Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
qatar-world-cup.gif

giphy.gif

8bc10f90edb9a3f84c6f10b03a3892dd.gif

world-cup-goals-online-2.gif

Biggest tournament in the world. Deserves its own thread. Please keep the Qatar politics out of it.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Managed to watch the Senegal/Netherlands game today. Senegal deserved better. Netherlands were way too cute with the ball and it almost cost them the win.

Nice to see Iran get rag dolled today. England might be the team to beat with the injuries to France.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Watched the US game today and wonder why I bother with this sport sometimes.

Both teams so conservative even in possession as counterattacks are the only pieces of danger. Then all the time wasting and injuries in the 2nd half.

I was a little bit disappointed in Aaronson who was fine but didn't make an impact when coming on. The LB Robinson is a burner and they are going to generate a lot of offense through him.
Wales' dynamic totally changed when they brought on the big man Moore. They were so much more dangerous aerially. The US generated very little through all their crosses.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia

Both teams so conservative even in possession as counterattacks are the only pieces of danger. Then all the time wasting and injuries in the 2nd half.

I was a little bit disappointed in Aaronson who was fine but didn't make an impact when coming on. The LB Robinson is a burner and they are going to generate a lot of offense through him.
Wales' dynamic totally changed when they brought on the big man Moore. They were so much more dangerous aerially. The US generated very little through all their crosses.
We goofed by not watching England :laugh:

Reactions: Zirakzigil

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Managed to watch the Senegal/Netherlands game today. Senegal deserved better. Netherlands were way too cute with the ball and it almost cost them the win.

Nice to see Iran get rag dolled today. England might be the team to beat with the injuries to France.
AB's World Cup 2022 Bracket.png

Took Brazil cuz I love their lineup this year. Tough call though. Argentina are on a 36 game unbeaten streak. They're probably gonna ruin my Poles 😱
Nice to see the South American teams pushing again.

Unrelated but I been meaning to ask, since some time has passed.
Is it smooth sailing with your vision now? Any issues still?

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
View attachment 611208

Took Brazil cuz I love their lineup this year. Tough call though. Argentina are on a 36 game unbeaten streak. They're probably gonna ruin my Poles 😱

First of all, shame on you for not picking Canada in the final 16. :P

mushu-mulan.gif

I love Germany and German football, but they are such a mess right now. I will be happy if they make it to the final 16, I dont think they will make it to the final 4. France I had winning it. But with their latest injuries I dont think they can repeat. I think its Englands to lose at the moment, which sucks cause usually Im cheering against them. Brazil I will never cheer for with Neymar being there. Boo that team! Just like I want Portugal to get their teeth kicked in because of Ronaldo.

Still healing. Its a slower process with PRK. Final results can take up to 6-8months. My near sightedness has started to sharpen up. Halos have gotten bad at night, especially at night when Im tired after work. But I was told to expect that. That should get better eventually. Thanks for asking.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
First of all, shame on you for not picking Canada in the final 16. :P

mushu-mulan.gif

I love Germany and German football, but they are such a mess right now. I will be happy if they make it to the final 16, I dont think they will make it to the final 4. France I had winning it. But with their latest injuries I dont think they can repeat. I think its Englands to lose at the moment, which sucks cause usually Im cheering against them. Brazil I will never cheer for with Neymar being there. Boo that team! Just like I want Portugal to get their teeth kicked in because of Ronaldo.

Still healing. Its a slower process with PRK. Final results can take up to 6-8months. My near sightedness has started to sharpen up. Halos have gotten bad at night, especially at night when Im tired after work. But I was told to expect that. That should get better eventually. Thanks for asking.
I kinda feel the same with Germany, but I took some risks to try and make things more interesting. When it comes to single elimination games, anything can happen. Their mentality in big games is among the best I've seen from national teams in my life.
And I do think they're gonna make it through the group, although that's no certainty with Japan and Spain there.

Ah so it was PRK and not Lasik. Just read up about it a little. Didn't know jack.
I trust that it was the right decision for you long term. I'm glad things are improving.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I kinda feel the same with Germany, but I took some risks to try and make things more interesting. When it comes to single elimination games, anything can happen. Their mentality in big games is among the best I've seen from national teams in my life.
And I do think they're gonna make it through the group, although that's no certainty with Japan and Spain there.

Ah so it was PRK and not Lasik. Just read up about it a little. Didn't know jack.
I trust that it was the right decision for you long term. I'm glad things are improving.
I just dont think Germany has the horses or the team chemistry to do squat this tournament. I am still pissed how they melted in 2018. We shall see though. Spain doesnt worry me and neither does Japan. I think that group is a complete toss up Germany should do well, but they could also choke, neither would surprise me. I just dont see them advancing to the final 8 if they do make it out of group.

I didnt want lasik unless thats what the surgeon suggested. He suggested PRK, happened to be one of the best PRK surgeons in the world actually. Possible scarring issues on my eye that would need touch ups outweighed the possible flap issues with lasik. I also would have needed to reinforce my cornea for lasik, I was right on the edge for what the minimum recommendation is.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
View attachment 611208

You took Switzerland over portugal? Damn

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Yeah they are overachievers historically. Took out France at Euros.
Felt like taking a risk somewhere.

1669115008673.png

I didnt want lasik unless thats what the surgeon suggested. He suggested PRK, happened to be one of the best PRK surgeons in the world actually. Possible scarring issues on my eye that would need touch ups outweighed the possible flap issues with lasik. I also would have needed to reinforce my cornea for lasik, I was right on the edge for what the minimum recommendation is.
Sounds like you went about it the right way then.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I hope Portugal gets curb stomped and doesnt make it out of group. They deserve it for having that smug arrogant wanker Ronaldo on the team.

Just finished watching England vs Iran. Clinical offense by the English, some real sloppy defensive breakdowns by them. Not sure how much of it was bad play or them just being too goal happy once they got up by 3.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
This is the first time ever in my life that I missed watching a game (s) at the World Cup. I just watched bits and pieces of US game, not watching today either. I used to live for this tournament and scheduled my life around it. I even scheduled my shifts going to the front line to watch f***ing 1994 tournament. Yet now the whole f***ing football world looks so awful, from playes, owners, FIFA, etc,...and my standards are pretty darn low...Dunno...I'll probably watch some of it but the magic is gone...and you'all are wrong about Germany...They will win it all unless Messi finally gets lucky and win five 1-0 games...

Well thats just embarrassing there Argentina.
wait..waht I just bet on Messi

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
@vodeni I can't decide if this is good for my Poles or not. You're a WC expert.
On one hand, Argentina won't rest regulars against them in the 3rd match, as often happens if a team comes in with 6 points for the final match. They also didn't damage Saudi's goal differential.
On the other hand, a team that was likely to lock 1st up is possibly leaving it open.

What's the verdict? Good or bad?

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
@vodeni I can't decide if this is good for my Poles or not. You're a WC expert.
On one hand, Argentina won't rest regulars against them in the 3rd match, as often happens if a team comes in with 6 points for the final match. They also didn't damage Saudi's goal differential.
On the other hand, a team that was likely to lock 1st up is possibly leaving it open.

What's the verdict? Good or bad?
I am afraid bad. Good news is Mexico stinks, so anything can happen. They only qualified because Russia was banned, although they did beat Sweden. And they have the best player on the pitch by a mile...so with Argentina stinking up the joint there are legit chances to move on...bbut thats about it

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Yeah I just think the execution of the crosses was poor for the most party. McKennie excels in the air so it’s not like they don’t have someone capable of taking advantage of them.

Tyler Adams was incredible.

Yesterday was a pretty disappointing result, especially due to the absolute brain dead foul from Zimmerman. I get it was Bale but you just don’t foul someone in the box when their back is to the goal.

This CB pairing against England could be tough to watch.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
I am afraid bad. Good news is Mexico stinks, so anything can happen. They only qualified because Russia was banned, although they did beat Sweden. And they have the best player on the pitch by a mile...so with Argentina stinking up the joint there are legit chances to move on...bbut thats about it
Yeah, that's what I figured. Better for the contender to just blow through the group and damage everyone else as much as possible, to leave the door open for spot #2.

Poland did pretty well under the previous coach, Sousa. They scored as many goals as England in WC qualification. They got draws against Spain, Netherlands, England, and used the 4-3-3.
He randomly quit to go coach in Brazil, right before that Sweden match.

This new coach is back to the turtle mentality that I've seen all my life. They never control play and hope for 1-0's and staunch defending. I know this roster isn't among the top teams, but on paper they should be better than they are. The formation holds them back.
That being said, Michniewicz did get them the Sweden win when it was do or die. I'm at least grateful for that.

Reactions: vodeni

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Yeah I just think the execution of the crosses was poor for the most party. McKennie excels in the air so it’s not like they don’t have someone capable of taking advantage of them.

Yesterday was a pretty disappointing result, especially due to the absolute brain dead foul from Zimmerman. I get it was Bale but you just don’t foul someone in the box when their back is to the goal.

US has a young, very perspective team that has been playing together now for a while, but this coach has to go. He is f***ing clueless

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
There is a whole forum for the WC in soccer... or is this just a small personal penguins fans zone that won't have all the main board posters with their views?

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017

i dont think theres any accounting for how the usa just physically wilted after 50 minutes. mckennie was never fully right and seemed to strain his groin around the half and was completely ineffective after. musah hit a wall. weah and pulisic both were out of gas. not enough 90 minute fit performances to go around

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
i dont think theres any accounting for how the usa just physically wilted after 50 minutes. mckennie was never fully right and seemed to strain his groin around the half and was completely ineffective after. musah hit a wall. weah and pulisic both were out of gas. not enough 90 minute fit performances to go around
The US is young and Wales (Bale and Ramsay especially) are old. It's not a good excuse.

But reality is that the US isn't that talented...Pulisic, McKennie, Sargent, Aaronson are good players but they are levels below the actual world class guys. Wales and the US are on the same level and the draw was a fair result.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
The US is young and Wales (Bale and Ramsay especially) are old. It's not a good excuse.

But reality is that the US isn't that talented...Pulisic, McKennie, Sargent, Aaronson are good players but they are levels below the actual world class guys. Wales and the US are on the same level and the draw was a fair result.
well, the most talented player on the usa roster wasnt able to play and a trio of the talented guys needed early subs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad