TV: The Flash (CW)

Flash20

DC Homer
Oct 16, 2009
Buffalo
The Flash writers have so much explaining to do I am just so confused right now...

The only person I could see being future Barry is the original Barry Allen from season 1 where he was fighting reverse flash

Even if that's true I don't know how he turns evil:laugh:

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The more I try to think of this, the more I can't quite wrap my head around it, it seems. My first thought was it must be Flashpoint Barry - when Alpha Barry left that timeframe to have his mother killed again (which would be cause enough to enrage Flashpoint Barry), Wally had suffered what appeared to be fatal injuries in his fight with The Rival. Flashpoint Barry also didn't have the close relationships with any of Iris, Joe, Cisco or Caitlin to really build him up like Alpha Barry did.

But...

None of that explains how Savitar Barry would have lived through the exact circumstances that Alpha Barry and friends are going through now. By everyone's admission, this is all history to Savitar Barry - so the only real explanation is that he is a future version of Barry where some new tragedy has befallen him, which could give Barry some new future event to try to avoid (if they successfully thwart Iris' murder, can they now successfully thwart Barry's transformation into Savitar?) We've already seen that the timeline has changed thanks to Barry's trip to 2024 - 2024 Barry didn't know who Savitar was, whereas Alpha Barry now does. So it follows that while Savitar comes from one possible future, he's not necessarily Alpha Barry's future.

I'm getting a headache just thinking of it.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Was kind of like last weeks Arrow. Fillerish type episode except at first I did think I was going to not like this idea. And just like Arrow it was so-so. Weird choice for it being near the finale.

Got some information at the beginning and end at least. Favorite part was Cisco talking about the past and see Killer Frost's reaction. Thought that was a nice part.

Jan 3, 2012
Honestly didn't add much, was clearly a filler, but I guess gave some character development. Would honestly have these fillers than a shorter season. Atleast they bring something and add some character devt.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The Flash writers have so much explaining to do I am just so confused right now...
They stopped trying to explain anything in a coherent fashion during S2 (Jay as Zoom never made any sense). I checked out of S3 quite some time ago, have just been reading synopses & the like to keep abreast of the plot, hoping against hope that the writers wouldn't be so gob-smacking stupid again. But, nope. They just can't help themselves. Time travel is just an excuse for the writers to throw any wacky idea they want at the plot & characters and say, "Time travel!" as the reason.

I think I can safely purge all the episodes I haven't watched off the DVR now.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
The episodes since they've come back from break have been good as singular episodic, but as a season long plot, whatever. The Joe/Cecile stuff was good last week, as was Amnesia Barry this week.

I still don't get why he became specifically Savitar. Did wounded Time Remnant Barry take up Hindu studies? Where did he learn of the power/mysticism/etc.

Next week it's weird they're going to have a buddy team up with Snart with only two episodes to go.

Nest season the writers really have to do a better job of planning out the season and keeping the themes/moods consistent with the filler better placed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I really enjoyed that episode which surprised me, as I thought it was going to be some totally off-balance filter, out of thematic step with the rest of the season. But they managed to tie it into the overall story well while also advancing some characters forward in the process. Not without some nitpicks, mind you.

First, what it did well;

I thought that was Candace Patton's strongest episode. Not that she's not a good actress overall, but just that she's rarely given much to do in an episode apart from being a target for bad guys. In this one we got to see her actually be the one to guide Barry around and discover things within himself, a role previously filled by the likes of Harrison Wells from Season 1, or Joe and Cisco. It also looped nicely back to their first meeting and showed us more of the bond these two shared as children (which is equal parts important to their romance, and slightly off-putting due to the sibling-like relationship they share)

The episode also established that Savitar has promised something to Killer Frost, thus ensuring her cooperation. I appreciate that we have an explanation for her allying with him beyond just a whimsical desire to inflict mayhem upon everyone around her. Although, excuse the pun, her parting shots to the team were cold as ice. Ouch, Julian.

Lastly, I think The Flash is at its best when it feels like you're watching a comic book - the inherent lighthearted goofiness of the premise and its Rogues' Gallery, the jokes, the camaraderie...a lot of that has been lost since Season 1, with a few exceptions. So this episode was a bit refreshing.

Now, to my nitpicks - or rather, nitpick:

While it would have been unethical to never give Barry his memories back, did they really need to rush to do it so soon? They clearly had Savitar disabled, which means they could have kept him off the grid to push past the point where Iris is supposed to die. They also uncovered that Killer Frost was getting something in return from Savitar, and she needed the team's help as much or more than they needed hers...so why couldn't they put the screws to her and say "what in the hell is he promising you?"

(For the record - my money is on Savitar promising to bring Ronnie back, thus ensuring Caitlin's cooperation)

Also, with Savitar disabled, they could have taken the opportunity to track him down and imprison him. But, you know, plot devices...

Anyway. Solid episode that I was surprised worked well in the framework of the current over-arching story.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So he has all this time to figure out how to stop Savitar, and his best plan is to copy something that Savitar is clearly prepared for?

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
So theory

[spoil]HR finds his purpose in helping his friends and somehow dying in place of Iris (the face copy thing). But how would he even switch if Iris was already captured? She was already captured when he was having his speech with Cisco towards the end. I don't think she's dead. Or at least won't be when all is said and done.[/spoil]

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So theory

[spoil]HR finds his purpose in helping his friends and somehow dying in place of Iris (the face copy thing). But how would he even switch if Iris was already captured? She was already captured when he was having his speech with Cisco towards the end. I don't think she's dead. Or at least won't be when all is said and done.[/spoil]

Didn't one of the future visions vibes have HR shooting some kind of laser at Savitar?

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Didn't one of the future visions vibes have HR shooting some kind of laser at Savitar?

I know in one of the ones we saw he was there. Didn't seem to be this time. And not sure if Joe was there in the other ones and maybe he was in HR's spot.

Also no Julian. Not even a mention of his name and where he is at.

KesselBuiltMyHotrod

Aug 2, 2005
MA
So theory

Could have switched when Barry was hitting him with the proton pack.

Doesn't make much sense though because at some point Barry would learn she's not dead and then Savitar would know.

Quack Shot

Nov 14, 2010
SoCal
Could have switched when Barry was hitting him with the proton pack.

Doesn't make much sense though because at some point Barry would learn she's not dead and then Savitar would know.

Wouldn't know until later though. I think that theory is correct. Makes sense to me. At least a lot more sense than some of the time travel stuff lol

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Am I the only one that really enjoys wells acting range? The guy goes from super serious scientific, to mad genius, to genius, father, worthless goofball, etc . hes pretty much the only redeeming quality this show has

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad