The Flyers Draft 7th; Who Do You Want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Crouse doesn't have Morins upside. Big factor. The last two 1st round picks were upside picks.

But are you certain the Flyers scouts don't think Crouse has significant upside? Or that Morin's upside was higher than Ristolainen or Nurse? I was pretty high on Nurse, and that was probably mostly subjective, but he played on heck of a WJC.

Upside is a pretty elusive metric for prospects. Plus, I could argue that Crouse is an easier pick than Morin because he has achieved some of the upside that the Flyers covet and they have to rely less on crystal balls and pig entrails, while still having room to mature.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I added 9lbs of muscle over the past 3 months with diet and exercise and I'm not even training for anything. In that time, I've gotten faster, stronger, and more athletic. I'm 5'7 and 27. A guy with 4 inches on me and a proper regiment + diet should have no problem putting on that kind of weight. At 20 he should have no problem adding weight. He also MUST add that type of weight, how many defense man are in the NHL and weigh in below 180lbs?

It is not a good thing to be 5'11 and 160 at the NHL level.
Erik Karlsson was a rookie weighing just over 160, now he's just over 180 and still incredibly fast. The amount of weight added is relative to the amount of strength gained. I wouldn't be surprised if hes faster with better lateral movement.

Brian Campbell 5'10/190
Ducan Keith 6'1/192 lbs
Sydney Crosby 5'11/200 lbs
Mason Raymond 6'0/185 lbs
Michael Grabner 6'1/202 lbs
Matt Duchene 5'11/200 lbs

Those are some of the fastest skaters in the league. See a pattern here? (end of argument)

I would add:

Carl Hagelin 5'11/186 lbs
Darren Helm 6'0/196 lbs
Nathan MacKinnon 6'0/195lbs
Phil Kessel 6'0/202lbs
Taylor Hall 6'1/198lbs

It is really not 'that' hard to add 20lbs in 6 months or so and maintain a similar body fat %. I have personal experience... in ~8 months when I was 19 I went from ~170lbs to ~192lbs, and only increased my body fat by 2-3%. That being said it did not actually help my water polo (which I intended it to)! As my stamina in water was worse so I could not play as much of a game as I did before... but I was quicker over 25m, 50m and 100m in water... and faster over 100m on land, and ofc far stronger. That was however me doing it on my own with limited input from my old clubs dietician/personal trainer (mainly by email) with a pro level coaching and fitness staff that amount of weight should be able to be added without much problem I reckon.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
I went from 145lbs to 165lbs over one summer (probably 4-5lbs fat) and my football coach accused me of going on steroids! It is possible with proper training and diet. (Later I went from a 4.9 40y to a 4.6 over the course of a winter, so improving your first step quickly is possible as well).

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
i'm 6'5", and i was a vegetarian for 8 years, when i started eating meat again i was a size 30 waist... i went to a size 34 within a year, and now even that's getting a tad tight :laugh: #fatass

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
With what I read about Zacha the last couple of pages from you all, I wonder if it will be the 2nd time the Flyers miss out on a Jagr-esque kind of a player when he's available at #7 and they go out and pick someone else.

With all my preference for Rantanen I really start to warm up on Zacha.

On D, Hanifin taken aside, it's still Provorov all the way.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Is it draft day yet?

Man this is going to be a long 2 months especially since most of the prospects are done playing. So really...we have all the infor we are going to get on these kids until the combine(not that a lot is determined from that)

CutOnDime97

Too Showman
Mar 29, 2008
I went from 145lbs to 165lbs over one summer (probably 4-5lbs fat) and my football coach accused me of going on steroids! It is possible with proper training and diet. (Later I went from a 4.9 40y to a 4.6 over the course of a winter, so improving your first step quickly is possible as well).

What kind of diet? Just curious.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Is it draft day yet?

Man this is going to be a long 2 months especially since most of the prospects are done playing. So really...we have all the infor we are going to get on these kids until the combine(not that a lot is determined from that)

And more than five months till the next regular season game.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
What kind of diet? Just curious.

It was a product called the Dash Building Box (similar to Cybergenics, but a much simpler workout). It was over the counter 25 years ago, but I suspect that some of the ingredients may be illegal today. I can't remember the diet specifics. A few years later, when I still played football, I do recall consuming 5,000 calories a day with as much protein as possible.

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
Is it draft day yet?

You still have the Memorial Cup.

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
Just read an article on Provorov on Philly.com on the new Russian factor.Hextall said he was fine with drafting a Russian(old stereotype gone) but that the KHL was something they had to factor in.I hope not. If Provorov is >>>> others than pick him

sharpeye97

Aug 8, 2013
It will probably be the guy that a select few have chosen.

How many picked Morin in 2013 or Sanheim in 2014? Very few.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I wouldn't even trade Tampa's pick for him

That's just insane. The pick is likely going to be somewhere in the 26-30 range. Burakovsky's already playing in the NHL at 19-20 & just scratching the surface. You'd be lucky to get that type of player that late.

I wouldn't trade our pick for him but the Tampa one you do everyday of the week with no questions asked. Washington very likely wouldn't go for that though.

Last edited:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That's just insane. The pick is likely going to be somewhere in the 26-30 range. Burakovsky's already playing in the NHL at 19-20 & just scratching the surface. You'd be lucky to get that type of player that late.

I wouldn't trade our pick for him but the Tampa one you do everyday of the week with no questions asked. Washington very likely wouldn't go for that though.

I think Burakosky is going to be better than any forward drafted 7 or later. I actually don't think the caps would even entertain that trade unfortunately.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
Gonna be interesting indeed re: New Jersey. Hired ray Shero, and they have come out and said they like their d and are looking. For more offense. Guys like werenski and provorov should be avail. And if hanifanhanifan some how slips, hexy is gonna be almost forced to take d, with 1a.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
what would people think of a Burakovsky for 7th overall proposal? This kid is going to be be special.

Not appealing, one bit, at all.

I wouldn't even trade Tampa's pick for him

Terrible value. Not a ****ing chance.

i have to bump this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad