OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Made this last night. Presentation sucks I know (overcrowded) but I was hungry.
xeIJMm8.jpg

Aged beef tenderloin, seared and then basted with butter, then brushed with a mix of dijon and aged balsamic when i let it rest. Parm crisps that crumbled :)() in my hands. Endives sautéed in butter then glazed in a mix of maple syrup, aged balsamic and aged soy sauce. Croutons drizzled with the leftover fat from cooking the beef. On top of a simple salad with cucumbers, fresh endives and cherry tomatoes, with a dressing made with aquafaba, grapeseed oil, lemon juice, dijon, salt and pepper.

And for meal prep, I made a vegan chili... with gochujang as an experiment. Worked quite well.
iTHd3Ih.jpg

That experiment will push me to make a korean chili con carne in the upcoming weeks. Will probably use ground pork and ground beef, kimchi, gochugaru, gochujang, garlic, ginger and scallions as a base. I'll probably replace the black beans with red beans, and maybe add radish if I feel like it, and top with more scallions, sesame seeds and pickled radish when serving.
And voilà.
pEPLRFi.jpg

May legitimately always make my "chili" korean style from now on.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
That looks really nice. How hot did you make it?
I put almost half of my gochujang container (which is 500g, so about 250g). And a couple of tablespoons of gochujaru (korean chili flakes). Plus kimchi, which also contains gochujaru.

I use daesang gochujang, and they have a 5-level scale on the packaging for hotness, and the one I buy is a 4.

In the end, I thought it would be really, really spicy. It's still very hot, but not to the point it makes me have wet eyes. I guess my tolerance for hotness has increased these past few months with me doing mostly asian (not just korean!) style stuff.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's a great combination of elements for heat, as each one brings its own nuances. Are there pinto and black beans in it?

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Yeah I recognized those but the texture looked like there might be others. Anyhow, great job!
I wish I had found adzuki beans. :( Ate it tonight served with some whacky purple glass noodles I found at the asian market, topped with pickled radish (couldn't find daikon at the grocery T_T) and more kimchi because kimchi is life (and raw sesame seeds because I was too lazy to toast them)
PmvG0g0.jpg

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I wish I had found adzuki beans. :( Ate it tonight served with some whacky purple glass noodles I found at the asian market, topped with pickled radish (couldn't find daikon at the grocery T_T) and more kimchi because kimchi is life (and raw sesame seeds because I was too lazy to toast them)
PmvG0g0.jpg

I think those noodles might be made from purple yam. I'm going to try my hand at making daikon kimchi. As much as I love the regular cabbage variety, daikon is my favourite - it gets an awesome funkiness.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I think those noodles might be made from purple yam. I'm going to try my hand at making daikon kimchi. As much as I love the regular cabbage variety, daikon is my favourite - it gets an awesome funkiness.
Purple sweet potato starch for the noodles.

I really need to stop being scared of making my own kimchi. The one I buy is good, but it does get expensive with the amount I consume.

I've had daikon kimchi once, back when I was in Montreal (found it at Marché de l'Eden), and yeah it's very particular, in a good way. Daikon is just so amazing. If just pickled, they are my favorite pickled veggies (more than cucumbers!).

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Purple sweet potato starch for the noodles.

I really need to stop being scared of making my own kimchi. The one I buy is good, but it does get expensive with the amount I consume.

I've had daikon kimchi once, back when I was in Montreal (found it at Marché de l'Eden), and yeah it's very particular, in a good way. Daikon is just so amazing. If just pickled, they are my favorite pickled veggies (more than cucumbers!).

When I make Bánh mì, I make a pickled slaw for the sandwich with daikon and carrots. It's fantastic.

2019-03-18 19.47.56.jpg

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
My body is magnetized by that. I gotta eat dish/cuisine/food/meal from others culture tho. I know that I'm missing something.

That being said, I'm not game enough :D

You got my curiosity up,what do you eat then? what have you tried? what culture food do you eat?

upload_2020-6-2_10-25-47.jpeg

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Made some Gehaktbals as my SO wanted some big meaty dutch balls and thought that's what she meant seeing as she can't pronounce gehaktbal. We even have a song about them,crazy! must have come up with it when the dutch were trading out east and bringing in the opium.:)

images

Reminded me of the SNL skit

Reactions: groovejuice

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Perhaps not essential, but the bánh mì screams for fresh herbs. There are some intense and funky flavours in there that are nicely complemented by the freshness. Not to say it's integral to the dish, but it IMO it makes it better and more authentic.

Just saying I'd eat with or without,it's still a wonderful sandwich. Can easily minimize the cilantro and chop it finer so it blends in more and so that it's no so overpowering. Sometimes the Gumbo I make has no File powder,it's still good. Typical for any dish,there are a plethora of recipes and they are not all identical,so many variations. Baking is a different matter where it's more formulaic and science and requires more adherence to the recipe. Might be taking exception to a previous post where it was mentioned that someone would not attempt a recipe due to some reason or another, yet creates some concoction of multi continent fusion that is totally bastardized.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If any gardener or farmer has a problem with bugs? I’m here to tell you as a layman that the Carolina Finch can solve it. I live in an old brick home with a substantial deck in the backyard. Every spring and summer we get carpenter ants in the house. Not too bad and we don’t use pesticides. This year a set of Carolina Finches setup shop in my backyard. These little bastards have decimated the carpenter ants! Seriously! My wife was sun bathing on the deck and they didn’t care about proximity to humans. I had to go to the local autobahn society to help me figure out what they were. I have 2 Carolina Finch birdhouses on the way. Seriously, there are no bugs in my backyard and these little bastards are eating them! I love it!

An edit! I have a giant 80 pound golden retriever that is not fat. Just a giant alpha female. The backyard is her domain. She will lay down and watch the Finches fly. Anything else? Like cats etc? It’s go time! Just an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad