TV: The Flash (CW)

TheThrill81*

I think you mean Cynthia Ettinger, who was in the unaired pilot as Martha.

This is correct. According to the book Smallville: Official Companion season 1, during filming of the pilot episode even Ettinger realized she wasn't right for the role.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Things I'm fearing:

- will there be "teenage drama" as in Arrow far too frequently(in the beginning)?
- will they find suitable villains for him to fight?
- previous CW show Smallville always seemed to spend their special FX budget before the season finale, often leading to very anti-climactic final fights. Trailer suggests a very heavy use of effects, will they have to cut corners by adding simple "powerless villains" too much?

i always felt that flash villains were kind of odd except for the reverse flash. if they stick with the comic villains at least i don't have a lot of hope.

Last edited:

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Good start to the series. I enjoyed it. Generally these kinds of shows(Smallville, Arrow, Lois&Clark, AoS) get better with time. So, it's a god sign that the show started off well. Plenty of room for growth and 'tighter product', but a solid start.

Will continue to watch.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Bump.

Finally watched the pilot over the weekend. Honestly.. I wasn't that impressed. It was a very plot-driven episode, with minimal if any character work. The Arrow visit felt very forced and had no setup done within the episode whatsoever (I don't watch Arrow so I don't know why Barry should know Oliver or why he felt the need to seek him out). Everything was just pilot-paint-by-numbers.

Hope it gets better.

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
Bump.

Finally watched the pilot over the weekend. Honestly.. I wasn't that impressed. It was a very plot-driven episode, with minimal if any character work. The Arrow visit felt very forced and had no setup done within the episode whatsoever (I don't watch Arrow so I don't know why Barry should know Oliver or why he felt the need to seek him out). Everything was just pilot-paint-by-numbers.

Hope it gets better.

Plot driven isn't out of the ordinary when trying to fit in an origin story into less than an hour's worth of screen time, including peripheral characters too. It couldn't be avoided imo.

The Arrow visit wasn't forced, because McQueen and Allen, had already met up in the Arrow series. Again you wouldn't have known that since you don't watch that series. It was a neat addition for those that do though. Allen assisted McQueen with something he was going through, and the favour was repaid. It's a neat side-story relationship between the 'heros' imo.

To each their own, but like I said earlier, many of these types of shows get stronger as they go. Arrow, is actually a perfect example of a show that may not have started out strong, but has become a solid show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad