Sauceman wanted was an AHL contract. He would have been much more helpful to the Comets the last few weeks than Teves and Petgrave. The center crisis would have been much easier to deal with having Hensick available in the wings rather than Justin Taylor and the force feeding of center to Bancks. TJ told the press in public on video that he hoped something could be worked out to get a contract here for the following season the last time he was here. Come on UH you know every guy that plays here loves it here, LOL! The difficult foster children Johnson signed are not good fits to any AHL/NHL family. Hell, they traded the only one who looked like he might actually have some potential in Sadowy without ever having given him a look. Johnson is the worst adoptive/foster parent ever.

The irony of the Sadowy trade was that he was injured at the time of the trade and has not played a minute for Worcester.

Agree to disagree on this one.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
BG, I know you have strong feelings about Saucerman and Hensick but if they're so good why has no AHL team given them any ice-time this season?

It also seems to me that you focus only on what the Comets are doing wrong while ignoring the mistakes that other AHL teams make with regards to signings, roster choices, coaching, etc. You'd probably have a better feeling about the team if you looked outside of it to see that the grass isn't always greener.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Could say that the Comets were unlikely not to win in regulation since Baertschi was openly tripped when he was getting in uncontested to the open net. However, maybe also have been lucky to win at all given the way they were totally hemmed in by the Americans in the first couple of periods. Comets were terrible getting out of their own zone as Rochester repeatedly knocked down passes and knocked the puck off sticks. Was a triumph just to get the puck to the neutral zone where again the Comets, time after time, lost the puck. Got better in the third but no way they deserved a lead heading into the third

Line of Baertschi, Camper and Boucher was only group able to produce anything like offense. Bailey put in a few good rushes but was doing every thing on his own.

Goldobin and Jasek made continuous turnovers in every zone. Goldobin can just appear so brain dead for long periods.

Thought LeBlanc again looked ok at forward and looks as good, or probably better, up there as people like Stevenson and Bancks.

None of defense were all that good although Rafferty, per usual, showed very good stick handling, shooting and passing skills. Now has the single season points record for Comet defensemen and would seem clearly the next call up. Brisebois did a good job of breaking up plays around his net but like others had trouble moving the puck. Joulevi was a little better and less prone to the big gaffe. You do wonder if he can just get himself through this year and become an adequate AHL player whether he can build on that and start making himself a bigger factor in games.

Lind took a nasty hit which appeared to be a head shot by McWilliams. Somehow a penalty wasn't called (and the game was horribly officiated) and sadly there was no response from the Comets.

Should add that DePietro had another good game and was no doubt the main reason Utica won. Looked unbeatable in the shoot out and made at least two outstanding saves in in OT

Last edited:

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Wrote about the game last night, here: 2/26/2020 – Utica Comets vs. Rochester Americans

Pros:
  • Sven Baertschi still playing like an NHL'er in a lower-tier. Excellent vision in the offensive zone. He's on the ice for a gross number of shot-attempts against, but its forgivable given what he can create out of nothing.
  • Brogan Rafferty/Guillaume Brisebois pairing was solid, good puck movement (when the Comets successfully did move the puck) and defensive ability displayed by both. Brise had two stellar moments where he broke up some lightning fast two-on-one's from Rochester, led by Casey Mittelstadt
  • Olli Juolevi - had a quiet game which is a compliment in this case given how badly the Comets were pinned into their own end through much of the 60-minute affair -- Blew me away with his one backcheck. Overall a really impressive outing from him after a couple games away with injury. We heard around his draft that he was a notorious slow-starter who turned things up in the back-half of the season. Would do wonders to his stock if he could have more repeat performances like last nights

• Di Pietro kept them in it throughout... Should have never been in overtime or the shootout after that brutal non-call on Baertschi, but such is hockey.
  • LeBlanc and Malone were great practically every shift until the third period when the Comets collapsed trying to protect the lead -- not really a condemnation of the fourth-line, but they got pinned into their zone several shifts late in the second/early in the third and were practically unused in the final 10 minutes of the game

Cons:

• Blujus/Chatfield pairing were dreadful
  • Comets defending the rush is laughable -- just standing still and hope they can intercept a pass on the cycle to disrupt the shot-attempt...no one takes on the body, and mostly they spend their defending time in the zone chasing or dropping to a knee to block shots only. There's toughness in blocking shots, but as we saw on the game-tying goal with 30 seconds left, it resulted in a poor bounce that Di PIetro ad no chance seeing or saving. For a team with a former defenceman as a coach, it blows me away that the system they have for defending in their end is so rudimentary and basic, verging on "not a system but just hope that things eventually work out."

Last edited:

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Wrote about the game last night, here: 2/26/2020 – Utica Comets vs. Rochester Americans

Pros:
  • Sven Baertschi still playing like an NHL'er in a lower-tier. Excellent vision in the offensive zone. He's on the ice for a gross number of shot-attempts against, but its forgivable given what he can create out of nothing.
  • Brogan Rafferty/Guillaume Brisebois pairing was solid, good puck movement (when the Comets successfully did move the puck) and defensive ability displayed by both. Brise had two stellar moments where he broke up some lightning fast two-on-one's from Rochester, led by Casey Mittelstadt
  • Olli Juolevi - had a quiet game which is a compliment in this case given how badly the Comets were pinned into their own end through much of the 60-minute affair -- Blew me away with his one backcheck. Overall a really impressive outing from him after a couple games away with injury. We heard around his draft that he was a notorious slow-starter who turned things up in the back-half of the season. Would do wonders to his stock if he could have more repeat performances like last nights

• Di Pietro kept them in it throughout... Should have never been in overtime or the shootout after that brutal non-call on Baertschi, but such is hockey.
  • LeBlanc and Malone were great practically every shift until the third period when the Comets collapsed trying to protect the lead -- not really a condemnation of the fourth-line, but they got pinned into their zone several shifts late in the second/early in the third and were practically unused in the final 10 minutes of the game

Cons:

• Comets defending the rush is laughable -- just standing still and hope they can intercept a pass on the cycle to disrupt the shot-attempt...no one takes on the body, and mostly they spend their defending time in the zone chasing or dropping to a knee to block shots only. There's toughness in blocking shots, but as we saw on the game-tying goal with 30 seconds left, it resulted in a poor bounce that Di PIetro ad no chance seeing or saving. For a team with a former defenceman as a coach, it blows me away that the system they have for defending in their end is so rudimentary and basic, verging on "not a system but just hope that things eventually work out."

Coach is teaching Green's defensive system that we see in Vancouver

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Out of necessity, both of the Canucks' 'goalies of the future' are being thrown into the fire at the same time. They're going to have to carry their teams' playoff hopes down the stretch.

If nothing else, it'll be invaluable development and we'll soon see see if all the hype is justified. I think they're both talented enough and capable.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Pros:

Cons:

Comets defending the rush is laughable -- just standing still and hope they can intercept a pass on the cycle to disrupt the shot-attempt...no one takes on the body, and mostly they spend their defending time in the zone chasing or dropping to a knee to block shots only. There's toughness in blocking shots, but as we saw on the game-tying goal with 30 seconds left, it resulted in a poor bounce that Di PIetro ad no chance seeing or saving. For a team with a former defenceman as a coach, it blows me away that the system they have for defending in their end is so rudimentary and basic, verging on "not a system but just hope that things eventually work out."

I have explained this in detail, complained about while posting game play by play as the games progressed on AHL/TV, and been brain drained as to how a career D-man coupled with a guy who runs the defense can put a team on the ice with as you say "not a system but just hope that things eventually work out." Thus, in various ways I have been posting on this very issue all season long right through the 8-0 streak to start the season to nearly my last post. I haven't even watched a high school team with this level of lack of attention to a defensive scheme. it carries from the D-men right on out to every forward. There isn't even a defensive duo combined with a single forward 3-some that can be deployed in their own end that you can count on for a solid defensive effort.

Baertschi/Camper/Boucher (or whomever centers that duo) can be expected to be on the ice for goals against. They were out there for both of them last night. They have to outscore their opponent because their goals against will be the difference if they don't.

Their lack of physicality is appalling. I don't mean hard body checking. I mean getting in front of the puck carrier and denying him space by getting into his body and forcing him wide and eventually into losing the puck. The clip you showed of Jasek having the chance to do just that (6th bullet in the first period), but instead poking his stick at the guy who then blew by him for a dangerous scoring chance. This is the way all the forwards defend.

Your shot charts were the most illuminating factual pieces of evidence that have been provided about the way the Comets surrender quality scoring chance after quality scoring chance. The most critical aspect of their game is the play of their goalies. They have to have more than just good goal tending. It has to be lights out every single game and the record shows that it just can't be that over the top every single game. If they had actually been playing the kind of defense that any semblance of a coach instills in his team, this outfit, in spite of it's lack of centers and the weakness that comes from such a young defensive corps, would be contending for the top spot in the North Division instead of trying to hang onto a playoff position.

Orcatown's post just above yours concurs with our thoughts on the poor defensive play.

Seems like some readers just don't want to hear about the facts of the games and how they are played. After all that is all we are doing, relating what the team and it's individual players are doing during their 60 minutes of ice time every game. It's not our fault that it doesn't include large numbers of platitudes and descriptions of sterling play. The game's play from the opening face off to the final horn gets related as it occurs. This is the most frustrating team I have ever hooked my wagon to. They do so many things that are just not examples of good play.

Then Baertschi or Goldobin will dazzle you with an outstanding play that produces a goal. Mikey will stand on his head many times more than any keeper should be asked to do. Juolevi or Blujus will dangerously sacrifice themselves to painfully block a shot. Boucher will rip one of his patented one timers from his office. Jasek will finally connect on one of his many ill fated cross ice passes and Lind or Bailey will finish it off. Rafferty in spite of several terrible passes in his own zone will finally hit someone with a long stretch pass and it turns into a goal. Sautner or Brisebois will finally put one of their scores of shots at the goal finally on net and lead to a rebound goal or a rarely seen goal for one of them. Thus, in spite of being badly outshot, hemmed in their own zone for large parts of every period, turnover after turnover, penalty after penalty (they have spent much of the season as the most penalized team in the AHL), surrendered SHGs (#1 in the AHL), they come out on top. Other times all of the negatives just can't be overcome.

I fear the lack of sound systems will be their downfall.

Last edited:

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
This franchise needs a new system and if not new head coaches, maybe some new assistants. I'd get rid of Cull at the end of the season regardless of if they scrape into the playoffs. There seems to have been some under the radar discord between him and some players from what the Utica folks have mentioned in passing. I am worried though that changing the head coach is simply not enough they need to change the system and that is based on the one used in Vancouver. I like Green for his man-management and motivational skills, but I'll be annoyed if he doesn't change his system a bit for next season if he's back.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but Comets and Canucks seem to playing the same way....it's a high-wire act out there most of the time. Dazzling offensive plays that lead to goals and at times a frightening and laughable series of breakdowns that lead to goals against.

Most nights, DiPietro and Markstrom have been the only beacons standing in way of disaster on the scoreboard. It's fun to watch, but sometimes can be maddeningly frustrating. Can only assume both coaches will have a case of ulcers before their seasons come to an end.

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019
Don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but Comets and Canucks seem to playing the same way....it's a high-wire act out there most of the time. Dazzling offensive plays that lead to goals and at times a frightening and laughable series of breakdowns that lead to goals against.

Most nights, DiPietro and Markstrom have been the only beacons standing in way of disaster on the scoreboard. It's fun to watch, but sometimes can be maddeningly frustrating. Can only assume both coaches will have a case of ulcers before their seasons come to an end.

The forward groups move up ice like they're always on three-on-two rushes. but they aren't.... which is why, when they get dispossessed of the puck, it immediately turns into an odd-man rush for thei opponents because the three forwards are at the goal line turning for a backcheck while the two D scramble to defend the rush.

The Comets look most dangerous when they establish a cycle around the perimeter before space is found for a shot.

The run and gun style leads to exciting back-and-forth hockey, but it throws Di Pietro into the deep end on a nightly basis which is, great experience, BUT, also a disaster waiting to happen every night

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

Forward lines and D pairs, also per Ben:

Sven Baertschi - Carter Camper - Reid Boucher
Justin Bailey - Wacey Hamilton - Kole Lind
Nikolay Goldobin - John Stevens - Francis Perron
Jonah Gadjovich - Seamus Malone - Dyson Stevenson

Dylan Blujus - Jalen Chatfield
Guillaume Brisebois - Ashton Sautner
Olli Juolevi - Brogan Rafferty

Michael DiPietro
Jake Kielly

Healthy scratches: D Matt Petgrave, D Stefan Leblanc

Injuries/illness: F Tyler Graovac, F Lukas Jasek, F Carter Bancks, F Vincent Arseneau, F David Pope

sting101

Feb 8, 2012

It's not a secret that the Canuck organization is committing to playing hockey in an aggressive offensive push type of style. For the people that don't like it i suggest you may want to be careful at what you wish for because if not you may get a Tortorella or young Alain Vigneault pulling everyone back to defend the house and the neutral zone which may look better structually but is incredibly boring and the players dont enjoy it much either.

As long as there is enough buy in and coaching that they can do it for stretches when they need to i wouldn't be overly concerned about it. It does seem to be an issue in Utica more than Vancouver though....could be all the inexperience

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
2nd of the game and 30th of the season for Boucher! Baertschi gets the lone assist.

3-0 Comets!

Now a PP for the good guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad