OT: The Food & Drinks Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Made a classic Georgian fried eggplant dish with coriander leaves and garlic gremolata. Sure, it's not the healthiest by any means as eggplant (my favourite vegetable) absorbs oil like a sponge. But when eaten cold (that is key) on a piece of toast it is heavenly.

View attachment 374349

Excellent work my friend! Looks delicious!

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Looks like it worked well. :)
Yeah, absolutely. Even after spending a few hours in the fridge and after being re-heated in the microwave.

I was a bit worried about the bottom layer mix being to acid (eggplant, mushrooms, onions, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar, vegetable stock), but when eaten with my "korean bolognese" (which is fatty) it balances out quite well. The texture is totally different from a typical lasagna, as expected, but the chewyness is definitely a plus since it makes you salivate in a way and it releases some of the sauce it had absorbed.

The moment of truth will be tomorrow after a full day in the fridge. I have 3 portions left, so hopefully it lasts 3 more days.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yeah, absolutely. Even after spending a few hours in the fridge and after being re-heated in the microwave.

I was a bit worried about the bottom layer mix being to acid (eggplant, mushrooms, onions, garlic, ginger, rice wine vinegar, vegetable stock), but when eaten with my "korean bolognese" (which is fatty) it balances out quite well. The texture is totally different from a typical lasagna, as expected, but the chewyness is definitely a plus since it makes you salivate in a way and it releases some of the sauce it had absorbed.

The moment of truth will be tomorrow after a full day in the fridge. I have 3 portions left, so hopefully it lasts 3 more days.

I'll have to create some Asian burritos using your success as inspiration! I know that the rice paper can be successfully used for deep dried lumpia, so perhaps I should have realized that it's not as delicate as I thought.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Made a classic Georgian fried eggplant dish with coriander leaves and garlic gremolata. Sure, it's not the healthiest by any means as eggplant (my favourite vegetable) absorbs oil like a sponge. But when eaten cold (that is key) on a piece of toast it is heavenly.

View attachment 374349

You could always just brush oil one side at time and using a non-stick pan and sear and then bake in the oven till tender,doesn't absorb oil much that way.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Could not attend Ribfest this year. So in the oven they went!

20201024_105924.jpg

20201024_140845.jpg

20201024_181008.jpg

20201026_191624.jpg

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I didn't realize you were a little girl child...suddenly a lot of your posts make more sense.
:sarcasm:
You really laid on the sauce thick, Bon appetit to you both mate.

:laugh:

If she posted on here, let's see... since we got kicked out by Philly, all you would see is 'Daddy's team is not playing. Not today' ...on a daily basis.

During the pandemic she saw "old daddy's team" against the Nordiques and the Flames too. :skeptic:

We made way too much sauce. She loved mixing stuff together but then it got too sweet, re-balanced, too spicy, re-balanced... ended up with a bucket full of it. I plan on trying it on chicken wings when the big packs of raw wings go on sale. The ribs were on sale at $13.23 for a big double rack sort of thing; that made 2 big dinners and 1 lunch for me, plus 1 dinner for her. She liked the sauce but not a fan overall lol. If you add some mashed potato to the bill you end up at about $5.00 per meal, it's not bad.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
:laugh:

If she posted on here, let's see... since we got kicked out by Philly, all you would see is 'Daddy's team is not playing. Not today' ...on a daily basis.

During the pandemic she saw "old daddy's team" against the Nordiques and the Flames too. :skeptic:

We made way too much sauce. She loved mixing stuff together but then it got too sweet, re-balanced, too spicy, re-balanced... ended up with a bucket full of it. I plan on trying it on chicken wings when the big packs of raw wings go on sale. The ribs were on sale at $13.23 for a big double rack sort of thing; that made 2 big dinners and 1 lunch for me, plus 1 dinner for her. She liked the sauce but not a fan overall lol. If you add some mashed potato to the bill you end up at about $5.00 per meal, it's not bad.

Ahah cute kid.

Not bad for the wallet, terrible for the gut.
I'm not the biggest fan of ribs but they are tasty when done just right.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Ahah cute kid.

Not bad for the wallet, terrible for the gut.
I'm not the biggest fan of ribs but they are tasty when done just right.

Yeah I had forgotten you were in the fitness business. Ribs definitely not a healthy pick. And it's true that a lot of the meals featured here have been healthy, so sorry for not fitting in very well.

With this weird metabolism I eat ribs, steaks, wings, pasta all week and typically 10-12 chocolate bars as well. 4-5 coffees a day, which is about 3/4 of a pot on the machine. I joined via mil coll so the fitness component came early with the workouts and the tests at RMC. Then came the 2 CMBG Ironman in 2009 in Pet, just because the CO wanted all the Jr O's to compete for the Sqn. More recently I crashed my 350Z in the rain at 10 PM, complicated towing ordeal took over 2 hours and I live in the country -- that was an impromptu 28 km run/walk in the pouring rain at 2h30 AM, I mean the run became a walk about 10 k into it because my left calf cramped. I slept just short of 10 hours straight when I got home at 6 AM. I went for that drive about 2 hours after a huge plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, and I had 2 bottles of Eska water with me in the car. I'm 5'8" 140 lbs, and have been exactly that for over 17 years.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Yeah I had forgotten you were in the fitness business. Ribs definitely not a healthy pick. And it's true that a lot of the meals featured here have been healthy, so sorry for not fitting in very well.

With this weird metabolism I eat ribs, steaks, wings, pasta all week and typically 10-12 chocolate bars as well. 4-5 coffees a day, which is about 3/4 of a pot on the machine. I joined via mil coll so the fitness component came early with the workouts and the tests at RMC. Then came the 2 CMBG Ironman in 2009 in Pet, just because the CO wanted all the Jr O's to compete for the Sqn. More recently I crashed my 350Z in the rain at 10 PM, complicated towing ordeal took over 2 hours and I live in the country -- that was an impromptu 28 km run/walk in the pouring rain at 2h30 AM, I mean the run became a walk about 10 k into it because my left calf cramped. I slept just short of 10 hours straight when I got home at 6 AM. I went for that drive about 2 hours after a huge plate of spaghetti with meat sauce, and I had 2 bottles of Eska water with me in the car. I'm 5'8" 140 lbs, and have been exactly that for over 17 years.

I'm not judging mate...I eat a lot of junk too, especially this year with this crap pandemic. My abs are long gone.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
For sure, but when one is in a need of an indulgence one wants greasy and tasty things. :naughty:

I don't deep-fry often, but when I do.... :laugh:

So true! I have eggplants semi often fried and then put in a salsa sprinkled with feta. Recently was informed that the recipe actually originates from Zakinthos,was always wondering about it's origin.Not true to the actual recipe,but still great. Don't remember ever having it in Zakinthos though and have been there often enough. Unfortunately or is it fortunately?:dunno: the mrs. can't be around so I am eating as I like and not monitored and scolded for the time being.
7978821.jpg

Skordostoumbi - Zakynthos Garlicky Eggplant | Greek Food - Greek Cooking - Greek Recipes by Diane Kochilas

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
There is a way to prevent eggplant from absorbing oil almost entirely. That is if you brush the slices with whipped egg-whites before frying. It works, I've tested it personally. Makes for a much healthier dish.

Unfortunately that isn't an option for me being a vegan.

P.S. Your suggestions sound like a fun experiment for me to attempt some time very soon. ;)
Get an air fryer! Seriously, I love mine! No grease or oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad