OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
Is there a difference between shish taouk and Shawarma? The latter is everywhere in Ottawa.

Was a great hangover food in undergrad.

Here in Montreal, Shish Taouk is made with chicken and Shawarma is made with beef. Also Shawarma usually has hummus instead of toum (garlic sauce)

Reactions: angusyoung

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Shish taouk is a fantastic dish, but all too often the garlic is far too dominant, often overwhelming the other flavours.

When I make it I use a couple of heads of roasted garlic which becomes less pungent but also sweeter and more balanced.
Garlic is a big part of middle eastern cuisine. We love that shit.
Where did you try shish taouk where it was too garlicky?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I don't recall where it was, to be honest. Probably Calgary or Vancouver.

It's an issue with a lot Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food. Too much raw garlic can ruin a dish, just as a more tempered amount greatly enhance it.

If I can't taste the chicken in a shish taouk or a falafel in a pita due to an overwhelming fresh garlic component, I'm very unhappy.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I don't recall where it was, to be honest. Probably Calgary or Vancouver.

It's an issue with a lot Mediterranean and Middle Eastern food. Too much raw garlic can ruin a dish, just as a more tempered amount greatly enhance it.

If I can't taste the chicken in a shish taouk or a falafel in a pita due to an overwhelming fresh garlic component, I'm very unhappy.

I agree, but then, those shops need to close. I haven't tasted a place where garlic was overpowered my meal.
I've had some spots where they just put way too much sauce, but that's another issue.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Shish taouk is a fantastic dish, but all too often the garlic is far too dominant, often overwhelming the other flavours.

When I make it I use a couple of heads of roasted garlic which becomes less pungent but also sweeter and more balanced.

I'd be willing to give it a try.It's simple and fast enough aside from roasting aspect of it. Thanks for the idea.

Reactions: groovejuice

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
There are actually quite a few which makes it confusing: Shawarma, Shish Kebab, Shish Taouk, Döner and Gyro.

The differences are how they prepare the meet, the spices used, the toping ingredients and the region they come from. As someone said, it used to be my favorite after clubing food when I was in my 20's. They all taste yummy!

In Quebec city we have this 24 hours restaurant named Beyrouth Cité, it's pretty good.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Any have experience with smokers? Need a recommendation. Would like to cold smoke cheese as well as traditional smoking. Also, if they make them, completely automated. Thanks in advance buddies!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There are actually quite a few which makes it confusing: Shawarma, Shish Kebab, Shish Taouk, Döner and Gyro.

The differences are how they prepare the meet, the spices used, the toping ingredients and the region they come from. As someone said, it used to be my favorite after clubing food when I was in my 20's. They all taste yummy!

In Quebec city we have this 24 hours restaurant named Beyrouth Cité, it's pretty good.

Region doesn't have much to do with it. No matter where you go, Shish Taouk is chicken, Shish Kebab are blocks of meats (beef or lamb), and Shawarma is cut in slices. All have their own unique marinade and spices.
That's the traditional way.

After clubbing spots, fast food joints, they usually do doners, which simply means ''rotating'' in Turkish, hence those massive chunks of meats rotating and getting grilled.
Doner is turkish, Gyro is greek. They mean the same thing, the difference usually comes from having more greek ingredients, ie, tzatziki, greek bread, greek spices, for the gyro, and the doner is more middle eastern style.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Took a chance and ordered food for dinner. I'm feeling quite lazy anf went for the weird pizza choice. Chicken, bacon and cheese with some other toppings on a pan crust. It was surprinsigly good with a garlic dip.

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Take 12 hard boiled eggs and slice them. Put them in a large serving bowl. Slice a large link of smoked kielbasa and add it. Add a table spoon of horseradish and 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to the mixture and mix it up. Let it stand for an hour and eat! You can modify the amount of horseradish and vinegar to taste. One of my favorite family Easter dishes!

Made something very similar the other day and the next day while doing some chopping dropped a SBD and one of the dogs started growling and looked pissed off.:laugh:

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Made some toum again, used an immersion blender and added egg-whites and that's they way from now on,thick as thick can be. Fast and simple,will give it a go one day with the roasted garlic and see how that turns out. Added bonus is it's keeping everyone away from me.:)

images

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Made some toum again, used an immersion blender and added egg-whites and that's they way from now on,thick as thick can be. Fast and simple,will give it a go one day with the roasted garlic and see how that turns out. Added bonus is it's keeping everyone away from me.:)

images

I love toum but almost always use roasted garlic. It's too easy to overdo the fresh garlic and unbalance the meal and any intimacy you had planned for a couple of days. :sarcasm:

Gyfu

May 16, 2011

Damn i miss that shish taouk (not in the region anymore)

Reactions: Holystik

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I love toum but almost always use roasted garlic. It's too easy to overdo the fresh garlic and unbalance the meal and any intimacy you had planned for a couple of days. :sarcasm:

Yes! 100% I believe we are on the same page........:facepalm:

Now that I have the method,proper receptacles etc down to a t,will try the roasted garlic.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I’ve been cooking on charcoal for the last 3 years, will never go back to propane and mostly low and slow but pretty much everything else but looking to tackle a version of Schwartz smoked meat. Most recipes call for about about an 7-8 day cure etc... but figure best to ask the locals. Any tips?

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Any have experience with smokers? Need a recommendation. Would like to cold smoke cheese as well as traditional smoking. Also, if they make them, completely automated. Thanks in advance buddies!
I looked at all the different options a few years ago before buying a Komado Joe, have the option to smoke really low or cook steaks at 700 degrees and everything in between and I like the more traditional coals/chips - excuse to drink all Saturday while I tend to the grill lol. Locking in temps isn’t hard once you get used to it but they have even been automating these with accessories like IKomand/SmartFire that basically lets you set and forget. There are electric pellet smokers that are much easier to use but some barely look like a grill, just a cabinet (Bradley Smoker), others at least look like a BBQ (eg Traegers/Davy Crockett Green Mountain Grills). Most of these wont get hot enough to do steaks or pizza so best to check temp range if you went this route. The food tastes the same either way so really comes down to preference. If you’re only interested in smoking and want the least amount of work the Bradley is probably the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad