OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It's not raw like this video says, it is put in salt and cured for some time and they are good eating.
We eat a lot of herring in Sweden as well and I have made traditional pickled herring and it is way better than bought ones.
In Sweden and in the US at IKEA you can have gravlax which is sugar salted cured salmon filet (cracked pepper and lots of dill as well). My US born son loves it and it is so good.
I made it myself once and it only takes 2-3 days.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
It's not raw like this video says, it is put in salt and cured for some time and they are good eating.
We eat a lot of herring in Sweden as well and I have made traditional pickled herring and it is way better than bought ones.
In Sweden and in the US at IKEA you can have gravlax which is sugar salted cured salmon filet (cracked pepper and lots of dill as well). My US born son loves it and it is so good.
I made it myself once and it only takes 2-3 days.

To translate: Lecke? (good?) Lecke! (Very good!)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
All cities with access to the North Atlantic (North Sea) or the Baltic Sea eat herring. I have had similar herring in Hamburg and even in Munich although it is far from a fishing port. I did not eat the tail fin though. They are bony spines or rays held together by skin and not very appetizing.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
All cities with access to the North Atlantic (North Sea) or the Baltic Sea eat herring. I have had similar herring in Hamburg and even in Munich although it is far from a fishing port. I did not eat the tail fin though. They are bony spines or rays held together by skin and not very appetizing.

Those parts (fins) are only edible after being in strong brine - that would be a high quality, very acidic brine (not white vinegar in plastic jugs)that dissolves the bone and cartilage over the brining period. Even then, the texture isn't pleasant.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Is this seriously a Dutch custom?

That's the traditional way,but usually like this
upload_2020-12-5_12-37-23.jpeg

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Just 18 days left until Christmas and the traditional pickled herring. Looking forward to binging on six different types of it and not eating it again until Easter.

Christmas, Easter and Midsummer.

Edit: Midsummer, aka Midsommar like in that fine documentary film from 2019 when we sacrifice North Americans in ritualistic killings just like in that documentary . :sarcasm:

Just tested if my vaporizer still worked, yep it did.o_O

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
It’s all gone. Absolutely, I would buy it again. As I try different cheeses? My favorite is the 8 year old stuff from Quebec.

Can you please share the source where you got the 8 year old cheese from in Quebec? What type of cheese was it?

I second that; I know you had a really aged and great tasting cheddar (pics). What is this 8 year old stuff from Quebec about?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
We use läcker for delicious (must have the same root) and we also did say it for beautiful women when I grew up (not sure they still do). Of course it also means leaking like rain from a roof with holes.

Very similar,we use lekker in reference to tasty,delicious,but also for women,makes sense in a way.:naughty:
We don't have leaks in roofs in Holland though:razz::laugh::jk:

That's the last thing needed,got enough issues with water already.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Well said! I know, I couldn't help tearing up when reading your reply. The same with me, I would offer years of my life to be with Snoop some more time. In a sense it is even worse with a dog or cat. They love you and they can't hide it since they are honest, and you will need to make that horrible decision. When I called and scheduled with the vet I could barely make myself understandable for all the crying. I even postponed it one more day so I could be with him. I spent the last night sobbing and hugging him on the floor and he licked my tears. I will never forget that day. Oh boy I am crying right now. he was such a wonderful albeit somewhat angry (vets and strangers, that was the Chow in him) boy. At his peak below he was beautiful and he took the cold water of the Pacific like I would take bath water.

View attachment 377494
1st time back here since my last post, i wasn't ready for the replies or likes untill now, went back into some pretty bad depression because i exposed myself quite a bit int that post, thanks a bunch, it's always "comforting" to know people who felt as close to their "pet" sry i just don't like the word for him (I've had plenty of pets, and i love animals in general) he was family not a pet... Thank all of you who understand, i kinda needed to let it out i appreciate reading from people who understand... Like you said groove (i didn't have a dad growing up myself and i do not want to compare in any way), i must say i respect your vision of "a good long life" I share your view and it helps a lot, it's going to take some time (a lot) for me to accept what i did, or did not do... I can still see myself almost jump over him, just leaving like "k see ya later"... Can't go back and fix it... The only thing left is accepting and forgiving i guess... I will stop posting/answering about this but thanks again

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
So yesterday I sous vided ribs then breaded and fried them.

The concept wasn't bad but for anyone who would ever try this type of odd rib dish I recommend searing the ribs between sous vide and deep frying.

Some fat did not render and it dropped the quality a bit.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
So yesterday I sous vided ribs then breaded and fried them.

The concept wasn't bad but for anyone who would ever try this type of odd rib dish I recommend searing the ribs between sous vide and deep frying.

Some fat did not render and it dropped the quality a bit.

Breaded,deep fried ribs? didn't know that was a thing TBO.

Reactions: groovejuice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad