Jan 3, 2018
Holy crap, this turned out so well!

5fHM0Bb.jpg

That looks delicious.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
View attachment 327645

Spatchcock chicken (1/2) with espresso rub and espresso glaze. Side is oven roasted brussel sprouts with parmesan and carraway seeds.

That looks really good. I made a lobster salad today. They had lobster claws (frozen) for $8.98 per pound so I got a couple of pounds and I thawed about half over night in the fridge.

I made mayo using white balsamic vinegar with a tiny bit of lemon, then fresh dill, golden beets that I cooked and I cut up half of a beet (I ate a couple when they were cooked with French butter).
then I added some cut up pieces of a Sumo Mandarin to get a tiny bit of sweetness. It was really good and now I am hungry again after watching the sous vide of Le Tricolore and now your espresso rub and glaze. How do you make the glaze?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Thanks Per. It was the tastiest chicken I've cooked for a long time. The glaze has drip espresso coffee ( the rub uses fresh finely ground espresso beans) the zest of a large lemon, ketchup, smoked paprika, dark sugar, salt and pepper, dark mustard and hot sauce.

Your lobster salad sounds fantastic! Did you add it warm or cold to the salad? It's so Scandinavian with the beets and dill!

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That seems pretty low for meat, did you brown it after?

Always sear meat after sous vide. It adds flavor/texture.

Resources | Anova Culinary
Strip, Ribeye, and Porterhouse Steaks
Very Rare to Rare
: 120°F (49°C) to 128°F (53°C), 1 to 2 1/2 hours.
Medium-rare: 129°F (54°C) to 134°F (57°C), 1 to 4 hours (2 1/2 hours for temperatures under 130°F/57°C).
Medium: 135°F (57°C) to 144°F (62°C), 1 to 4 hours.
Medium-well: 145°F (63°C) to 155°F (68°C), 1 to 3 1/2 hours.
Well done: 156°F (69°C) and up, 1 to 3 hours.

Sous Vide channel I like on youtube plug: Sous Vide Everything

Reactions: peate

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Sweet brioche would be an ideal foil for a salty ham and hard, ripened cheese. The aioli should be enhanced with minced truffle, just enough, to maximize the flavor profile spectrum.

On a serious note, I had a Raspberry Cheesecake Sour beer yesterday. I'm unsure how I feel about it: it's journey from raspberry to graham cracker to vanilla to cream cheese flavours really was unique, a true multi-note concoction...…….but I don't like cheesecake.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treb and justafan22

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks Per. It was the tastiest chicken I've cooked for a long time. The glaze has drip espresso coffee ( the rub uses fresh finely ground espresso beans) the zest of a large lemon, ketchup, smoked paprika, dark sugar, salt and pepper, dark mustard and hot sauce.

Your lobster salad sounds fantastic! Did you add it warm or cold to the salad? It's so Scandinavian with the beets and dill!

The lobster was added cold, the beets I used were golden because I thought red ones would color the mayo too much and I steamed them and ate most with butter but I saved one for the salad to add some sweetness.

Edit.

I actually tried to copy (from memory) a shrimp salad I had when I was in Narvik way up north in the Arctic Circle of Norway (the trip up there between Sweden and Norway is amazingly beautiful) and they actually used sugar beets in the salad and I figured that the closest I could find in a store would be regular beets which are quite sweet as well.

Last edited:

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Since I saw aioli being mentioned, I figured I'd share how I make mine.

You'll need garlic, oil and salt. You'll also need a pestle and mortar. Regarding the oil, I like to use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil made from green olives, since I think the flavor profile compliments this aioli very well. I like that brand for that, since it's affordable and goes amazingly well with other things (cheeses and bread platters, notably). And regarding the salt, any kind can work too, but I like to go bold (as usual when I cook) and use a bit of black lava salt (not too much because I don't want the sulfuric taste to be overpowering) along with kosher or sea salt.

First step is obviously peeling the garlic cloves. Some will be kept raw, and the others will be roasted. The ratio of raw cloves to roasted cloves is up to you, really. I like 50/50, unless I'm making it just as a meat dipping sauce, in which case I go 100% raw. You can roast them in the oven, whole or cut in halves, or you can fry them in a pan. Be wary that if you fry them, they might get crispy and become really hard to grind - you'll want to remove them from the pan before this happens and proceed with the next step really fast.

In a mortar and pestle, start by adding the raw cloves (ideally cut in quarters or something to ease the grinding process) and add your salt (to your liking - it also helps the grinding process). Start grinding using the same energy @Mrb1p has when it comes to hating Danault. At some point add in your roasted/fried garlic, and continue grinding until you get a paste with no large chunks. You can remove manually the large chunks from the roasted garlic that won't grind if they're really too large.

At that stage, start to add your oil in very small batches, grinding/mixing until emulsified before adding another batch. As you grind, it will get smoother and smoother. Continue doing that (add oil, grind) until you get the desired thickness, consistency and taste.

It's based on a traditional aioli (just garlic, salt and olive oil), which can be too pungeant for some uses, hence why I started incorporating roasted garlic.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Il Focolaio is one of my favourite places to grab food after work if I'm staying downtown for a movie or something at the Bell Centre. Pizzeria Napoletana is also great too. I've heard good things about Bouquet before but I've never been.

Montreal does pizza by the slice or the crappy greasy pizza you want for delivery while drinking and watching hockey horribly though. When I lived downtown, I used to order from a place called Mama's that was alright, but now that I'm on the South Shore, I have a ton of options to choose from.
A ton of options on the shore? Where?
Someone recommended Larumeur once and I no longer speak to them because of that lol.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Gonna head down to Quebec City this week, any tips on trendy spots to hit for late-20s mid-30s crowd?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Since I saw aioli being mentioned, I figured I'd share how I make mine.

You'll need garlic, oil and salt. You'll also need a pestle and mortar. Regarding the oil, I like to use cold pressed extra virgin olive oil made from green olives, since I think the flavor profile compliments this aioli very well. I like that brand for that, since it's affordable and goes amazingly well with other things (cheeses and bread platters, notably). And regarding the salt, any kind can work too, but I like to go bold (as usual when I cook) and use a bit of black lava salt (not too much because I don't want the sulfuric taste to be overpowering) along with kosher or sea salt.

First step is obviously peeling the garlic cloves. Some will be kept raw, and the others will be roasted. The ratio of raw cloves to roasted cloves is up to you, really. I like 50/50, unless I'm making it just as a meat dipping sauce, in which case I go 100% raw. You can roast them in the oven, whole or cut in halves, or you can fry them in a pan. Be wary that if you fry them, they might get crispy and become really hard to grind - you'll want to remove them from the pan before this happens and proceed with the next step really fast.

In a mortar and pestle, start by adding the raw cloves (ideally cut in quarters or something to ease the grinding process) and add your salt (to your liking - it also helps the grinding process). Start grinding using the same energy @Mrb1p has when it comes to hating Danault. At some point add in your roasted/fried garlic, and continue grinding until you get a paste with no large chunks. You can remove manually the large chunks from the roasted garlic that won't grind if they're really too large.

At that stage, start to add your oil in very small batches, grinding/mixing until emulsified before adding another batch. As you grind, it will get smoother and smoother. Continue doing that (add oil, grind) until you get the desired thickness, consistency and taste.

It's based on a traditional aioli (just garlic, salt and olive oil), which can be too pungeant for some uses, hence why I started incorporating roasted garlic.
LMAO I cried

Reactions: Kairi Zaide

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
A ton of options on the shore? Where?
Someone recommended Larumeur once and I no longer speak to them because of that lol.
For the big greasy pizza? There's Jenni's in St. Hubert. Como in La Prarie, Jacques Cartier pizza all over the place. Miss Italia in Greenfield Park from what I remember too.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Gonna head down to Quebec City this week, any tips on trendy spots to hit for late-20s mid-30s crowd?

There's the old city and...…….well quite frankly that's mostly it. Just walk around long enough and you'll find an interesting restaurant or eatery. I recommend Paillard of course for their various croissants and pastries, went there every day I was in Quebec City because their croissants were as good as any I've had in France.

Otherwise, L'Atelier is a classy option for cocktails and tartars. There's this restaurant called Chez Muffy that used to be called La Panache when I went there, excellent choice in an intriguing old warehouse location, haven't been in anything like it since, but it ain't cheap.

A little outside of downtown corridor lies the Emporium Microbrasserie, I enjoyed their brews last year and they make solid Neapolitan pies, modern vibe.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Always sear meat after sous vide. It adds flavor/texture.

Resources | Anova Culinary
Strip, Ribeye, and Porterhouse Steaks
Very Rare to Rare
: 120°F (49°C) to 128°F (53°C), 1 to 2 1/2 hours.
Medium-rare: 129°F (54°C) to 134°F (57°C), 1 to 4 hours (2 1/2 hours for temperatures under 130°F/57°C).
Medium: 135°F (57°C) to 144°F (62°C), 1 to 4 hours.
Medium-well: 145°F (63°C) to 155°F (68°C), 1 to 3 1/2 hours.
Well done: 156°F (69°C) and up, 1 to 3 hours.

Sous Vide channel I like on youtube plug: Sous Vide Everything

SVE and GF are the best(same guy). He's what got me into sous vide. Such high quality production value when he cooks food.

Last edited:
Reactions: Treb
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad