TV: The Flash (CW)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
These two episodes were a victim of big promises that were impossible to deliver on a CW budget. They classified these episodes as an event but there have been better episodes of Flash, especially this season.

I hate to say it but it feels like Flash is pulling an Arrow lately with a disappointing back half of the season, while Arrow is enjoying a resurgence. I really hope Flash can do better than this because I still want to like the show but it's lost some of its charm from previous seasons.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
These two episodes were a victim of big promises that were impossible to deliver on a CW budget. They classified these episodes as an event but there have been better episodes of Flash, especially this season.

I hate to say it but it feels like Flash is pulling an Arrow lately with a disappointing back half of the season, while Arrow is enjoying a resurgence. I really hope Flash can do better than this because I still want to like the show but it's lost some of its charm from previous seasons.

Yeah, ape on ape violence didn't look very natural nor good.

The ending also felt awkward. You just have Savitar showing up out of nowhere like an RKO with Wally near by?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
TV shows can only do so much with a budget each season and each episode, I remember this from Star Trek; DS9 when the Dominion War space action cost a lot of money, so they have to use character moments to compensate.

That said, yeah the episode was only ok.

And it's funny the whole Wally/Savatar thing, you just had an episode of Supergirl where it was about their father coming back and not being trusted. Wally got his powers from Savatar and no one's been a little hesitant that maybe he'll eventually get possessed.

This season has been weak and besides the moments Earth 2 Wells and the Wally/Jesse relationship, pretty boring. It's still The Flash so it's still fun, but the writers really have to reassess what they want the show to be next season.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Wally, you stupid idiot!

tenor.gif

The heroes are so dumb on this show that I'm going to start rooting for the bad guys soon. :facepalm:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The emotional payoff in Tuesday's episode was immensely satisfying. You just had to know something bad was going to happen to Wally given the manner in which he got his powers. What happened to him at the end there was brutal, and it was definitely an emotional gut punch.

My gripe with the episode is one I'm seeing echoing around the internet - the writers for the show keep going back to the well with "the team keeping secrets from each other". That part is getting old and tiresome. The climax of the episode would have been just as strong if all the characters had been completely aware of everything that was going on.

Next episode sure looks intense too, from the preview.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Yeah I don't really have too many issues with the show as I have always enjoyed it a lot but this last secret with Caitlin having to be the one to betray them with the stone and her always saying she's 'becoming Killer Frost' is just meh.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I think that might be the best episode of Flash in 2017. Finally, we have direction leading to the end of the season and Barry has a new and much needed sense of focus to beat savitar. I'm also glad this back half isn't about changing events and we can really get some good story to the end.

Also I still think the best thing about this show are the self reflective moments. It feels like that's been missing lately and this episode brought it back to the forefront. It was also good use of bringing back dead characters with no confusion.

Looking forward to the musical episode.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
One of the better episodes of the season despite it being similar to the Arrow Crossover episode a few months back and the Speedforce episode from last season which are basically recycled Sci Fi stuff similar to the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine wormhole moments.

Compared to the other CW DC shows the characters on Flash this season have these really over the top sacrificial martyr moments, it's getting a little silly.

Savitar seems like he's future Barry gone evil from his powers or so they imply. We'll definitely get some resolution with Jay Garrick come the end of the season. I'm curious if Violet Beane gets pumped up to series regular for next year.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
The whole thing with Wally being so stupid he allows himself to be manipulated at a level even a six year old would be suspicious of, I mean come on. Then the whole Barry has 10 minutes to save him from the portal but just stands there like a DBZ character waiting for Sabutar to pull him in.

I can understand dramatic effect but it just looked stupid. You're the fastest guy on the planet and you just stand there while he gets sucked into the portal by Sabutar not even trying to save him. :shakehead

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The whole thing with Wally being so stupid he allows himself to be manipulated at a level even a six year old would be suspicious of, I mean come on. Then the whole Barry has 10 minutes to save him from the portal but just stands there like a DBZ character waiting for Sabutar to pull him in.

I can understand dramatic effect but it just looked stupid. You're the fastest guy on the planet and you just stand there while he gets sucked into the portal by Sabutar not even trying to save him. :shakehead

Savitar! :rant:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Barry's not the fastest guy on the planet. In fact, it seems like every other speedster they find is faster than him.

Hell, Wally's apparently faster than he is and it took what? A week of training?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I found last night's musical episode to be hugely entertaining. Always like seeing the unexpected talents of certain cast members. I was most blown away by Jeremy Jordan (Winn) - that guy is a phenomenal singer.

The episode worked well as both a standalone crossover and as a bigger part of both shows' timelines, which was also an impressive feat. Also a refreshing change of pace for Flash's more dour storylines of late.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I didn't like it. Why does it seem like almost every network tv show always does a musical episode (mostly sitcoms) and its always awful and cringe worthy. I give them that this wasn't as cringey as other shows usually are at least.

If it wasn't obvious I really don't like musicals. :laugh:

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
This was the best episode of Flash and Supergirl of the season. ;)

Seriously I thought it was a ton of fun. Jordan is a great singer and as someone who watched Glee, it was nice to see Benoist and Gustin sing again. Benoist was beautiful in the black dress.

I did have issues with the ending as I felt the writers didn't know how to end it. Still it advanced the plot of both shows and it was fun, something lacking on both shows this season. Maybe it really was the best episode of both shows in their respective seasons.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
"How have we not made a gif of that?" :laugh:

When it comes to musical episodes in drama series, nothing will ever top the Buffy one. Fun, cheesy (overly at times), not the most memorable plot but it did get the two stupid idiots to kiss and make up with their girl-/boyfriend. Didn't know Jeremy Jordan had that voice though. So is there some kind of a comic book equivalent for Darren Criss's character? The Gleeman?

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
"How have we not made a gif of that?" :laugh:

When it comes to musical episodes in drama series, nothing will ever top the Buffy one. Fun, cheesy (overly at times), not the most memorable plot but it did get the two stupid idiots to kiss and make up with their girl-/boyfriend. Didn't know Jeremy Jordan had that voice though. So is there some kind of a comic book equivalent for Darren Criss's character? The Gleeman?

Music Meister (I think) debuted in the Batman: The Brave & The Bold, a cartoon from a few years ago. He was voiced by Neil Patrick Harris in that (I heard rumors they wanted NPH for this too, but it was a longshot that he'd want to fly to Vancouver and spend a week filming the show when the voice part likely meant he shows up in a recording studio for a couple hours in a t-shirt and sweat pants and then gets to go home to his family.

I don't know if he ever appeared in the comics outside of possibly tie-in comics with the originating cartoon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad