OT: The Football ( real football :P ) Thread

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
Praise from who? The blind? He was god awful in all phases of management
you can read about it from fifa, marca, english press, and l'equipe. young team hit a wall against a team starting a defense of the most expensive cb in the world, a big arsenal buy this summer, and a starter for man city. the berhalter hate is idiotic.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Absolutely not. The team limped through qualifying and were finally trounced (as they should've been against England). Couldn't beat an outmanned Wales. It was bad. Really bad. The Berhalter pearl-clutching is idiotic.

Last edited:
Reactions: vodeni

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Disappointing result last night. US completely dominated play, but their transitional defense was poor

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
vlatko is an abomination. garbage team construction, garbage reliance on average veterans. naehers positioing on the goal was inexcusable and has been an obvious issue for years. andi sullivan is not an effective 6 and never has been one while other players have clearly surpassed her without getting a chance until it was too late and we are stuck with another middling player in a key position. the attack was completely out of gas and the guy sat on his hands despite having one of the fastest attackers in the world on the bench and one of the most in form strikers. just maddening, sheer idiocy.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
vlatko is an abomination. garbage team construction, garbage reliance on average veterans. naehers positioing on the goal was inexcusable and has been an obvious issue for years. andi sullivan is not an effective 6 and never has been one while other players have clearly surpassed her without getting a chance until it was too late and we are stuck with another middling player in a key position. the attack was completely out of gas and the guy sat on his hands despite having one of the fastest attackers in the world on the bench and one of the most in form strikers. just maddening, sheer idiocy.

Not to excuse him, but I think Raponie is still recovering from injury and I think he's trying to play the long game and manage her minutes. But still, I was surprised at the minimal subbing

Agree their defensive game in the box is a travesty. Blows me away that at this level there are so many gaps and unmarked players. I think they know they're weak so the strategy is to score a bunch then hold on. But if you only score 1 goal, you're on very thin margins

A more patient attack like France or Japan is going to slice them up

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
to be clear i think rapinoe is more a locker room leader and the subs were lynn williams for alex morgan and alyssa thompson for trinity

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
they dominated the second half, but certainly not the first.
check out the match momentum chart on fotmob - the dutch scored on their first dangerous moment (low xg chance where the keeper blew their positioning) and mainly had a lot of possession outside of dangerous parts of the field in the first half while the usa had more sustained pressure throughout the half. the dutch actually had more sustained pressure at points in the second half when the usa was out of gas due to the idiot manager not using his bench.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
the pass maps say it all - there is absolutely no gameplan and the manager is completely incompetent.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
the pass maps say it all - there is absolutely no gameplan and the manager is completely incompetent.

He'll rightfully be criticized if they fall to Sweden. He took some risks with his roster selection..he'll need to answer for those decisions if they don't pay off.
They definitely should look elsewhere if they lose Sunday

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Yeah, I don't think this team is gonna get close to the finals. Just something not there.

I could see them easily losing to SWE without Lavelle.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
i would normally emphatically agree but lavelle was legitimately terrible last night. they need more ballwinners and cant afford rose and horan i dont think unless they try another center back and move ertz back to defensive midfield.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
i would normally emphatically agree but lavelle was legitimately terrible last night. they need more ballwinners and cant afford rose and horan i dont think unless they try another center back and move ertz back to defensive midfield.

I mean, from what I've seen of the game, the whole team was terrible.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
its a horribly constructed roster with very little in terms of tactical gameplan. recipe for disaster and a waste of a ton of talent.

Reactions: Pens1566

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Better from the US. Have been for the most part the better team. Far cry from what we’re used to seeing though. Have no confidence they can find a goal. Sophia Smith has turned in an all time atrocious performance. Please sub - for anyone.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Better from the US. Have been for the most part the better team. Far cry from what we’re used to seeing though. Have no confidence they can find a goal. Sophia Smith has turned in an all time atrocious performance. Please sub - for anyone.

Morgan was awful too. Not that Rapinoe helped when they subbed her in either.

Best "game" they've played all tourney though. Shame it was one where they had the most/best chances and just got stoned only for the other team to pull it out in the end. Some of those penalties were terrible.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The way Rapinoe went out was poetic. Will not miss her and her comments at all.

Yea seems like she should have been more focused on her PK's vs what hair color she was going to rock each game.

This supposed offensive juggernaut scored 4 goals in 4 games (3 of those coming in 1 match). Pathetic showing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad