OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Nothing beats living the healthy life style.:thumbu::thumbu:

If that's the case, then I'm definitely going to break the law tonight. Might post pictures. :)

P.S. For the record, I burned somewhere between 1250-1400 calories yesterday, so the sweets, pizza and other meal still ended up putting me at a approx. -800 caloric intake for the day.

Reactions: angusyoung

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
If that's the case, then I'm definitely going to break the law tonight. Might post pictures. :)

P.S. For the record, I burned somewhere between 1250-1400 calories yesterday, so the sweets, pizza and other meal still ended up putting me at a approx. -800 caloric intake for the day.
I salute you!

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
So here we go, another trip to my local brewpub. Note that I kept forgetting to take pictures until the halfway point because I just wanted to down that shit after a long week of studies, so I failed.

Beer #1: Cumulus (5.5% alcohol), a Pale Ale with Citra and Galaxy hops. Felt like a lighter IPA but with those citrus-y notes brought forth by the Citra, pretty decent. (Score: 6.7)

Beer #2: A project beer under the pseudonym Pastry (10% alcohol), an Imperial Stout flavored with chocolate, hazelnut and wafer. It wasn't cheap, but damn was it ever tasty. I'll drink it any day. (Score: 8.6)

Beer #3: Another project beer called Moka (5.7% alcohol), and oatmeal stout infused with lactose, chocolate and cold brew coffee. Tasted like coffee, fine but not entirely memorable. (Score: 5.8)

Beer #4: Brew Juice, a "Smoothie Weisse" (6% alcohol), incorporating lactose, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries and Boysenberries. Fruit beers usually aren't my thing, mostly because they get it wrong. This got it right. (Score: 9.2)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
My partner "stabbed me in the back" tonight by surprising me with a Ferreira reservation. She knew perfectly well what she was doing by bringing me there.

The restaurant serves my very favourite dish of anywhere in the city, so, of course, I had to have the black cod again.

God, it's been so long since I've last had it, perhaps 5 or 6 years (give or take). As a a long time vegan, I am now feeling both guilty and satisfied.

It's quite incredible how they manage to cook that wonderful piece of protein so consistently every single time. When you press down on it with your finger it flakes apart to a point, yet the centre is still moist, warm and semi-translucent. It's a stunning plate of food, a masterpiece really.

It's true that you don't get the textural contrast with it, but I couldn't give a flying kite about that every time I take a forkful. The porcini provides depth, the olive oil puree adds richness and the port reduction sauce cuts through all of that with its acidity giving your palette another dimension of flavour.

Last edited:

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
My partner "stabbed me in the back" tonight by surprising me with a Ferreira reservation. She knew perfectly well what she was doing by bringing me there.

The restaurant serves my very favourite dish of anywhere in the city, so, of course, I had to have the black cod again.

God, it's been so long since I've last had it, perhaps 5 or 6 years (give or take). As a a long time vegan, I am now feeling both guilty and satisfied.

It's quite incredible how they manage to cook that wonderful piece of protein so consistently every single time. When you press down on it with your finger it flakes apart to a point, yet the centre is still moist, warm and semi-translucent. It's a stunning plate of food, a masterpiece really.

It's true that you don't get the textural contrast with it, but I couldn't give a flying kite about that every time I take a forkful. The porcini provides depth, the olive oil puree adds richness and the port reduction sauce cuts through all of that with its acidity giving your palette another dimension of flavour.

Ferreira is outstanding, glad to hear they are still going strong. Was the first ‘nice’ resto I splurged on as a student in Montreal in 2009. Great ambience in there.

Also if anyone is curious and/or looking for a special Valentine’s Day, Montreal Plaza is truly fantastic. One of the better dining experiences I have ever had. Probably less interesting for those who aren’t adventurous eaters, but I thought their combination of service, ambience and food was top shelf. Been to most of the ‘best’ in Canada now and thought it blew Alo out of the water.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Black cod, AKA sablefish is my favorite as well. The smoked variety is amazing too, but requires at least a couple of fresh water simmerings to tone down the smokiness.

Didn't know you made exceptions to your veganism, but I surely understand why you did in this case.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Black cod, AKA sablefish is my favorite as well. The smoked variety is amazing too, but requires at least a couple of fresh water simmerings to tone down the smokiness.

Didn't know you made exceptions to your veganism, but I surely understand why you did in this case.
I typically don't.

Sometimes I have "cheated" while travelling when it's not possible to find vegan meals. I last did that 3 years ago in Northern Vietnam. In the tiny rice farming village I was staying at the only vegan option was steamed rice and eating only that for a full week would've been a little much. Everything else, even vegetable dishes were often made with animal fat, shrimp paste or fish sauce.

Or in cases like the Ferreira one, but this is literally the only restaurant in town I would do that at.

I've been a vegan for 6 years or so. Can't remember the exact date, but I eliminated eggs from my diet in the spring of 2014. Before that I was an ovo-vegetarian for a couple of years.

Last edited:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Slice + Soda (corner of St. Paul and St. Francois Xavier)

Finally a New York-style pizza joint in the old port. Took f***ing long enough. Slice + Soda is the name, tried five slices with others and enjoyed all of them, each having a distinctive taste. Enjoyed the soda as well, nice bitter grapefruit. Should be a huge hit in the summer.

Score: 8.4

Last edited:
Reactions: Le Tricolore

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

Guessing you're from Okinawa,that pretty much sums up the morning gathering discussion at the shore. lol.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Slice + Soda (corner of St. Paul and St. Francois Xavier)

Finally a New York-style pizza joint in the old port. Took ****ing long enough. Slice + Soda is the name, tried five slices with others and enjoyed all of them, each having a distinctive taste. Enjoyed the soda as well, nice bitter grapefruit. Should be a huge hit in the summer.

Score: 8.4
Would be strange to be able to get good pizza in Montreal, but stranger things have happened. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Would be strange to be able to get good pizza in Montreal, but stranger things have happened. I'll definitely check it out at some point.

They've been popping up slowly. The city does a fine job with Neapolitan pies now, but there needs to be more good slices available.

Having said that, I highly recommend Pizza Bouquet in Little Italy. Hours are limited and they make only 40 doughs and night, but man oh man is it ever a proper slice. Not expensive either.

Reactions: Runner77

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
They've been popping up slowly. The city does a fine job with Neapolitan pies now, but there needs to be more good slices available.

Having said that, I highly recommend Pizza Bouquet in Little Italy. Hours are limited and they make only 40 doughs and night, but man oh man is it ever a proper slice. Not expensive either.
Il Focolaio is one of my favourite places to grab food after work if I'm staying downtown for a movie or something at the Bell Centre. Pizzeria Napoletana is also great too. I've heard good things about Bouquet before but I've never been.

Montreal does pizza by the slice or the crappy greasy pizza you want for delivery while drinking and watching hockey horribly though. When I lived downtown, I used to order from a place called Mama's that was alright, but now that I'm on the South Shore, I have a ton of options to choose from.

Reactions: GlassesJacketShirt

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
There is a fairly extensive argument thread about Montreal’s version of pizza... VS NYC. Fun times!

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
going to nyc next week with my kids...any suggestions where to go?

Unfortunately, I haven't tried that many as I've only been in New York for a day. I did get to try Joe's and Scarr's when I went, both seemed like the typical New York slice to me, very good stuff. My bucket list is the Spicy Spring from Prince Street Pizza.

My more experienced cousin swears by Lucali's, even with the insane wait times.

Reactions: overlords

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I got a sous vide for my birthday and I'm trying it for the first time. Pictures to follow!

Holy crap, this turned out so well!

Ic7szVV.jpg

W9mtBlx.jpg

HXfUvA7.jpg

5fHM0Bb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad