OT: The Football Thread

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I am not a big fan of Fields. At least not enough to exchange Darnold for him with the #2 overall draft pick.

Barring a miracle where the Jets leapfrog the Jags again, the Jets need to hope someone absolutely loves Fields, so they can move down and stockpile draft picks, or just keep it simple and take Penei Sewell.

Sewell is a beast and would look great in a tandem with Becton. Add Sewell at LT, move Becton to RT and build a dominant offensive line.

Especially since I have my doubts that Becton can stay healthy or that his body type will age well. You can't have your LT getting nicked up and missing important games.

I am a Giants fan, so that is just my impartial take on what I would do. Ideally trade down but, if not, take the best LT prospect in recent memory, giving you the option to build a dominant oline or maybe trade one for a haul like the Dolphins got for Tunsil later on.

I completely agree about Fields and trading down.

Sewell is an outstanding prospect, but it's a pretty good OT class in general and I'd keep Becton at LT for now. The Jets could get a pretty good RT with their other 1st and build a strong O-Line that way. Investing consecutive top-5 picks on OT's is a bit overkill IMO. I think Cincy takes Sewell at #3 anyway so he won't be available if the Jets trade down.

It's too bad there is no elite pass rusher this year. Maybe grab Micah Parsons as a studly chess piece LB or put him on the edge. Or grab a top CB like Surtain or Farley. The Jets need to beef up the defense badly, the offense has promise already.

Douglas has a ton of cap space so he can fill needs that way too.

Not getting Lawrence though is such a shitburger though, damn.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
I completely agree about Fields and trading down.

Sewell is an outstanding prospect, but it's a pretty good OT class in general and I'd keep Becton at LT for now. The Jets could get a pretty good RT with their other 1st and build a strong O-Line that way. Investing consecutive top-5 picks on OT's is a bit overkill IMO. I think Cincy takes Sewell at #3 anyway so he won't be available if the Jets trade down.

It's too bad there is no elite pass rusher this year. Maybe grab Micah Parsons as a studly chess piece LB or put him on the edge. Or grab a top CB like Surtain or Farley. The Jets need to beef up the defense badly, the offense has promise already.

Douglas has a ton of cap space so he can fill needs that way too.

Not getting Lawrence though is such a shitburger though, damn.

If the Jets don't land Lawrence, that is definitely a big loss, however, ultimately the Jets need to find the right coach. If you don't have a good coach, you don't have anything in the NFL.

Gregory Rousseau is an interesting Edge prospect, however, he does seem a bit immature (beyond just the opt out). It will be interesting to see how he interviews. He also feels like a future Dallas Cowboy to me, if they are in position to select him.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
This is brutal.

Don't like Fields, you already have the established LT in Becton so selecting Sewell at #2 move him to his non-college position at RT. There are no standout CB's or EDGE worth it to take that high although that is what the Jets desperately need. Perhaps you take Ja'Marr Chase at #2? I don't even know...

Fields playing like crap down the stretch decreases the value of #2 in a trade as well.

Brutal, just brutal.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
This is brutal.

Don't like Fields, you already have the established LT in Becton so selecting Sewell at #2 move him to his non-college position at RT. There are no standout CB's or EDGE worth it to take that high although that is what the Jets desperately need. Perhaps you take Ja'Marr Chase at #2? I don't even know...

Fields playing like crap down the stretch decreases the value of #2 in a trade as well.

Brutal, just brutal.

It really is. Without Lawrence to sell to a potential new head coach, tha attractiveness of the job is considerably less as well.

This draft class is Lawrence and everyone else. There is no dominant pass rusher or even a top flight CB at the top like in other years. The value of #1WR's has been diminished too and the Jets aren't in dire need of one either.

I'm not even a Jets fan and I feel the pain for their fans.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It really is. Without Lawrence to sell to a potential new head coach, tha attractiveness of the job is considerably less as well.

This draft class is Lawrence and everyone else. There is no dominant pass rusher or even a top flight CB at the top like in other years.

I'm not even a Jets fan and I feel the pain for their fans.

What makes it worse is that I thought there was a chance they would blow it to the Raiders (almost did) and then there was the potential of Belichickian dark magic the last game of the year against the Pats. If the Jets had won either of those two games I at least could've justified it by saying "well I saw that coming."

This was completely out of nowhere. 9-4 Rams with an "elite" defense and offensive "genius" Sean McVay...I hate their guts. It's not the Jets fault for playing hard and getting a win, it's the stupid Rams fault for laying an egg.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Oh the Jets. They literally cannot do anything right. This is Uwe Krupp all over again.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
What makes it worse is that I thought there was a chance they would blow it to the Raiders (almost did) and then there was the potential of Belichickian dark magic the last game of the year against the Pats. If the Jets had won either of those two games I at least could've justified it by saying "well I saw that coming."

This was completely out of nowhere. 9-4 Rams with an "elite" defense and offensive "genius" Sean McVay...I hate their guts. It's not the Jets fault for playing hard and getting a win, it's the stupid Rams fault for laying an egg.

Sad to say it's never "completely out of nowhere" with it the Jets.

When you're sure they'll lose, somehow they win.

If George Costanza were a degenerate gambler and it was the Opposite Day Seinfeld episode then he would've make a lot of $ betting Jets' games.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
This is brutal.

Brutal, just brutal.

I am going to try and talk you off the ledge, lol.

While it definitely sucks to miss out on Lawrence, Sewell is potentially a generational LT like Orlando Pace, Jon Ogden or Walter Jones. Those players don't come along often and you usually have to pay big money for one, so getting a franchise LT on a rookie contract is almost as good as having a QB on a rookie deal.

The Jets either leverage the threat of taking him, to force the Bengals to give up a draft pick or two and swap spots (because Sewell is the guy the Bengals must get to protect Burrow), or you just take Sewell and move Becton to RT.

I honestly believe Becton would be better suited to RT, it decreases the reliance on him if he keeps getting banged up and George Fant is a borderline average tackle. It would be a big upgrade at two spots and create a dominant oline.

The Jets should be able to trade down with the Bengals and pick up a mid rounder at minimum, then they can keep trading down with teams that need QBs like the Panthers, 49ers, Bears, Broncos, etc. The Jets should be able to move down multiple times and accumulate draft picks, if they are smart.

Again, it stinks to maybe miss out on Lawrence, but this is a deep QB class that can be leveraged to add draft picks, the team directly behind the Jets is almost forced to invest in Sewell if they get the chance, and it is loaded with WRs and DBs the Jets can add with extra picks.

The Jets have options. And this is coming from an impartial Giants fan.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I can definitely see this happening.

The Jags unexpectedly win their last game.

The Jets then beat the Pat's and still miss out on #1 OA.

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island
9B800AFC-9EE3-4C87-8807-2150837442FE.png

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
Nothing every surprises me as a life long Jet fan.. that is unless that surprise would be something good happening. whether it be starting a season 10-1 only to have Paul McGuire saying on the pregame show that they would not win another game that regular season and be right, or Peyton Manning all but a lock when we had the #1 pick and just signed Parcell's only to stay in school. The list goes on and on and on. I love the Jets but best thing I ever did was give up those season tickets and buy Isles seasons.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
BYU vs. UCF in the Boca Raton Bowl on ESPN. Zach Wilson on BYU for those interested in him.

Arm looked good and accurate but then again it was a banged up UCF. Still not hyped on taking him at #2, would love to at the very least trade down to #3 and get some Cincy picks for the move.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Jets are going to face the Browns without 4/5ths of their WRs. Between Chubb, Hunt, Gore, etc., tomorrow's game might set the record for the most rushing plays in a modern NFL game.

The minute I heard the Browns were going to have a bunch of positives and close contacts out, I had a gut feeling at least two of them would be Landry and Higgins.

With MLB BJ Goodson seemingly the source (former Giants player), I am just waiting for them to uncover that they were all hanging out with Odell this last week.

That will be the ultimate kick in the crotch, the Browns finally on the verge of making the playoffs, only for a guy out for the year potentially taking down the team.

It will be interesting to see who is the ultimate underlying source.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Baker Mayfield walking around the sidelines with the top part of his mask barely above his upper lip.

This from the supposed leader of a team that is currently dealing with a mini COVID outbreak in their locker room. :dunno:

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Jets need to trade down and hope someone falls in love with Zach Wilson so they get a haul for him.

Completely rebuild the defense now that they are essentially forced to build around Darnold.

Not sold on building around Darnold. Darnold needs a new contract and QB's never come cheap even if they suck. Guys like Dalton were getting record breaking contracts by the teams that drafted them.

Whoever they hire as the next head coach they need to allow to choose their next QB. While I am not crazy about keeping Darnold I think if the next coach comes in and says "I have a system that will work for Darnold/Wilson/Fields/Lance" you need to go with that guy. This is what happened with Arizona and why they moved on from Rosen so quickly.

Wilson looks to have a lot of raw talent and reminds me of how people spoke about Josh Allen. Of course, Allen was surrounded by so much talent.

I don't want a QB getting taken for the sake of one getting taken, but if the head coach feels they have an offensive scheme that will work for whatever QB is in the draft you take them. They could always sign a vet as well. Trading out of Darnold allowed the Colts to get where they are today.

*These are a lot of random thoughts, which is how I am assuming the Jets GM Joe Douglas feels right about now.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The Jets need to trade down and hope someone falls in love with Zach Wilson so they get a haul for him.

Completely rebuild the defense now that they are essentially forced to build around Darnold.

We have to trust Douglas.

Assuming they can get value by trading down, I can only hope that he loves a player currently projected in the 5-10 spot.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
All hope is not lost Jets fans, the Jets still control the draft board at #2.

They can either grab the best OT prospect since Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden or extort additional draft picks and trade down with the Bengals, who almost have to pay the price (maybe an additional second rounder or two thirds) to land Penei Sewell and protect their franchise QB.

And, if they move down with the Bengals, then they should try to leverage that spot to a team that either covets Jamarr Chase (Philly, Washington or the Giants?), as that team will probably need to get in front of the Dolphins selecting in Houston's spot, or to multiple teams that want their pick of the second tier of QB prospects (Carolina, Washington, maybe Atlanta or Detroit, the 49ers or even Denver).

The Jets should be able to land additional draft picks AND still come away with a top-10/15 talent to help their team now. They should be able to get help along the d-line, a CB, WR or a game-breaking TE like Kyle Pitts, who can probably help Darnold more than just about any offensive weapon outside of Chase.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
All hope is not lost Jets fans, the Jets still control the draft board at #2.

They can either grab the best OT prospect since Hall of Famer Jonathan Ogden or extort additional draft picks and trade down with the Bengals, who almost have to pay the price (maybe an additional second rounder or two thirds) to land Penei Sewell and protect their franchise QB.

And, if they move down with the Bengals, then they should try to leverage that spot to a team that either covets Jamarr Chase (Philly, Washington or the Giants?), as that team will probably need to get in front of the Dolphins selecting in Houston's spot, or to multiple teams that want their pick of the second tier of QB prospects (Carolina, Washington, maybe Atlanta or Detroit, the 49ers or even Denver).

The Jets should be able to land additional draft picks AND still come away with a top-10/15 talent to help their team now. They should be able to get help along the d-line, a CB, WR or a game-breaking TE like Kyle Pitts, who can probably help Darnold more than just about any offensive weapon outside of Chase.
I like your strategy but having the Jets pick a TE sends chills down my spine.

Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp ring a bell?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad