OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Made some dutch hachee and as always we debate over the origin as my SO makes hayashi and it's actually the same thing. Guess it stems from the times with exclusive trade back in the day.The difference is potatoes and rice,either way,delicious!

View attachment 349230
images

Looks splendid, BTW SO means significant other in the US or in Canada but in Swedish it means a female pig. :) I am getting hungry. :thumbu:

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm pondering renting out a food truck for my bday in July, any of you recommend good ones?
I'm looking at Dilallo, Grunman, or Mi Corazon.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I don't think so. Could have been Chateau BBQ on Cote St-Luc rd. Tried it once, was OK.
Okay, in that case we're talking the same joint around Sherbrooke & Decarie. I've never seen fries like the ones in your pic delivered from it to me.

Perhaps they've upped their fries game. Good for them.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
As a kimchi and chili lover, that looks fantastic. Did you follow a recipe, or was this your own concoction? If you used a recipe, care to share :) ?
Sorry for taking some time to respond. It was indeed my own concoction, and outside of the ingredients I used, I don't recall the quantities used (and never do, I always eyeball things and go with taste).

Ingredients were : Ground meat (half pork, half lean beef), garlic, ginger, gochujaru (korean chili flakes), gochujang, kimchi (and some kimchi juice), tomato sauce, beef stock, red beans, green onions, carrots, salt, pepper, tiny bit of fish sauce, tiny bit of soy sauce, red bell peppers (had leftovers, so didn't put much). Might be some other ingredients I forgot, but I think that's mostly it.

After looking online, seems like this recipe is relatively similar to what I ended up making : Korean Chili con Carne with Red Beans and Kimchi - Taste With The Eyes

In my case I made pickled raddish to serve it with. I topped it with more kimchi. Served alongside glass noodles.

Reactions: Eegs

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Shish taouk is a fantastic dish, but all too often the garlic is far too dominant, often overwhelming the other flavours.

When I make it I use a couple of heads of roasted garlic which becomes less pungent but also sweeter and more balanced.

Wanted to mention I tried toum with the roasted garlic,very nice turnout,thanks for the tip! So good in fact we dip carrots and celery now in it.

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Sorry for taking some time to respond. It was indeed my own concoction, and outside of the ingredients I used, I don't recall the quantities used (and never do, I always eyeball things and go with taste).

Ingredients were : Ground meat (half pork, half lean beef), garlic, ginger, gochujaru (korean chili flakes), gochujang, kimchi (and some kimchi juice), tomato sauce, beef stock, red beans, green onions, carrots, salt, pepper, tiny bit of fish sauce, tiny bit of soy sauce, red bell peppers (had leftovers, so didn't put much). Might be some other ingredients I forgot, but I think that's mostly it.

After looking online, seems like this recipe is relatively similar to what I ended up making : Korean Chili con Carne with Red Beans and Kimchi - Taste With The Eyes

In my case I made pickled raddish to serve it with. I topped it with more kimchi. Served alongside glass noodles.
Thank you for the thorough reply!

I will most definitely try that recipe, thanks again!

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Wanted to mention I tried toum with the roasted garlic,very nice turnout,thanks for the tip! So good in fact we dip carrots and celery now in it.

It's so f***** good. I cheat and use egg whites because it's not easy to get it right, apparently only Lebanese grannies can do this to perfection..
There is a food cart that I used to go to and I always get the Toum on the side so Carlito can share the kebab with me without getting garlic and I get a bit more as well since the guy knows me. Hopefully his is still in the business. Everything is good dipping in toum.

This weekend I am doing quiche, I have the frozen Norwegian shrimps to use, with a little bit sweet Thai chili sauce, normally I use leeks but given Carlito's crazy demands for Norwegian shrimps I will add some heirloom grape tomatoes and lots of dill since leeks are not that great for dogs. I always make the dough for 2 quiches, I might use grilled chicken, caramelized red and green bell peppers and broccoli for the second one. I have Gruyere cheese to use. :)

Last edited:

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It's so f***** good. I cheat and use egg whites because it's not easy to get it right, apparently only Lebanese grannies can do this to perfection..
There is a food cart that I used to go to and I always get the Toum on the side so Carlito can share the kebab with me without getting garlic and I get a bit more as well since the guy knows me. Hopefully his is still in the business. Everything is good dipping in toum.

This weekend I am doing quiche, I have the frozen Norwegian shrimps to use, with a little bit sweet Thai chili sauce, normally I use leeks but given Carlito's crazy demands for Norwegian shrimps I will add some heirloom grape tomatoes and lots of dill since leeks are not that great for dogs. I always make the dough for 2 quiches, I might use grilled chicken, caramelized red and green bell peppers and broccoli for the second one. I have Gruyere cheese to use. :)

Yup,I go with the eggs whites also. Had success on a few occasions not sure why though. Store bought Toum has egg whites so, no more of granny's secret recipes crap please!

Sounds good! those little shrimps are super,just a pain in the ass to peel so many of them.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Yup,I go with the eggs whites also. Had success on a few occasions not sure why though. Store bought Toum has egg whites so, no more of granny's secret recipes crap please!

Sounds good! those little shrimps are super,just a pain in the ass to peel so many of them.

These are already peeled by non covid Norwegians or as we call them in Sweden: "Norrbaggar" which mean northern billy goats. :laugh:

@Crusherkgb How's the toum made in your restaurant?

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have started the quiche dinner. I call it Operation Quarter Pie Shrimp in accordance with previous US military "operations". The dough is currently resting in the fridge.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad