Not open for further replies.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I enjoy Italian poutine

it's probably my favorite :dunno:
I really like Poutineville's Godfather

GODFATHER

Fresh crispy home fries with roasted red peppers, marinated eggplant, Italian sausage, fresh cheese curds, our tomato meat sauce and mozzarella cheese au gratin.

The eggplant makes it a bit weird in your mouth but it's still enjoyable (and it looks weird overall)

the-godfather.jpg

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I enjoy Italian poutine

GODFATHER

Fresh crispy home fries with roasted red peppers, marinated eggplant, Italian sausage, fresh cheese curds, our tomato meat sauce and mozzarella cheese au gratin.

The eggplant makes it a bit weird in your mouth but it's still enjoyable (and it looks weird overall)

the-godfather.jpg

Italian poutine is too hearty for me. Something about spaghetti sauce (or any tomato sauce) being mixed with potatoes (those aren't gnocchis) just doesn't add up for me. It's weird but good for the first few bites, and then it's just soggy land.

Reactions: Runner77

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I enjoy Italian poutine

GODFATHER

the-godfather.jpg
\

To me that looks more like a plate of lasagna gone rogue. :laugh:

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Waste of air

Here's an idea for a poutine that compensates for the inherent problems it has - soggy fries and tasteless cheese. I don't have a fryer so I can't try this myself. If you like the idea, let us know if it works.

1. Grate a bunch of potatoes. Make a bowl with a couple of strainers and the deep fryer.

2. Use the rest of the grated potatoes (with a binder) and make a 1/2 inch pan sized patty. Fry it long and slow to develop a dark crust on both sides.

3. Break up the patty and put the pieces in the potato bowl. Add grated gruyere or old cheddar and distribute it. Melt it in the oven.

4. Add a peppercorn sauce rather than a tasteless gravy.

5. Top with crispy shallots and / or bacon / chicarons.

6. Enjoy

Reactions: ArtPeur

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Here's an idea for a poutine that compensates for the inherent problems it has - soggy fries and tasteless cheese. I don't have a fryer so I can't try this myself. If you like the idea, let us know if it works.

1. Grate a bunch of potatoes. Make a bowl with a couple of strainers and the deep fryer.

2. Use the rest of the grated potatoes (with a binder) and make a 1/2 inch pan sized patty. Fry it long and slow to develop a dark crust on both sides.

3. Break up the patty and put the pieces in the potato bowl. Add grated gruyere or old cheddar and distribute it. Melt it in the oven.

4. Add a peppercorn sauce rather than a tasteless gravy.

5. Top with crispy shallots and / or bacon / chicarons.

6. Enjoy

that sounds good

Reactions: groovejuice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I think the crunchiness of poutine is mostly in the way it's served. You first need crunchy fries. But then if you just pile them up willy nilly and smother them in gravy, no matter how crispy they started, they'll go soggy. But if you arrange the fries in a sort of ''inverted cone'' pattern, put the cheese inside the cone, and then put the gravy, most of the fries will remain crunchy, while all of the fries will get some gravy.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I think the crunchiness of poutine is mostly in the way it's served. You first need crunchy fries. But then if you just pile them up willy nilly and smother them in gravy, no matter how crispy they started, they'll go soggy. But if you arrange the fries in a sort of ''inverted cone'' pattern, put the cheese inside the cone, and then put the gravy, most of the fries will remain crunchy, while all of the fries will get some gravy.

I still find it preferable to have the crispiest fries, but that's just me.

But yeah, that technique works well. I've tried poutines that had both crispy fries and was well-arranged to reduce soggyness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad