OT: The Football Thread

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I like your strategy but having the Jets pick a TE sends chills down my spine.

Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp ring a bell?

Lol, the only thing Pitts and Brady have in common is a first name. Otherwise, Pitts is in a different stratosphere. Kyle Pitts could be the next great TE and difference maker like Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, etc. But you only take him if you trade down far enough, where he is the clear BPA.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Lol, the only thing Pitts and Brady have in common is a first name. Otherwise, Pitts is in a different stratosphere. Kyle Pitts could be the next great TE and difference maker like Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, etc. But you only take him if you trade down far enough, where he is the clear BPA.

No matter how good a TE prospect is, they never have a big impact in their rookie seasons. The really good ones tend to break out in their 2nd or 3rd years, but investing in the position with a top-10 pick is typically bad value off the bat.

Also, WR's no longer seem to carry the crazy value they used to either. If you look at the top 30 WR's in production in recent years then only like a couple were top picks. Julio is still a beast, but who else is there?

The only positions I'd invest a top-5/10 pick in are a QB, a LT, a pass rusher, or a boundary CB. That's my list of premium positions because those are the highest paid positions in the NFL. Lawrence and Sewell fit as top picks, but there are no elite pass rushers (Von Miller/Chase Young types) or elite CB (Peterson types) at #2 this year.

The Jets have to hope one of the teams behind them get a raging boner for Zach Wilson to get proper value for the #2 pick. Sewell is special, but it's a good OT class in general so he's not a desperate need. Slater from NW is rising fast for example and the Jets already took Becton with a top pick last year. Sewell may be worth it, but picking consecutive LT's in the top-5 is not great when Becton looks like a player despite your worries about him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
No matter how good a TE prospect is, they never have a big impact in their rookie seasons. The really good ones tend to break out in their 2nd or 3rd years, but investing in the position with a top-10 pick is typically bad value off the bat.

Also, WR's no longer seem to carry the crazy value they used to either. If you look at the top 30 WR's in production in recent years then only like a couple were top picks. Julio is still a beast, but who else is there?

The only positions I'd invest a top-5/10 pick in are a QB, a LT, a pass rusher, or a boundary CB. That's my list of premium positions because those are the highest paid positions in the NFL. Lawrence and Sewell fit as top picks, but there are no elite pass rushers (Von Miller/Chase Young types) or elite CB (Peterson types) at #2 this year.

The Jets have to hope one of the teams behind them get a raging boner for Zach Wilson to get proper value for the #2 pick. Sewell is special, but it's a good OT class in general so he's not a desperate need. Slater from NW is rising fast for example and the Jets already took Becton with a top pick last year. Sewell may be worth it, but picking consecutive LT's in the top-5 is not great when Becton looks like a player despite your worries about him.

I think you completely missed the point of my various posts. I never said the Jets should use a top-5 or top-10 pick on a WR or TE. I have specifically said the following:

- They clearly need to decide if they want to build a dominant oline by taking Sewell at #2 and moving Becton to RT or trade down if the right value is there (and that is the big question). But if the draft capital isn't there, you take the best oline prospect since Ogden because he is the best player available and forget about it. Nobody ever regretted building a dominant oline.

- Trade down multiple times if possible and add more draft picks. There are teams that will probably want their pick of the second-tier QBs and/or maybe even a team (that is closer than the Jets) that desperately needs a WR like Chase.

- I personally wouldn't punt on Darnold, if the new coach thinks he can win with him, because you probably are not going to get back the return you want. Build the rest of the team, live with Darnold for now and make a more informed decision in a year or so.

- Then, if the Jets move back far enough, you can look into a player like Pitts, who is a unique weapon like a Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, etc. but that is ONLY if he is the clear BPA. I obviously wouldn't reach for Pitts. However, one thing Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, etc. all have in common is that they are dominant mismatches against opponents and have helped elevate their teams and their QBs. Pitts could be that type of player.

- And I am not saying the Jets select a WR in the top-5 but later in the second half of the first round AFTER they trade down some. Because in terms of on-field value of young WRs and their impact in recent years, I do not believe there has been a position impacted MORE than at WR by youth and skill.

Let's take a look at some of the recent first rounders -

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans and Odell Beckham made major impacts at WR while Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks have also been good to solid players for winning teams over the years;

2015 NFL Draft: Amari Cooper is a Pro Bowler and DeVante Parker is solid when healthy;

2016 NFL Draft: This draft had some bad first rounder WRs but Will Fuller has talent (needs to stay healthy) and Michael Thomas should have gone in the first round;

2017 NFL Draft: Corey Davis has been solid and finally been healthy enough to emerge this season, while Mike Williams is a good WR (with decent PFF grades) who might finally have a good, young QB to get him the ball;

2018 NFL Draft: DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley are terrific young WRs, I am a big fan of both of them;

2019 NFL Draft: Weak WR draft for early prospects; and

2020 NFL Draft: Looking loaded with Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Justin Jefferson (my favorite WR in this draft), Aiyuk and even Tee Higgins (another of my favorites going into the draft but prob underrated due to measurables) at the top of the second round.

The Jets definitely need more talent at WR, either in the draft or via free agency, it is up to the GM to just find the right value.

Reactions: PWJunior

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I think you completely missed the point of my various posts. I never said the Jets should use a top-5 or top-10 pick on a WR or TE. I have specifically said the following:

- They clearly need to decide if they want to build a dominant oline by taking Sewell at #2 and moving Becton to RT or trade down if the right value is there (and that is the big question). But if the draft capital isn't there, you take the best oline prospect since Ogden because he is the best player available and forget about it. Nobody ever regretted building a dominant oline.

- Trade down multiple times if possible and add more draft picks. There are teams that will probably want their pick of the second-tier QBs and/or maybe even a team (that is closer than the Jets) that desperately needs a WR like Chase.

- I personally wouldn't punt on Darnold, if the new coach thinks he can win with him, because you probably are not going to get back the return you want. Build the rest of the team, live with Darnold for now and make a more informed decision in a year or so.

- Then, if the Jets move back far enough, you can look into a player like Pitts, who is a unique weapon like a Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, etc. but that is ONLY if he is the clear BPA. I obviously wouldn't reach for Pitts. However, one thing Gronk, Kelce, Kittle, Andrews, etc. all have in common is that they are dominant mismatches against opponents and have helped elevate their teams and their QBs. Pitts could be that type of player.

- And I am not saying the Jets select a WR in the top-5 but later in the second half of the first round AFTER they trade down some. Because in terms of on-field value of young WRs and their impact in recent years, I do not believe there has been a position impacted MORE than at WR by youth and skill.

Let's take a look at some of the recent first rounders -

2014 NFL Draft: Mike Evans and Odell Beckham made major impacts at WR while Sammy Watkins and Brandin Cooks have also been good to solid players for winning teams over the years;

2015 NFL Draft: Amari Cooper is a Pro Bowler and DeVante Parker is solid when healthy;

2016 NFL Draft: This draft had some bad first rounder WRs but Will Fuller has talent (needs to stay healthy) and Michael Thomas should have gone in the first round;

2017 NFL Draft: Corey Davis has been solid and finally been healthy enough to emerge this season, while Mike Williams is a good WR (with decent PFF grades) who might finally have a good, young QB to get him the ball;

2018 NFL Draft: DJ Moore and Calvin Ridley are terrific young WRs, I am a big fan of both of them;

2019 NFL Draft: Weak WR draft for early prospects; and

2020 NFL Draft: Looking loaded with Ruggs, Jeudy, Lamb, Justin Jefferson (my favorite WR in this draft), Aiyuk and even Tee Higgins (another of my favorites going into the draft but prob underrated due to measurables) at the top of the second round.

The Jets definitely need more talent at WR, either in the draft or via free agency, it is up to the GM to just find the right value.

Ok, I think we're on the same page.

Full disclosure, I am a Broncos fan (idolized John Elway when I started following Football). I do follow the Jets more than the Giants though.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ok, I think we're on the same page.

Full disclosure, I am a Broncos fan (idolized John Elway when I started following Football). I do follow the Jets more than the Giants though.

As a Broncos fan, do you think they are going to delve into that second tier of QBs this season or wait another year?

I personally don't think Lock is the answer, but I could understand waiting another year to build up other areas of the team.

I really like the WRs the Broncos have put together in Sutton (if he can stay healthy), Jeudy, Patrick and Hamler (he probably just needs some refinement to his routes and to add some strength so he can stay on the field).

It is funny, I know Bolles took some time to develop, but I thought he was really coming on, so I was very surprised when the Broncos declined his fifth-year option. Then he really takes off and they are fortunate to extend him so he doesn't hit UFA or force them to use the franchise tag.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
As a Broncos fan, do you think they are going to delve into that second tier of QBs this season or wait another year?

I personally don't think Lock is the answer, but I could understand waiting another year to build up other areas of the team.

I really like the WRs the Broncos have put together in Sutton (if he can stay healthy), Jeudy, Patrick and Hamler (he probably just needs some refinement to his routes and to add some strength so he can stay on the field).

It is funny, I know Bolles took some time to develop, but I thought he was really coming on, so I was very surprised when the Broncos declined his fifth-year option. Then he really takes off and they are fortunate to extend him so he doesn't hit UFA or force them to use the franchise tag.

I think Lock should get another year. The offense is so young, one of the youngest in the NFL. I'm not completely sold, but he needs a real O-Line before making the final decision. Bolles used to get shit on hard, he worked his ass off and now he deserves his extension. Losing Sutton hurt bad, Lock had good chemistry with him. Fant looks good, but he is always nicked up and that annoys me. Jeudy has dropsies and Hamler is a bit brittle. Both are rookies so better days are ahead. With proper preseason time and reps, the offense could really take a leap next year because all the weapons are in place. The Broncos need a real RT and not Juwan James who is made of glass, especially his heart. Cushenberry needs to improve in his 2nd year. Glasgow is hurt and has disappointed as a UFA signing.

Injuries have destroyed the defense. Losing Von Miller was a killer. Chubb has rebounded from his ACL injury, but he needs that stud on the other side to be fully effective. The secondary is playing PS players right now, ravaged by injuries.

Elway can free up a lot of cap by cutting Bouye, Jackson, Jurrell Casey with almost no dead money. Shelby Harris needs to be re-signed, same with Justin Simmons.

We need to draft at least one CB and generally replenish the defense because Fangio knows defense. I would love Caleb Farley and wouldn't mind double dipping in the 2nd for another CB. Draft a RT in the 3rd and defensive depth in the later rounds.

I love Miller (my favorite player) so I hope he can restructure his deal in an extension. Mike Purcell's injury was a big blow too, he's a quality NT run stuffer and he was missed.

With health and organic growth on offense with an upgraded O-Line, Lock could be ok. The defense could rebound into a strong unit again with health and a talent infusion to the secondary. A strong defense with a nasty pass rush and talented secondary was what carried the 2015 Super Bowl squad so I kind of want to go back to that. The offense just needs to be middle road.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I think Lock should get another year. The offense is so young, one of the youngest in the NFL. I'm not completely sold, but he needs a real O-Line before making the final decision. Bolles used to get shit on hard, he worked his ass off and now he deserves his extension. Losing Sutton hurt bad, Lock had good chemistry with him. Fant looks good, but he is always nicked up and that annoys me. Jeudy has dropsies and Hamler is a bit brittle. Both are rookies so better days are ahead. With proper preseason time and reps, the offense could really take a leap next year because all the weapons are in place. The Broncos need a real RT and not Juwan James who is made of glass, especially his heart. Cushenberry needs to improve in his 2nd year. Glasgow is hurt and has disappointed as a UFA signing.

Injuries have destroyed the defense. Losing Von Miller was a killer. Chubb has rebounded from his ACL injury, but he needs that stud on the other side to be fully effective. The secondary is playing PS players right now, ravaged by injuries.

Elway can free up a lot of cap by cutting Bouye, Jackson, Jurrell Casey with almost no dead money. Shelby Harris needs to be re-signed, same with Justin Simmons.

We need to draft at least one CB and generally replenish the defense because Fangio knows defense. I would love Caleb Farley and wouldn't mind double dipping in the 2nd for another CB. Draft a RT in the 3rd and defensive depth in the later rounds.

I love Miller (my favorite player) so I hope he can restructure his deal in an extension. Mike Purcell's injury was a big blow too, he's a quality NT run stuffer and he was missed.

With health and organic growth on offense with an upgraded O-Line, Lock could be ok. The defense could rebound into a strong unit again with health and a talent infusion to the secondary. A strong defense with a nasty pass rush and talented secondary was what carried the 2015 Super Bowl squad so I kind of want to go back to that. The offense just needs to be middle road.

A buddy of mine is a big Dolphins and knowledgeable football fan, who repeatedly ripped on Ja'Wuan James and wondered about his desire and commitment beyond just wanting to get paid. James will definitely be a big question mark for next season, specifically if he has stayed in shape and what the layoff will do to him? The extended layoff is a big concern for a player like him.

I mostly focus on offensively players, due to keeper/dynasty FF leagues, but right now I am moderately hopeful of the incoming CB class. The NY Giants could use one more CB, opposite Bradberry, badly. Yiadom has filled the role for most of this season but, woof, he has had obscene fluctuations in his play. I am sure that does not come as a surprise to a Broncos fan though.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
A buddy of mine is a big Dolphins and knowledgeable football fan, who repeatedly ripped on Ja'Wuan James and wondered about his desire and commitment beyond just wanting to get paid. James will definitely be a big question mark for next season, specifically if he has stayed in shape and what the layoff will do to him? The extended layoff is a big concern for a player like him.

I mostly focus on offensively players, due to keeper/dynasty FF leagues, but right now I am moderately hopeful of the incoming CB class. The NY Giants could use one more CB, opposite Bradberry, badly. Yiadom has filled the role for most of this season but, woof, he has had obscene fluctuations in his play. I am sure that does not come as a surprise to a Broncos fan though.

Yiadom impressed the coaching staff at the Senior Bowl when the Broncos were one of the teams involved. He was drafted as a result and sucked for us. I chuckled when the Giants got him.

This CB class isn't stellar, but it isn't bad. Some people love Surtain II, but I just don't like Alabama CB's. Farley is a better athlete and I like him better. Derion Kendrick is the best athlete, but he recently switched to CB from WR so he is raw. This class does have good size generally, all the top guys are 6'+. I value CB's highly, you can never have enough. I do prefer pass rushers as my most desired defensive asset, but no one really excites me in this class. Rousseau is so raw, Paye reminds to too much of Rashan Gary (really short arms). Having Malik Reed (7.5 sacks) perform admirably for Von Miller, I like the depth on the edge assuming Miller returns.

I would love to get Farley and then possibly move up for Kendrick, I'd shit my pants. Kendrick is a physical freak and could be sick when developed and Farley is polished and ready to contribute from day 1. Ojemeudia has promise though so that trio would make me really happy.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Yiadom impressed the coaching staff at the Senior Bowl when the Broncos were one of the teams involved. He was drafted as a result and sucked for us. I chuckled when the Giants got him.

This CB class isn't stellar, but it isn't bad. Some people love Surtain II, but I just don't like Alabama CB's. Farley is a better athlete and I like him better. Derion Kendrick is the best athlete, but he recently switched to CB from WR so he is raw. This class does have good size generally, all the top guys are 6'+. I value CB's highly, you can never have enough. I do prefer pass rushers as my most desired defensive asset, but no one really excites me in this class. Rousseau is so raw, Paye reminds to too much of Rashan Gary (really short arms). Having Malik Reed (7.5 sacks) perform admirably for Von Miller, I like the depth on the edge assuming Miller returns.

I would love to get Farley and then possibly move up for Kendrick, I'd shit my pants. Kendrick is a physical freak and could be sick when developed and Farley is polished and ready to contribute from day 1. Ojemeudia has promise though so that trio would make me really happy.

I will say, Yiadom has been put in a terrible spot for the Giants, with Baker being an idiot in the offseason, Beal opting out (gutless bum after being hurt his entire career), Brandon Williams unable to get healthy and earn a spot, etc., so I don't blame him. He has probably done as much as can be expected but should be a depth guy at #5 CB or so.

People mocked Rashan Gary to the Giants and now are mocking Paye to the Giants. That makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I loathe those slow-developing Michigan guys who get hot for half a season but disappear in the pros. Although Gary did have a good game tonight. But that looks like a lot was due to the Titans cr@pping the bed.

Rousseau is an interesting player at edge, but probably not enough to burn a top-10 pick right now. Is he big enough? Will the talent catch up to his limited experience? I don't know.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I will say, Yiadom has been put in a terrible spot for the Giants, with Baker being an idiot in the offseason, Beal opting out (gutless bum after being hurt his entire career), Brandon Williams unable to get healthy and earn a spot, etc., so I don't blame him. He has probably done as much as can be expected but should be a depth guy at #5 CB or so.

People mocked Rashan Gary to the Giants and now are mocking Paye to the Giants. That makes me want to throw up in my mouth. I loathe those slow-developing Michigan guys who get hot for half a season but disappear in the pros. Although Gary did have a good game tonight. But that looks like a lot was due to the Titans cr@pping the bed.

Rousseau is an interesting player at edge, but probably not enough to burn a top-10 pick right now. Is he big enough? Will the talent catch up to his limited experience? I don't know.

Rousseau scares me. The other Miami #15 Jaelan Phillips had a really good year. He was a former #1 overall HS recruit who has battled injuries and finally flashed his ability. If the injuries are behind him, he could be a much better pro. 6'5 and 266 so pretty good size, but he'll need to bulk up to be a 3-4 DE.

What defense do the Giants run? 4-3 or 3-4?

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Rousseau scares me. The other Miami #15 Jaelan Phillips had a really good year. He was a former #1 overall HS recruit who has battled injuries and finally flashed his ability. If the injuries are behind him, he could be a much better pro. 6'5 and 266 so pretty good size, but he'll need to bulk up to be a 3-4 DE.

What defense do the Giants run? 4-3 or 3-4?

The short answer, a little bit of everything depending on the available personnel for any given game. Patrick Graham really mixes it up with a bunch of different looks, but plays a lot of zone (mostly due to blitzes not getting home) and tries to use his DBs to cover the clear LB shortfall.

If the Giants didn't lose two of their "best" Edge players in Lorenzo Carter and Oshane Ximines, I think they would try to consistently run more 3-4. (Important note: being the best Edge on the Giants is like being the tallest dwarf.)

As it stands now, the Giants strength is along the DL, with Leonard Williams, Dexter Lawrence, Dalvin Tomlinson and BJ Hill, so I think they run more 4-3 than Graham would prefer. But while that frees up MLB Blake Martinez to make plays, the DL tends to get worn down since they cannot substitute and the offense hangs them out to dry for stretches.

When they run a 3-4, outside of RILB Martinez, ROLB/DE Jabaal Sheard (who is really just a complimentary player on a good team) and maybe Carter Coughlin (a 7th round rookie) in LIMITED spots, the rest of the LBs are borderline atrocious to a complete dumpster fire.

Some people like Tae Crowder as a nickel LB, but I am not sure I see it. Graham also tries to work in players like Jabrill Peppers at LB to cover up the shortcomings, with modest success.

The scheming has been relatively effective against mediocre or one-dimensional teams (it really gave fits to the Seahawks and Bucs), but the Giants desperately need to upgrade at Edge and I would really like another LB (Parsons?) that can run sideline to sideline.

For whatever reason they keep trying to get David Mayo reps and he is trash. I think he is one of those players that instills confidence in the coaches, because he knows his assignments in practice, he just can't execute it in a game consistently. But the staff would rather get burned by physical limitations than mental errors by younger players.

The Giants have some players in the secondary, which helps, but they need that CB2. Graham seems to want to have "positionless" football players, which is a great idea in theory, but I think that is a bit of a cop out for players that don't excel at a specific skill/position.

In my opinion, it shouldn't take too much to get to the next level on defense, especially if they are drafting in the top-10, and the Giants should have cash to add a quality free agent or two, probably one player on each side of the ball.

They probably have to decide between either resigning Leonard Williams or Tomlinson, who are both free agents. I would sign Williams, let Tomlinson walk and use the money to add the best Edge or CB they can land in free agency.

Then maybe look to get the other player with their first or second round pick in the draft, unless they go LB as the BPA, bring in a placeholder and wait to fill that third hole or get lucky and uncover a surprise in the middle rounds of the draft.

Overall the defense has been a pleasant surprise, but a talent infusion is needed and resources need to be spread out a bit better.

Reactions: PWJunior

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
All hope is not lost Jets fans..

....if they move down with the Bengals, then they should try to leverage that spot to a team that either covets Jamarr Chase (Philly, Washington or the Giants?), as that team will probably need to get in front of the Dolphins selecting in Houston's spot, or to multiple teams that want their pick of the second tier of QB prospects (Carolina, Washington, maybe Atlanta or Detroit, the 49ers or even Denver).
Agreed.

If past history is any example, there will be 2 or more teams that fall in love with a QB other than Lawrence.

I'd add the Pats, Saints and Steelers to your list. I agree with Detroit on your list. I see the Lions trading Stafford and getting into the QB market. That would eliminate one of the other teams (?NE) but many are still in the hunt.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Agreed.

If past history is any example, there will be 2 or more teams that fall in love with a QB other than Lawrence.

I'd add the Pats, Saints and Steelers to your list. I agree with Detroit on your list. I see the Lions trading Stafford and getting into the QB market. That would eliminate one of the other teams (?NE) but many are still in the hunt.

I think someone falling in love with Zach Wilson would be best case scenario for the Jets. Only a QB will command a package worth it for the Jets to trade down and miss out on Sewell who is likely a lock to go #3 to Cincy.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Agreed.

I would have added the Patriots, who will almost assuredly be looking for a long-term solution at QB, but I assumed the Jets wouldn't trade with them, regardless of how many times they move down, lol.

Can you imagine trading with Bill, who then drafts a future HOF QB with the Jets pick and starts another run?

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
="danteipp, post: 174825652, member: 28315"]I would have added the Patriots, who will almost assuredly be looking for a long-term solution at QB, but I assumed the Jets wouldn't trade with them, regardless of how many times they move down, lol.

Can you imagine trading with Bill, who then drafts a future HOF QB with the Jets pick and starts another run?

I can absolutely imagine this happening because well, it's the Jets.

Darnold is simply not the guy. That needs to stop. He may be the guy somewhere else but it is curtains for him in NY.

I honestly HATE that stupid genius Sean McVay, the LA Rams and their horrid re-designed uniforms. They caused all of this uncertainty...[/QUOTE]

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
Craig Carton on WFAN saying multiple sources indicate Adam Gase has been told by Christopher Johnson that he will not be retained as HC in 2021. No word on if Gase is coaching Sunday, but Im assuming the timing is because of the one-time rule change allowing interviews of candidates to start now.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
I think someone falling in love with Zach Wilson would be best case scenario for the Jets. Only a QB will command a package worth it for the Jets to trade down and miss out on Sewell who is likely a lock to go #3 to Cincy.

Cincy is actually drafting 5th now, due to their win on Sunday. Miami, by way of Houston, picks #3.

Part of me would dread trading down and watching Miami take Sewell and have to face him 2x a year for the next decade, and would love to see a trade with Cincy (who would take Sewell Im sure), maybe the #2 overall for the #5, #36, and whatever else to even things out

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Cincy is actually drafting 5th now, due to their win on Sunday. Miami, by way of Houston, picks #3.

Part of me would dread trading down and watching Miami take Sewell and have to face him 2x a year for the next decade, and would love to see a trade with Cincy (who would take Sewell Im sure), maybe the #2 overall for the #5, #36, and whatever else to even things out
Maybe the Jets don't need someone to fall in love with a QB other than Lawrence.

It could be Sewell that someone wants to overpay for. If that's the case, the Jets are well positioned.

They'll still screw it up.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Ah, didn't realize. Wow, what a crap trade for Houston to give up the 3rd pick. Cincy or Miami, Sewell makes sense for either team to protect their young QB's.

Looking at the current draft order, it's not looking great for the Jets. Miami has Tua, Atlanta could take a QB yet they still have Ryan, Cincy has Burrow, Philly is stuck with Wentz and has Hurts, Detroit has Stafford, Giants have Jones. Atlanta and Detroit may not want to pay a ransom for Wilson or Fields.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Jets will go forward with Darnold and Sewell. They passed on Orlando Pace and ended up with James Farrior, I don't want to see that again. I think Darnold will come out of this stronger. Get him some receivers and work on the offense first. This is a three year rebuild.

Reactions: danteipp

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Jets will go forward with Darnold and Sewell. They passed on Orlando Pace and ended up with James Farrior, I don't want to see that again. I think Darnold will come out of this stronger. Get him some receivers and work on the offense first. This is a three year rebuild.

Sewell hasn't played RT since high school, are we going to move him? That's the issue.

If you move forward with Darnold, I think there needs to be an actual competition at QB and not someone like Flacco. Thinking more along the lines of Jameis. You kinda know what you get with him as well but let them have at the spot to see who takes it.

Then you supplement with FA's around them, a guy like Marlon Mack at RB (with Perine and Ty Johnson) and a Allen Robinson or Kenny Golladay on the outside.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I was listening to Anita Marks on ESPN radio earlier and she was talking about how the Jets will have the 2nd most cap space with only Mayes to re-sign. The Jets also have a lot of draft capital, I think the difference with the Giants equates to a #1 overall pick. The discussion was who was in the better position going forward, Jets or Giants.

Taking Sewell at #2 and building a mega O-Line is the simple yet likely smartest move. There are some decent weapons in place already, Mims looks pretty good. Put Darnold in the best position to succeed, the new coach is the most important move.

Use the rest of the picks to beef up the defense. With no uber defense prospects in the class, quantity over quality seems smart this year.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Use the rest of the picks to beef up the defense. With no uber defense prospects in the class, quantity over quality seems smart this year.

I can understand why you say this but I think we need to know if Darnold is the future. This year he had no talent and even the best chef can't make chicken stew out of chicken shit. In the past he had at least some talent and looked good at times. He never had a lot of time to throw though, and I'd like to see what he can do. I'd load up on offense.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Thinking more along the lines of Jameis. .

Interception machine who makes bad decisions. To have his numbers with so much talent makes me think he's not very bright.

To be honest, I'm not sure how bright Darnold is either. But we're committed to him for at least a while.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I can understand why you say this but I think we need to know if Darnold is the future. This year he had no talent and even the best chef can't make chicken stew out of chicken shit. In the past he had at least some talent and looked good at times. He never had a lot of time to throw though, and I'd like to see what he can do. I'd load up on offense.

Build the defense through the draft, use the cap space for the offense.

By drafting Sewell at #2, the tackle situation is the envy of the league and should upgrade the run and pass game. Darnold will be kept upright and he already has some good weapons. Sign Juju or Godwin or Allen Robinson II or Golladay or some other free agent WR. Sign Scherff to upgrade the interior line. Maybe draft a RB like Najee Harris with Seattle's 1st. Boom, offense done.

Use all the other picks on the defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad