OT: The Football Thread

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I can absolutely imagine this happening because well, it's the Jets.

Darnold is simply not the guy. That needs to stop. He may be the guy somewhere else but it is curtains for him in NY.

I honestly HATE that stupid genius Sean McVay, the LA Rams and their horrid re-designed uniforms. They caused all of this uncertainty...
[/QUOTE]

Well, if it wasn't the Rams, the Browns did the job with their disregard for the NFL's covid rules.

I still have a gut feeling that OBJ was somehow involved. It makes no sense that a middling LB like B.J. Goodson was hanging out with the entire WR core.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Cincy is actually drafting 5th now, due to their win on Sunday. Miami, by way of Houston, picks #3.

Part of me would dread trading down and watching Miami take Sewell and have to face him 2x a year for the next decade, and would love to see a trade with Cincy (who would take Sewell Im sure), maybe the #2 overall for the #5, #36, and whatever else to even things out

If I were the Jets, ideally I would try and get a bigger haul for #2 overall, from a team that falls in love with a specific QB prospect. That means multiple firsts.

Then, like you said, I approach the Bengals next and try to extract at least second rounder to move back with them if a team looking for a QB won't pay the price to move up.

However, in the end, I do whatever is necessary to add draft picks AND try to make sure the Dolphins do not end up with Sewell, even if it means settling for say just an extra 3rd and 4th rounder to move back a bit.

Of course, I would just take Sewell if the offers aren't there. You can ALWAYS trade a good, young tackle down the line.

Just look at what the Dolphins got from the Texans for Tunsil, who is probably an inferior player/prospect to Sewell or Becton.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ohio State just made Tony Elliott a ton of money. There are probably several athletic directors putting on hazmat suits and driving over to his house with blank checks right now.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I was hoping Darnold would end the season well but I think he has played himself off the team.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Ugh, the Giants with potentially yet another pyrrhic, late-season win if the Eagles can't beat Washington.

On the plus side, if they end up sliding into the mid-first round, the BPA might be a WR, which is a desperate need either via the draft or free agency.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ugh, the Giants with potentially yet another pyrrhic, late-season win if the Eagles can't beat Washington.

On the plus side, if they end up sliding into the mid-first round, the BPA might be a WR, which is a desperate need either via the draft or free agency.

they Need Devonta Smith or Chase if they go WR. I’d even say Pitts wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Evan Engram is directly responsible for about 5-6 INTs this year. He’s got so much talent but the guy is so frustrating. Makes some of the most amazing catches and then drops passes that are put right into his arms perfectly.

Reactions: danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
they Need Devonta Smith or Chase if they go WR. I’d even say Pitts wouldn’t be a bad choice.

Evan Engram is directly responsible for about 5-6 INTs this year. He’s got so much talent but the guy is so frustrating. Makes some of the most amazing catches and then drops passes that are put right into his arms perfectly.

I would be happy with Chase or Smith, although I am a little worried about Smith holding up in the NFL, given his slight build. But not enough to not draft him if he is the BPA.

Pitts would also be an interesting choice and, as a UF fan, I would welcome him. Plus it would mean an end to Evan "Stonehands" Engram, before he needs to get paid a contract he will probably fail to live up to with the Giants.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I would be happy with Chase or Smith, although I am a little worried about Smith holding up in the NFL, given his slight build. But not enough to not draft him if he is the BPA.

Pitts would also be an interesting choice and, as a UF fan, I would welcome him. Plus it would mean an end to Evan "Stonehands" Engram, before he needs to get paid a contract he will probably fail to live up to with the Giants.

I got a 26 year old Pro bowl TE that runs a 4.4 for sale!! Trade Engram for a 2nd or 3rd or whatever you can get. He’s so talented but way to inconsistent and accident prone. He hurts the team.

Reactions: ZMan17 and danteipp

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I got a 26 year old Pro bowl TE that runs a 4.4 for sale!! Trade Engram for a 2nd or 3rd or whatever you can get. He’s so talented but way to inconsistent and accident prone. He hurts the team.

Lol, from your lips to the football gods ears.

Depending on what happens in the offseason in terms of offensive talent imported, getting a second would be a steal for the Giants. Even a high third would probably be OK.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

My Broncos blew it and will be picking 9th at worst, 8th if Philly wins. They're not taking a WR so that at least helps your Giants, Jeudy with a massive bounce back game from last week. Lock gets season 3 to prove once and for all if he's a keeper. Hoping Caleb Farley is there at #9, we need a stud CB.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Wow, Doug Pederson and the Iggles showing why they can't win without Reich, who was clearly the brains behind the operation, especially offensively.

Bringing in Nate Sudfeld to tank takes a lot of balls. That is a JV move.

That said, while they protected their draft pick, it potentially helps the Giants build immensely.

The Giants should be able to nab a much-needed top WR, maybe Parsosn or that elusive CB2.

And the Skins probably can't get their QB of the future, without giving up a lot in trade.

I assume the Giants come out to bury Pederson next year.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
My Broncos blew it and will be picking 9th at worst, 8th if Philly wins. They're not taking a WR so that at least helps your Giants, Jeudy with a massive bounce back game from last week. Lock gets season 3 to prove once and for all if he's a keeper. Hoping Caleb Farley is there at #9, we need a stud CB.

Farley, Parsons isn't a bad consolation prize either or maybe you trade down and get a haul for a team desperate for a QB.

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Wow, Doug Pederson and the Iggles showing why they can't win without Reich, who was clearly the brains behind the operation, especially offensively.

Bringing in Nate Sudfeld to tank takes a lot of balls. That is a JV move.

That said, while they protected their draft pick, it potentially helps the Giants build immensely.

The Giants should be able to nab a much-needed top WR, maybe Parsosn or that elusive CB2.

And the Skins probably can't get their QB of the future, without giving up a lot in trade.

I assume the Giants come out to bury Pederson next year.
This was one of the most bush league things I have ever witnessed as a sports fan. It is one thing to rest players but to actually make play calls and in game lineup decisions to intentionally throw a game is despicable. That fourth quarter set back professional sportsmanship and integrity 100 years.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This was one of the most bush league things I have ever witnessed as a sports fan. It is one thing to rest players but to actually make play calls and in game lineup decisions to intentionally throw a game is despicable. That fourth quarter set back professional sportsmanship and integrity 100 years.

Agreed. If it was a legit QB prospect, I could kind of understand seeing what you have. But Nate Sudfeld is a terrible player who is not worth the look.

That said, while the Eagles protected their pick, staying at #6 vs. dropping to #9, they also moved the Giants from #19+ up to #11.

Long term, the Giants might be helped by this far more than the Eagles. This could very well allow the Giants to draft an impact player, one they would have otherwise missed out on.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
That's kind of a crazy take but after watching Darnold in the second half....I agree.

The second round pick pick they might've gotten for Darnold also just dropped to a third.

Jets best hope is for multiple QB retirements and that Shefters report that multiple teams would be interested in Sam is true - a bidding war of sorts could result in a second round pick.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Jets best hope is for multiple QB retirements and that Shefters report that multiple teams would be interested in Sam is true - a bidding war of sorts could result in a second round pick.

If the Jets definitely opt to move on from Darnold, either the Saints or 49ers would be perfect landing spots for him.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
That Eagles 4th quarter was a disgrace, and a thinly veiled tank job. Sudfield has been there 4 years. They know what they have in him, no need to “evaluate” for a quarter. This wasn’t a preseason game.

It might be a bloodbath in Philly this off season. So many putrid contracts and there is a lot of work to be done in terms of cuts and/or restructuring. It is amazing how fast that roster has degraded and Pederson looks lost without Reich around.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Anthony Lynn getting fired (although completely foreseeable) makes the coaching search that much harder for the Jets.

In order of appealing jobs:
1. Chargers
2. Texans
3. Jaguars
4. Jets
5. Falcons
6. Lions

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Add in the Bengals, Browns, Raiders, and Football Team and you have basically all the worst owners in the NFL.

Lol, that is exactly what I was thinking too. Although the Chargers job is very interesting. I am a big fan of the talent they have acquired, now they just need to find the right coach (Anthony Lynn was a nightmare), build up the oline and get some help in the secondary.

Of course they also need to find a way to keep Bosa on the field. To do that, they might want to find him a helmet that fits and also teach him to tackle properly. He seems like a player who got by for so long on sheer athleticism, without regard for form, so he abuses his body resulting in numerous unnecessary injuries.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If the Jets definitely opt to move on from Darnold, either the Saints or 49ers would be perfect landing spots for him.
The Colts and Stillers could be good landing spots for him as well. He'll need a real reset. Having a season behind an established vet would be a good breather for him. If all those guys play one more year, he'd still only be 25 when he is in line to take the reins. And those teams wouldn't have too much invested in him so they could move on if need be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad