OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I am an only child (female) and after I didn’t make the necessary grades to make further education had to get a job (wasn’t given the option of making better grades), I worked in a police station which taught me never trust the cops,lol, I am so soft on my son and now he is spoilt and has an easy life, luckily he has realized he has to go back to school to get better grades in his diploma so he can go to Uni and get a good job, he is incredibly intelligent (2 psychologists have said this and he’s just hasn’t been challenged) so hopefully he will realize his potential
As you've probably realized, you can't force maturity. Our clueless kids will get there, but they'll have to discover their own motivation, not the ones we try and pound into them. Right now, our grownup wisdom bounces off them like ping pong balls. One of my sons is talking about saving for a car, but only because he has a girlfriend. There's his motivation. My other son is girlfriend-less and, thus far, motivation-less.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Favorite drink: gin and tonic.

Favorite food: a wedge of lime.

That covers it up for me this summer. :laugh:

Yeah but ... which gin?

And, just as importantly, which tonic?

Here are two of the best tonics from the connoisseurs I've consulted:

21861-reg-tonic.png
c84ec4b29d05218417f07c7e981ba34a.png

The difference?

Ever wondered why premium tonic waters are considerably more expensive than the supermarket own-brand versions? The price gap reflects quality and according to one industry expert, it really is worth splashing out if you're after a great-tasting G&T. ...

Preservatives, flavourings and artificial sweeteners including sucralose can be found in many own-brand tonics, but the worst offender is saccharine.
"It's well known in the drinks trade to be the cheapest and worst tasting sweetener," Warrillow added. "It leaves this bitter back taste in your mouth and we strongly believe that one of the reasons gin and tonic was declining in popularity was because it was this poor tasting tonic water."

There's a clever way to judge the quality of your tonic, too. While larger bubbles suggest it contains a sweetener, smaller bubbles are said to be found in the naturally sweetened products. Something to remember next time it's happy hour...

Why cheap tonic water ruins a G&T

If you're drinking expensive gin, why mix it with cheap tonic water?

These brands are not widely distributed. Fever Tree sells in certain grocery stores. Panache sells directly via their website.

Enjoy.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Yeah but ... which gin?

And, just as importantly, which tonic?

Here are two of the best tonics from the connoisseurs I've consulted:

21861-reg-tonic.png
c84ec4b29d05218417f07c7e981ba34a.png

The difference?

Ever wondered why premium tonic waters are considerably more expensive than the supermarket own-brand versions? The price gap reflects quality and according to one industry expert, it really is worth splashing out if you're after a great-tasting G&T. ...

Preservatives, flavourings and artificial sweeteners including sucralose can be found in many own-brand tonics, but the worst offender is saccharine.
"It's well known in the drinks trade to be the cheapest and worst tasting sweetener," Warrillow added. "It leaves this bitter back taste in your mouth and we strongly believe that one of the reasons gin and tonic was declining in popularity was because it was this poor tasting tonic water."

There's a clever way to judge the quality of your tonic, too. While larger bubbles suggest it contains a sweetener, smaller bubbles are said to be found in the naturally sweetened products. Something to remember next time it's happy hour...

Why cheap tonic water ruins a G&T

If you're drinking expensive gin, why mix it with cheap tonic water?

These brands are not widely distributed. Fever Tree sells in certain grocery stores. Panache sells directly via their website.

Enjoy.

That makes a whole lotta sense.

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That makes a whole lotta sense.

Love Fever Tree. Didn't try Panache yet.

They're not cheap but Fever Tree is definitely worth it, you can taste the quality.

Also, be sure to match the type of gin with the appropriate tonic.

Example: if your gin is herbal, go for the matching herbal friendly tonic so that it complements the taste even more.

You may not want to stock Fever Tree for a large party, it's going to cost you. Just consider having it on hand for your own private tastings. It's also available in larger bottles, providing some savings.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Love Fever Tree. Didn't try Panache yet.

They're not cheap but Fever Tree is definitely worth it, you can taste the quality.

Also, be sure to match the type of gin with the appropriate tonic.

Example: if your gin is herbal, go for the matching herbal friendly tonic so that it complements the taste even more.

You may not want to stock Fever Tree for a large party, it's going to cost you. Just consider having it on hand for your own private tastings. It's also available in larger bottles, providing some savings.

Which Gin would you take with Fever Tree?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Which Gin would you take with Fever Tree?

If you use Ungava or Hendricks, then the complementary Fever Tree Tonic is either Mediterranean Blend or Indian Tonic Water.

If you use Tanqueray, the best complementatry Fever Tree Tonic is Indian Tonic Water.

If you use Bombay, the best complementary Fever Tree Tonic is Mediterranean Blend.

You can see both products here: Fever-Tree Premium Natural Mixers

My personal favorite is Tanqueray with Indian Tonic Water. Superb.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
If you use Ungava or Hendricks, then the complementary Fever Tree Tonic is either Mediterranean Blend or Indian Tonic Water.

If you use Tanqueray, the best complementatry Fever Tree Tonic is Indian Tonic Water.

If you use Bombay, the best complementary Fever Tree Tonic is Mediterranean Blend.

thanks

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I never mix expensive gin with cheap tonic. Never!

I just buy cheap gin... :laugh:

Life's way too short for that. :D

You can always use Schweppes as a baseline -- the version that comes in a bottle and is quite bubbly. It's affordable for a large party, there's that.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I was at a fancy cocktail bar in san francisco and they were mostly using gordon's for their basic cocktails. Of course they had fancier gins but these guys could do a lot with cheap gin.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Hey @groovejuice hows 37 C feeling? I don’t have air con and the fan is just moving hot air around. I’ve drank loads of water that I’ll be up all night peeing I feel but still feeling dry. Will switch to wine soon with the hope I’ll fall in bed drunk and sleep all night :laugh: probably won’t as it’ll not exactly quench my thirst, any good ideas?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Hey @groovejuice hows 37 C feeling? I don’t have air con and the fan is just moving hot air around. I’ve drank loads of water that I’ll be up all night peeing I feel but still feeling dry. Will switch to wine soon with the hope I’ll fall in bed drunk and sleep all night :laugh: probably won’t as it’ll not exactly quench my thirst, any good ideas?

I'm in the basement bedroom staying cool. I am going back and forth outside as I'm bbqing some beets, onions and carrots that I got at the Farmer's Market. I'm doing a nice T-bone as well and I got a beautiful Parisian baguette to have on the side.

I'm used to the late night peeing, but that's due to my age more than anything else. :laugh: Enjoy the wine @CalgarySnow!

PS. You could always drink cosmopolitans. That'll get you asleep.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
I'm in the basement bedroom staying cool. I am going back and forth outside as I'm bbqing some beets, onions and carrots that I got at the Farmer's Market. I'm doing a nice T-bone as well and I got a beautiful Parisian baguette to have on the side.

I'm used to the late night peeing, but that's due to my age more than anything else. :laugh: Enjoy the wine @CalgarySnow!

PS. You could always drink cosmopolitans. That'll get you asleep.

That tea sounds divine, your partner is very lucky. Late night peeing I understand I’m old too (51 at the end of the month aaaagh! Not sure how time flew this fast). Cosmo is my favourite cocktail have to say my husband does a really good one, only way I can drink cranberry juice

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
That tea sounds divine, your partner is very lucky. Late night peeing I understand I’m old too (51 at the end of the month aaaagh! Not sure how time flew this fast). Cosmo is my favourite cocktail have to say my husband does a really good one, only way I can drink cranberry juice

I've a talent for guessing cocktails. A little squeeze each of fresh lime and orange make a cosmo even better. Personally I add some Campari. I love that stuff!

Reactions: Runner77

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Never liked Campari when I was younger (worked in a bar as an extra job and tried everything) but now I do like it so tastes change, I hated olives too but now can’t get enough of the black ones.

This heat, I was told Canada was a cold country, I did not sign up for 37C, I’m melting, much prefer -37C. You can put clothes on to keep warm but there are only so many you can take off :laugh:. At least it’s a dry heat, Ottawa is humid and I hate that more, husband has been told if the house doesn’t have air con (and a gas stove) I’m not moving. I remember the first summer I moved here we had a tornado warning, I nearly hyper ventilated :laugh: especially as it was headed my direction in Somerset

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Never liked Campari when I was younger (worked in a bar as an extra job and tried everything) but now I do like it so tastes change, I hated olives too but now can’t get enough of the black ones.

This heat, I was told Canada was a cold country, I did not sign up for 37C, I’m melting, much prefer -37C. You can put clothes on to keep warm but there are only so many you can take off :laugh:. At least it’s a dry heat, Ottawa is humid and I hate that more, husband has been told if the house doesn’t have air con (and a gas stove) I’m not moving. I remember the first summer I moved here we had a tornado warning, I nearly hyper ventilated :laugh: especially as it was headed my direction in Somerset

This is, as you know, quite unusual here. But we have it so seldom, I'll muddle through. I'm hoping for some rain. My lawn looks like someone set fire to it.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Its 13C in Saint Anne Des Monts ATM, cold af.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
You Calgarians are obsessed with your lawns, in the UK which is an island (if you didn’t know;)) we have hose pipe bans, here loads of kilometres from the ocean you just use water willy nilly. Des is always telling his team off for leaving taps on in the kitchen. I look at the kids’ water parks in our communities and I would love to go and stand under it.

It’s the drop in temperature that fascinates me, tomorrow we’ll apparently be 10 degrees lower, we’ll all be freezing :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Interesting. Gin bars are very popular in HK and it's grown on me, but never realized the importance of tonic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad