OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Amazing. Whole Foods carry the cheese, don't know if they have the XO though.
Will get a piece on my next visit.

:thumbu:

They are all fantastic! I'll gimp through the most arduous weather on my cloven-hoofs for a mere morsel.

The only issue with the vsop and more so the xo, that when nearing the rind, more of the wax comes through.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
They are all fantastic! I'll gimp through the most arduous weather on my cloven-hoofs for a mere morsel.

The only issue with the vsop and more so the xo, that when nearing the rind, more of the wax comes through.

Wax never hurt anyone, I tried to eat a candle once when very little according to my mom. Didn't "Indian-Joe" in one of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer books eat the candles when he was stuck in a cave and later perished?

upload_2020-5-20_11-32-35.jpeg

About your clove hoofs, they can be treacherous on cobble stones but great when you climb a mountain.

Capreolus_capreolus_cloven_hoof.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No doubt no doubt!:)I'd happily accompany him if it were possible.

If ordering for import I'll stock up a bit and get some of each of these, if in the NL,will just go willy nilly and sample a variety.

REYPENAER%20DUBBEL%20STUK%20REYPENAER-300x300.jpg
REYPENAER%20VSOP%20DUBBEL-300x300.jpg
REYPENAER%20XO%20DUBBEL-300x300.jpg

Thanks for posting that. How did you become acquainted with these and what is review? Are they a tough find?

Reactions: groovejuice

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just saw a segment with Dr. Cate on Real Time with Bill Maher and came away impressed. She says, among other several other interesting recommendations, not to use seed oils, which she identifies as the Hateful Eight as they harm your metabolism, among several other unwanted and negative effects:

GLlzbK8.png

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
I had this all the time at Boustan.

I'm a little unconventional as I mix both sauces, add extra coleslaw and tomatoes, skip the turnip, and add 3-4 small potatoes.

For those who haven't tried Boustan, you don't know what you're missing.
You try ordering this hodge podge in any Arab country and you'll sent to the airport immediately under heavy security, for your own safety.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You try ordering this hodge podge in any Arab country and you'll sent to the airport immediately under heavy security, for your own safety.

Oh, I'm well aware. Hence why it's unconventional. :D

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thanks for posting that. How did you become acquainted with these and what is review? Are they a tough find?

It's a Dutch cheese so grew up with it and rarely seen in Canada,but it is one of the best,if you like that type of cheese. Aged Beemster 18 month is more available in Canada and is also superb.Old Amsterdam is everywhere and good,but doesn't compare.

Last edited:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just saw a segment with Dr. Cate on Real Time with Bill Maher and came away impressed. She says, among other several other interesting recommendations, not to use seed oils, which she identifies as the Hateful Eight as they harm your metabolism, among several other unwanted and negative effects:

GLlzbK8.png

Any mention of what is good?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Any mention of what is good?

Good Fats: Eat THESE instead!

UNREFINED LOW-PUFA FATS and OILS

Avocado oil, Butter, Coconut Oil, Duck Fat, Ghee, Lard, Olive oil, Peanut oil, Tallow, Sesame oil, Flax seed oil, Walnut oil, Almond oil, Macadamia nut oil

Also: Anything that says cold pressed and unrefined. It must say unrefined! If it says cold pressed but is refined, it’s no good.

USE THESE FOR COOKING:

Almond oil, Avocado oil, Butter, Coconut, Duck Fat, Ghee, Lard, Macadamia nut oil, Peanut oil, Tallow

DON’T COOK THESE

Flax, Sesame, Walnut (Exception: Sesame plus peanut or other more stable oil, see below)

List of Good Fats and Oils versus Bad – Dr. Cate

The Hateful Eight: Enemy Fats That Destroy Your Health – Dr. Cate

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It's a Dutch cheese so grew up with it and rarely seen in Canada,but it is one of the best,if you like that type of cheese. Aged Beemster 18 month is more available in Canada and is also superb.Old Amsterdam is everywhere and good,but doesn't not compare.

I love Old Amsterdam. I saw Beemster at Costco but didn't notice how aged it was.

This other one in your pics, I have never noticed. I'm going to pay attention in case it comes up.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's a Dutch cheese so grew up with it and rarely seen in Canada,but it is one of the best,if you like that type of cheese. Aged Beemster 18 month is more available in Canada and is also superb.Old Amsterdam is everywhere and good,but doesn't not compare.

I can happily vouch for the quality of Dutch cheese. Particularly the ones like you see here - very well aged but also often quite dry, like an expensive parmesan. Cheeses of this type usually have a nice sweet aftertaste and strongish but very delicious flavour. All you need with them is a good wine and hearty crusty bread.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I can happily vouch for the quality of Dutch cheese. Particularly the ones like you see here - very well aged but also often quite dry, like an expensive parmesan. Cheeses of this type usually have a nice sweet aftertaste and strongish but very delicious flavour. All you need with them is a good wine and hearty crusty bread.

Very intense flavor, gave a microdot size sample to my friends SO whom detests cheese and she loved it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Very intense flavor, gave a microdot size sample to my friends SO whom detests cheese and she loved it.

I know you're a well-traveled guy. Wondering if getting a food product shipped to someone, is an easy thing to do right now. I take it you don't live in Montreal currently? My apologies if you've mentioned it, I can't remember.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I know you're a well-traveled guy. Wondering if getting a food product shipped to someone, is an easy thing to do right now. I take it you don't live in Montreal currently? My apologies if you've mentioned it, I can't remember.

I haven't had any issues in the past and just recently placed an order since all this began,so time will tell.
Not the same thing,but I'll ship my clubs ahead of travelling as well and so far never a problem.

Reactions: Runner77

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Good Fats: Eat THESE instead!

UNREFINED LOW-PUFA FATS and OILS

Avocado oil, Butter, Coconut Oil, Duck Fat, Ghee, Lard, Olive oil, Peanut oil, Tallow, Sesame oil, Flax seed oil, Walnut oil, Almond oil, Macadamia nut oil

Also: Anything that says cold pressed and unrefined. It must say unrefined! If it says cold pressed but is refined, it’s no good.

USE THESE FOR COOKING:

Almond oil, Avocado oil, Butter, Coconut, Duck Fat, Ghee, Lard, Macadamia nut oil, Peanut oil, Tallow

DON’T COOK THESE

Flax, Sesame, Walnut (Exception: Sesame plus peanut or other more stable oil, see below)

List of Good Fats and Oils versus Bad – Dr. Cate

The Hateful Eight: Enemy Fats That Destroy Your Health – Dr. Cate

That's a good list for cooking, most of them do well at very high heat. I currently have avocado, peanut, duck fat, butter, coconut and olive.

Also sesame, but that's for flavouring and has a low smoke point. Ghee is just
clarified butter, and tallow is inferior to duck fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad