OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I’ve been looking around for which jar of olives to buy, to get my brine.

Before I bought, I went to a local store that sells olives by weight. Each type of olive is in its own bin, sitting in its own particular brine.

Some brine is more oily, while others have a more acidic taste. Some brine is clear as water while some other is murky. Some comes from black olives, some was with green olives. And some brine is infused with flavours on account of being stuffed (pimento, garlic, etc.) or is hot due to hot pepper seeds being mixed in.

I found out that the store I was at would give me brine for free and they’d even let me choose which ones I wanted. I went with a mix of oily and acidic, and clear and murky, from both green and black olives but avoided infused flavours and hot pepper.

I had no idea that collecting brine would offer so many choices.

What would you have chosen as your mixture? I’m also left wondering how long I can keep my brine. I’m getting my alcohol tomorrow so I can try it.

Not so easy, thought that bars would use the jarred plain green olives in brine that most stores have,cheapest and easiest,but I'm no bartender for sure.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
The thing is that it should really be stored in the freezer so it is like a thick yellowish/clear oily looking fluid. At room temperature the wormwood and caraway get too overpowering in my opinion. But straight from the freezer and bottoms up into the belly will leave a nice warm taste when breathing out, if you're still alive that is.

The spelling reminded me of advocaat,but not the same at all.

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I would probably have tasted it if possible but I always go with the kalamata olives I get from Trader Joe's that are not oily. Not because I don't like the ones that are in an oily brine but more that the one I use is easier to mix with the alcohol and the oily ones make perhaps the drink itself a bit thick and oily?. The one I use/used is very salty and semi dark browninsh looking.

Kalamata are the best for eating!I still have a few jars left,gonna have to make more soon though.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not so easy, thought that bars would use the jarred plain green olives in brine that most stores have,cheapest and easiest,but I'm no bartender for sure.

I was a little confused by the whole acidic vs. oily brine choice -- I mean, is there really any brine that doesn't contain one or the other or both?

angusyoung

Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I was a little confused by the whole acidic vs. oily brine choice -- I mean, is there really any brine that doesn't contain one or the other or both?

I don't make those type drinks,but I would never use the olive brine I have for consumption and put it in a drink,way to oily,but perhaps it's an acquired taste?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone was saying earlier in this thread, that there is no other use for Sambuca than adding it in coffee. It's too sweet to drink alone.

However, if you mix it with a sour alcohol, it produces a whole other result.

Try it in shots: 1/2 Sambuca and 1/2 Grappa.

I think you might be able to store Sambuca and Grappa in your freezer -- love it in an icy state.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Something you don't do twice:)

Should be good,like one of KFC's sandwiches,I suspect they use the same coating and perhaps put some cayenne into the coating if they make hot sandwiches.

Not sure how shrooms can be helpful for anything other than just having fun.

They used to be legal in NL and you could get them at some coffeeshops and it was so groovy actually. Black-light over aquariums with a variety from all over the world,it was a very cool and chill atmosphere.

I know, it is a pain to make them. Maybe not like Beijing Duck but you need to start the day before. Then the spice mix that you use is like 9 or 10 different spices that need to be mixed together and I only made it once even though it was pretty tasty (I used 2 whole large fat chicken cut into pieces).

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Eggnog and brandy,delicious! thick and creamy, put some whipped cream and eat with a spoon. A very typical Dutch Christmas time after dinner drink/dessert.

See them walking around with rosy Dutch cheeks and fall over those giant cheese blocks in their giant clogs screaming: "Vrolijk Kerstfeest!"

Reactions: angusyoung

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Had some tuna steak. Made some air fried small potatoes, I just cut them in pieces, sprayed some olive oil and poured some kosher salt over them.. Made some tartar sauce and added some Mexican sour cream. Jack got a steak as well.

Tuna.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad