OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Recipe for great Chinese fried rice wanted ( likely chicken or beef if it makes a difference ).

I have never made it before.

I have no Wok, but then again my stove is a ceramic glass one ( non induction ). I do have a workhorse heavy 14 inch All Clad Saute pan and a 12 inch cast iron skillet which I understand I should not use on the new stove.

If I need to get a kind of Wok that will work well with the stove then so be it, and any tips there would be appreciated.

I researched this and got bogged down with sites arguing over dark soya v regular soya v X v Y.

Any help would be appreciated.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Recipe for great Chinese fried rice wanted ( likely chicken or beef if it makes a difference ).

I have never made it before.

I have no Wok, but then again my stove is a ceramic glass one ( non induction ). I do have a workhorse heavy 14 inch All Clad Saute pan and a 12 inch cast iron skillet which I understand I should not use on the new stove.

If I need to get a kind of Wok that will work well with the stove then so be it, and any tips there would be appreciated.

I researched this and got bogged down with sites arguing over dark soya v regular soya v X v Y.

Any help would be appreciated.

Wok cooking is actually more difficult than it looks. You need to have a lot of heat and be able to control it well. Chinese woks are actually fairly thin, and they heat them over a rocket flame that they control with a foot pedal. Because the wok is thin and the heat source is intense, they can heat the wok up several hundred degrees, and cool it off quite quickly with a ladle full of water. It's hard to mimic well on a regular stove. I even have a natural gas stove with a double burner ring and it doesn't quite do the trick.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
You Calgarians are obsessed with your lawns, in the UK which is an island (if you didn’t know;)) we have hose pipe bans, here loads of kilometres from the ocean you just use water willy nilly. Des is always telling his team off for leaving taps on in the kitchen. I look at the kids’ water parks in our communities and I would love to go and stand under it.

It’s the drop in temperature that fascinates me, tomorrow we’ll apparently be 10 degrees lower, we’ll all be freezing :laugh:

I don't know much about weather in Calgary but, here in Qc, we just had our 5th episode of 37+C with humidity. By episode, I mean 4 days straight+ with nights at 22-25+. I don't remember ever having so many days that were so hot in the last years. We usually have up to 3-4 episodes and a lot of rain. We barely had 5 days of rain in this whole summer.

@yianik

I feel like Dark Soya gives a more darker color to your fried rice. I don't know if it really tastes different though. In any ways, fried rice can be quite simple to make and taste good enough. I make some from time to time as I feel it's some comfort food. Places like Thai express adds eggs in the rice, I don't, but it's your choice.

If you do add eggs, I believe you cook it first. Then let it rest on a plate.
Cook your meat (I always use chicken) and your rice separately.
Add green onions (yellow onions are fine) and bell pepper to your meat as you flipped it up
Once everything looks somewhat crispy, add your cooked rice
Add Soya, Hoisin sauce, mix it up
I like to add Sriracha as it spices it up more
Add pepper

It's not super quality but it's good enough. I've made something similar this week by removing most of the sauces (because all my bottles were empty) and used curry on the rice and chicken instead. It was still good enough

Reactions: yianik

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Yeah but ... which gin?

And, just as importantly, which tonic?

Here are two of the best tonics from the connoisseurs I've consulted:

21861-reg-tonic.png
c84ec4b29d05218417f07c7e981ba34a.png

The difference?

Ever wondered why premium tonic waters are considerably more expensive than the supermarket own-brand versions? The price gap reflects quality and according to one industry expert, it really is worth splashing out if you're after a great-tasting G&T. ...

Preservatives, flavourings and artificial sweeteners including sucralose can be found in many own-brand tonics, but the worst offender is saccharine.
"It's well known in the drinks trade to be the cheapest and worst tasting sweetener," Warrillow added. "It leaves this bitter back taste in your mouth and we strongly believe that one of the reasons gin and tonic was declining in popularity was because it was this poor tasting tonic water."

There's a clever way to judge the quality of your tonic, too. While larger bubbles suggest it contains a sweetener, smaller bubbles are said to be found in the naturally sweetened products. Something to remember next time it's happy hour...

Why cheap tonic water ruins a G&T

If you're drinking expensive gin, why mix it with cheap tonic water?

These brands are not widely distributed. Fever Tree sells in certain grocery stores. Panache sells directly via their website.

Enjoy.
If ever you want to try some good tonics, you can check out Alambika - The Trendiest Cocktail Store in Canada. If you go when it's not too busy you can definitely spend a good amount of time tasting all of the tonics and bitters.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Yeah but ... which gin?

And, just as importantly, which tonic?

Here are two of the best tonics from the connoisseurs I've consulted:

21861-reg-tonic.png
c84ec4b29d05218417f07c7e981ba34a.png

Fun fact, Fever tree is a fascination for one of my MSc. Finance Teacher. That company makes a ridiculously high profit margin (Return on Equity or ROE of 30%+). I've tried the Tonic, it's not bad, but I have to admit I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to Gin and Tonics. The profit margin is of much more interest to me than the product itself :thumbu:

Also, for you gin aficionados. I like Edinburgh Gin.

They produced "flavored" gins (rhubarb, raspberry, etc) that are quite tasty and perfect for a non-gin drinker such as me.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fun fact, Fever tree is a fascination for one of my MSc. Finance Teacher. That company makes a ridiculously high profit margin (Return on Equity or ROE of 30%+). I've tried the Tonic, it's not bad, but I have to admit I'm far from knowledgeable when it comes to Gin and Tonics. The profit margin is of much more interest to me than the product itself :thumbu:

Maybe I should be buying stock in the company, instead. :sarcasm:

I take it they're doing well cause they must have been early at offering a premium tonic. I agree that they are pricey and I'm constantly looking to see if someone else is producing as quality a product or better for less.

Biggest issue with finding premium tonics is how the majority of supermarkets continue to offer the same low quality options that they always have.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Maybe I should be buying stock in the company, instead. :sarcasm:

I take it they're doing well cause they must have been early at offering a premium tonic. I agree that they are pricey and I'm constantly looking to see if someone else is producing as quality a product or better for less.

Biggest issue with finding premium tonics is how the majority of supermarkets continue to offer the same low quality options that they always have.

Maybe it's because they're from the UK, but they're everywhere here.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I currently live in Scotland, and since Fever-Tree are based in the UK, it's quite popular. Haven't searched for it in Québec yet.

Now I get why you said it was available everywhere.

You meant everywhere in Scotland. :D

Reactions: QuebecPride

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Had no trouble to get it in London as well, dunno for Canada.

In Quebec, it's at the odd grocery store.

I'm going to keep looking for other options. I heard Panache tonics (made in Montreal) are supposed to be high quality.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
I went to jardin panos on mont Royal which is a greek restaurant. The food isnt bad at all.

For pizza , pizza roma on st laurent is amazing if you call for delivery

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Would have been my nomination for saltiest poutine in the city, however I just tried Five Guys' the other day and good lord, their poutine gave my hypertension.
How is the Harvey's poutine?

I've had Poutine from Harvey's quite a few times. It's not that bad honestly. Go and take a bit from McDonald's poutine. They add a bit of sauce in their bucket of salt.

I've never tasted something as salty as McDonald's poutine, I swear.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I've had Poutine from Harvey's quite a few times. It's not that bad honestly. Go and take a bit from McDonald's poutine. They add a bit of sauce in their bucket of salt.

I've never tasted something as salty as McDonald's poutine, I swear.
McDonald's poutine is one of the worst I have had. The worst was from a pub somewhere in BC, I dont remember where, but it was a mix of grated cheddar and mozzarella cheese topped with green onions

Reactions: PhysicX
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad