Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Looks really good.
Thank you.

It came out pretty well. Both I and my significant other enjoyed it with a glass of white wine.

What made the difference were primarily the fresh (uncooked) Chinese noodles I pick up from a nearby restaurant time to time. Such a satisfying chew on those, dry version can't compare.

If I had to nitpick I'd say that I put the zucchini in too soon. It needed about one minute less in the pan IMO. The rest of the veg was cooked to my liking though.

Also, the dish was screaming for some ginger, but what I found in the depths of my fridge at the time of cooking was past its prime to put it mildly. :laugh:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Thank you.

It came out pretty well. Both I and my significant other enjoyed it with a glass of white wine.

What made the difference were primarily the fresh (uncooked) Chinese noodles I pick up from a nearby restaurant time to time. Such a satisfying chew on those, dry version can't compare.

If I had to nitpick I'd say that I put the zucchini in too soon. It needed about one minute less in the pan IMO. The rest of the veg was cooked to my liking though.

Also, the dish was screaming for some ginger, but what I found in the depths of my fridge at the time of cooking was past its prime to put it mildly. :laugh:

Just keep some ginger in the freezer and replace after a few months if not used. Easier to grate when frozen as well,no need to remove the skin.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This is quick dinner tonight.

Noodles with zucchini, bell peppers, mushrooms, scallions and garlic, stir fried with soy, tomato paste and Sambal Oelek.

Similar to the Udon dish I had the other night,minus the protein. Not far from where these guys hang out. lol.

images

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
What does everyone typically have for breakfast?

I'm not asking for vegan only suggestions, but hoping I could spot something in your posts that doesn't contain animal derived proteins and/or dairy.

My bowl of plain oatmeal and avocado toast is getting a little stale after a few years of eating it most every morning.

I don't eat breakfast during weekdays apart from coffee and 2 small biscottis dunked in coffee or at times in very black tea. During weekends I make oat porridge AKA oatmeal here in the US. I use steel cut organic oats from Trader Joes, I mix it with dried blueberries, dried cranberries or dried strawberries (organic from CostCo), then chopped pecans or walnuts, lots of cardamon ground roughly in a mortar or bought already ground from a middle eastern store. It's so good, sometimes I add a little cinnamon which goes nicely with the cardamon.
I have been down with some sort of barfing flu for 2 days where I kept throwing up so I didn't eat for 2 days and now I am hungry.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
My birthday's coming up in a few days so my wife made me an excellent meal today (since doing something like this on a work day is dumb)

20mWUbV.jpg

Mmmm. Is that baked beef tenderloin? It looks fantastic, I feel right now I could finish that dinner in 5 minutes, that is how hungry I am after not having eaten for 2 days. I know I have to start easy after being sick but still that looks do delicious. OK, time to drink some bouillon and eat some apple sauce, sigh!

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Mmmm. Is that baked beef tenderloin? It looks fantastic, I feel right now I could finish that dinner in 5 minutes, that is how hungry I am after not having eaten for 2 days. I know I have to start easy after being sick but still that looks do delicious. OK, time to drink some bouillon and eat some apple sauce, sigh!

It's a beef Wellington from what I can gather from the picture.

Reactions: larrypacman8167

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Definitely. I tried it at his restaurant in Vegas nearly seven years ago, and this came very, very close.
The beef looks cooked perfectly, the pastry is flakey and there's little separation between the 3 layers (beef, duxelles and pastry).

Very impressive!

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just keep some ginger in the freezer and replace after a few months if not used. Easier to grate when frozen as well,no need to remove the skin.

It's good to put in pickles (one shaved little piece in each jar), not for the flavor but for the preservation, horse radish if you can find it fresh is even better and adds a nice flavor. I always have a couple of those roots in the fridge, they stay good for a long time as well. Then I make a Swedish horse radish beef/lamp/veal (see pic) dish and grate some, much better than the one that can be bought in jars.

pepparrotskott_980.jpg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
She used his recipe!

My mother who was a sous chef made it once for my friends and I when I was about 24-25 and it was sublime. I bought all the ingredients and she made a small sandwich torta as an appetizer, it was made from arctic Atlantic shrimps, they are caught from Maine up north all the way to the Northeast Atlantic as well, I sometimes buy 12 pounds imported from Canada in a Japanese grocery store. Anyway it had those shrimps (Pandalus Borealis) and smoked salmon slices with horse radish whipped cream, lots of dill and a little bit of mayo for the shrimps and finally egg halves on top with salmon roe.

Damn you Le Tricolore, I am having hunger hallucinations right now! :)

Reactions: angusyoung

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
My mother who was a sous chef made it once for my friends and I when I was about 24-25 and it was sublime. I bought all the ingredients and she made a small sandwich torta as an appetizer, it was made from arctic Atlantic shrimps, they are caught from Maine up north all the way to the Northeast Atlantic as well, I sometimes buy 12 pounds imported from Canada in a Japanese grocery store. Anyway it had those shrimps (Pandalus Borealis) and smoked salmon slices with horse radish whipped cream, lots of dill and a little bit of mayo for the shrimps and finally egg halves on top with salmon roe.

Damn you Le Tricolore, I am having hunger hallucinations right now! :)
that all sounds so good. the horse radish whipped creams sounds incredible.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Made a trip to Le Centrale downtown, gave three spots a try:

1. Chez Milo & Fine: Cantine Bretonne
Order: Kouign-Amann and Breton Butter Cake
Thoughts: Both items hit the spot: we're talking butter and sugar and salt in the most delicious way possible.
Score: 8.3

2. Heirloom Pizzeria
Order: Margherita Pizza
Thoughts: Crust was pitch perfect, sauce was pretty good, but they really need to put more cheese next time. Might as well have been a Marinara.
Score: 6.1

3. Trou de Beigne
Order: Varied Donuts
Thoughts: Mini-Donuts are tasty, though not overly special, and at their going rate I cannot recommend this place. Better off with Cremy or Krispy Kreme.
Score: 4.1

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
My roommate is a graduated cook and sommelier, who has worked in the past with a Michelin-starred chef and now serves in a top 10 restaurant in the country, so if I need any advice on food or wine I just shout his name across the appartment. Bretty cool.

Alright then :naughty:

Can you ask him for a shortlist Reds between 20-40$ from France/Italy/Spain/Switzerland?

Cheers!

Reactions: angusyoung

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Made a trip to Le Centrale downtown, gave three spots a try:

1. Chez Milo & Fine: Cantine Bretonne
Order: Kouign-Amann and Breton Butter Cake
Thoughts: Both items hit the spot: we're talking butter and sugar and salt in the most delicious way possible.
Score: 8.3

2. Heirloom Pizzeria
Order: Margherita Pizza
Thoughts: Crust was pitch perfect, sauce was pretty good, but they really need to put more cheese next time. Might as well have been a Marinara.
Score: 6.1

3. Trou de Beigne
Order: Varied Donuts
Thoughts: Mini-Donuts are tasty, though not overly special, and at their going rate I cannot recommend this place. Better off with Cremy or Krispy Kreme.
Score: 4.1

Nothing beats living the healthy life style.:thumbu::thumbu:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Alright then :naughty:

Can you ask him for a shortlist Reds between 20-40$ from France/Italy/Spain/Switzerland?

Cheers!

And what pairs better with 2003 late autumn harvest white Rieslin selected from the western part of Pfalz region of Germany, as if anyone could answer that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad