TV: The Flash (CW)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
This show is so much better than Gotham. Not where Arrow is now at though. Damn, you Yanks have it good on Tuesday evenings, Flash and AoS back-to-back on tv... Would have been comicbook fan's dream back in the day.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
With the exception of the ending (which I'm fine with because it sets up some interesting elements going forward), the majority of the last episode and the pilot have been pretty light in tone. Not necessarily cheery, happy, everything is awesome, but they clearly think they can have Barry be bothered by a few things without turning into an angsty, whining wreck, and still generally enjoy the fact that he has the opportunity to really make a difference as the Flash. Hopefully they keep that tone up, because as much as I like Arrow, it's nice to have Flash's more optimistic, upbeat tone and attitude as a counterpoint to the darker, grittier Arrow vibe. Plus it goes a little bit of a way toward showing that you don't need to make everything super dark and gritty in order for it to be "realistic" and popular.

Flash is sort of like the Superman to Arrow's Batman, tonally. I think it's a good balance.

likewall32

**putt meem hear**
Feb 6, 2006
Central PA
With the exception of the ending (which I'm fine with because it sets up some interesting elements going forward), the majority of the last episode and the pilot have been pretty light in tone. Not necessarily cheery, happy, everything is awesome, but they clearly think they can have Barry be bothered by a few things without turning into an angsty, whining wreck, and still generally enjoy the fact that he has the opportunity to really make a difference as the Flash. Hopefully they keep that tone up, because as much as I like Arrow, it's nice to have Flash's more optimistic, upbeat tone and attitude as a counterpoint to the darker, grittier Arrow vibe. Plus it goes a little bit of a way toward showing that you don't need to make everything super dark and gritty in order for it to be "realistic" and popular.

Flash is sort of like the Superman to Arrow's Batman, tonally. I think it's a good balance.

The biggest contrast of the shows to me is the number of scenes during the day in the Flash vs the constant night action of Arrow. Fits those characters the way they've built them up very well.

Probably doesn't hurt that they can cover up that both shows are shot in Vancouver if they do it like that too. :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The biggest contrast of the shows to me is the number of scenes during the day in the Flash vs the constant night action of Arrow. Fits those characters the way they've built them up very well.

Probably doesn't hurt that they can cover up that both shows are shot in Vancouver if they do it like that too. :laugh:

Yeah, the day/night setup helps too. And it also helps that they're filming in very different areas of Vancouver for the most part (Flash is more downtown among the highrises while Arrow tends to be more in the industrial districts and slightly run-down areas of the city (when they're not on the rooftops or at Queen Consolidated). The biggest point of overlap seems to be BC Place Stadium, which functions as both a sports stadium in the Arrow verse, and is heavily CGI'd on its roof (adding physical structures and removing the armature wires for the roof support) to be the particle accelerator/STAR Labs facility in Flash.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
So far so good for Flash. I'll keep watching. And as another above mentioned, I think it's better than Gotham at this moment.

TheThrill81*

And the plot thickens...

Quite a few instances of possible foreshadowing in last night's episode.

TheThrill81*

I watch both, I think Gotham has already begun to hit its stride. The Flash will too.

Jan 3, 2012
I have enjoyed the past three episodes. However, him fight the 'oh look another superpowered guy who uses such powers for evil' of the week is already stale. If they want to keep viewers engaged they need to develop a plot overlooking the evil superpowered person of the week.

What they have started with 'get barry's dad out of jail' needs to get more interesting; and fast if that's the bait they're going to fish with for this season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I have enjoyed the past three episodes. However, him fight the 'oh look another superpowered guy who uses such powers for evil' of the week is already stale. If they want to keep viewers engaged they need to develop a plot overlooking the evil superpowered person of the week.

What they have started with 'get barry's dad out of jail' needs to get more interesting; and fast if that's the bait they're going to fish with for this season.

That does seem to be the direction they're going. Dealing with the truth about Barry's mom's murder seems to be of increasing importance with each episode. It will probably build and intersect with the truth about Wells, more history/secrets about what happened with the collider explosion (because let's be honest, the doctor girl's boyfriend/fiance isn't really dead, or he'll come back to life if he is), and maybe a plot thread about Det. Thawne because of Iris' relationship with him, the fact that he's supposed to to have some kind of secret and the potential significance of his name.

Thankfully it should all come to a head by the end of the season. The writers said they don't want to be one of those shows that strings people along for multiple years with the same questions. They intend to answer questions in due time and then ask new ones.

TheThrill81*

Good episode, it was nice to see Wentworth Miller on TV again.

And Felicity was, dare I say it, Smoakin. :sarcasm:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
This show is so much better than Gotham. Not where Arrow is now at though. Damn, you Yanks have it good on Tuesday evenings, Flash and AoS back-to-back on tv... Would have been comicbook fan's dream back in the day.

I'm a huge comic book fan but those do almost nothing to me. AoS, Flash, Gotham and Arrow. All pretty meh.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
spoilers regarding the end of tonight's episode and some personal speculation follow:

[spoil]So we're supposed to assume Wells is the Reverse-Flash? That's... kinda weak.

Once Cisco brought up that seems likely there were 2 speedsters in the house when Barry's mom was killed (which, now that I think of it, mirrors some of the stuff around Flash and his mom that led to the New 52 reboot from what I understand), and you see Wells with a Flash costume/signet ring, I thought we would find out that Wells is actually future Barry who's stayed back in the past to prevent R-F from screwing up the timeline anymore. And they could still then have R-F be something like future Eddie Thawne or his kid or something.

What, still doesn't make sense is that if Wells is R-F, how did he basically beat himself up? Even with everything you could credibly do with superspeed, appearing to be two different people in two places who are fully interacting with one another seems like it would be a stretch.[/spoil]

Jan 3, 2012
spoilers regarding the end of tonight's episode and some personal speculation follow:

[spoil]So we're supposed to assume Wells is the Reverse-Flash? That's... kinda weak.

Once Cisco brought up that seems likely there were 2 speedsters in the house when Barry's mom was killed (which, now that I think of it, mirrors some of the stuff around Flash and his mom that led to the New 52 reboot from what I understand), and you see Wells with a Flash costume/signet ring, I thought we would find out that Wells is actually future Barry who's stayed back in the past to prevent R-F from screwing up the timeline anymore. And they could still then have R-F be something like future Eddie Thawne or his kid or something.

What, still doesn't make sense is that if Wells is R-F, how did he basically beat himself up? Even with everything you could credibly do with superspeed, appearing to be two different people in two places who are fully interacting with one another seems like it would be a stretch.[/spoil]

[spoil] A lot of speculation on r/TheFlash about time travel being a factor in Wells potentially beating himself up. [/spoil]

Schecter

May 8, 2010
Amazing episode, this is my theory on the whole reverse flash issue..

[spoil]
There is not one, but two reverse flash's. One RF is Eobard Thawne (time traveling RF), the other Hunter Zolomon. For Eobard Thawne, the man in the yellow suit, there was one officer he did not touch when he attacked star labs. Detective Thawne.. The two characters must be connected in some way. The other RF, I believe is Hunter Zolomon aka Dr. Wells. In the comics, Hunter Zolomon was paralyzed by Gorilla Grood.. (remember the Grood reference early on with Dr. Wells?) Also, Hunter Zolomon wanted to make the Flash the best hero he could be in the comics. Dr. Wells also has a similar game plan. There have been instances in the comics where there have been 2 RF and 2 Flash's in one time line. Just a theory.. [/spoil]

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
One of my favorite shows. It should be getting much more love than it currently is.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
What a great episode!

That ending...and as someone said before me, I knew it! :laugh: Hate that guy.

Firestorm is wowzers too.

I get the feeling that Eddie is going to become a baddie down the road too. Something about him.

[spoil] And does the whole Sisko/Joe convo mean that it was Barry who was fighting the Reverse Flash, and in part is responsible for his mother's death? The tachyon thing was a dead giveaway for me, because they're supposed to be a hypothetical particle that are hypothesized to move faster than light. So, perhaps that's how the Reverse Flash/Flash time-traveled back to Barry's childhood, and that's where we're picking the story up? [/spoil]

Anyways, solid episode that had my attention firmly the entire time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad